Heavy/Scratch: Thunderwing... WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Sep 15, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, this is one that's been done many times already... in some ways I stuck to the formula, while in others, I tried a few different variations. Things are still "in progress" at the moment. I reached a point when I had to step back, take some pictures, and ask for some feedback to make sure I'm heading in the right direction here.

For some reason, I've never been a big fan of Thundewing, so this is kind of a weird project for me. I was aiming for a sort of fusion of the IDW Thunderwing we see a lot of these days, and the retro Marvel-style version of the character. For that reason, I went with leaner, more tapered limbs, rather than the thick, powerful appendages that the IDW version has, and that this core body comes with.

As usual, I like to take my shortcuts... no fancy scratch-building here. Mostly just parts-mixing. There are a few things I haven't attached permanently yet, like the cannon turrets on his shoulders or the chestplate from the Deluxe Thunderwing (which I'll be cutting down so it merges more smoothly with the Cybertron Megatron chest). The screw-heads facing forward on the arms is an easy fix, btw... I just changed my mind about the orientation of the shoulder armour at the last minute, but didn't feel like opening them up again to swap them properly. :) 

Thoughts?

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

neat ! are those quad changer vader parts i see?

3. SMOG

Yup! I found one at Value Village or $4... figured I could use those parts for something. :) 

zmog

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i really like him, but i think separating the waist and upper torso parts of the generations thunderwing would do a lot for his appearance. Right now it kind of looks like he has two waists.

5. SMOG

Good point. I was planning on adding some more hoses to him (which seems to be the theme for G1 Thunderwing), especially around the waist area, but now that I look at it, you're totally right. It would look much better if I just sawed off the waist area and grafted it to the larger waist area.

Still lots of work to go on this, so thanks for the input! :thumb 

zmog

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well done.

7. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is looking nice I love it

8. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Smog you SoB!
    I love you!

9. SMOG

Thanks guys! I might even finish this one! :D 

zmog

10. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Lot of potential here. Who is the donor of the head?

11. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    That is awesome!!!

12. Stormvapor

Cybertron Scourge or one of his variants, or even a knock-off of said figure.

13. SMOG

You got it, it's Cybertron Scourge. I sanded down the top of the head to give it a smoother, rounder shape. I think that Scourge face is just about perfect for evoking the Marvel/G1 toy versions of Thunderwing. The original Pretender toy always looked like some kind of oni-inspired samurai mask to me.

Next weekend I'm going to try to get that chest plate attached properly, and I can start painting some of the parts. I'm planning on giving him a smaller Pretender core robot as well, that will attach to the regular nosecone... but I'm not sure what mold to go with. Some kind of space-jet would be cool. I don't want him to be too small. Deluxe or a large Scout maybe.

So far I'm thinking one of the Energon Aerialbots, Animated Jetstorm or even the Generations Thunderwing figure... any suggestions?

zmog

14. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

This is a great start. I've had my Thunderwing project sitting on hiatus for over six months now all because I couldn't find a suitable head. Cybertron Scourge seems to be an excellent choice however. Being that I'm working on the Leader Class version of Energon Megs for the base, I hope that head will fit. Are you using the Voyager Class Megatron or the Leader Class?

15. SMOG

Unfortunately, this is the Voyager sized Megatron mold, and as you can see, the Cybertron Scourge head is almost too small.

For the Leader class... oof! That might be tough. I can't think of a head right off that would match the scale of that figure (and would have a good "Thunderwing" vibe). That demonic grimace really defines Thunderwing to me, and you might need to look at heads from other action figures to find something that has the right look (or sculpt something from an existing figure?).

Maybe you could work something out of an Animated Megatron or Magnus head? You could cut the jaw down, but the fact that both of those figures have articulated mouths means there's already a seam in the face to work with. You could just widen the mouth a bit to get that Thunderwing "samurai mask" snarl. It would still take a bit of work to get it right though.

zmog

16. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely look into those two and figure something out. In the meantime, I'll look forward to seeing your Thunderwing. Keep up the great work :) 

17. Stormvapor

Hey Smog...How about, using energon Aerialbots treadshot mold, for his inner bot?

18. SMOG

Yeah, I was thinking of using one of those Energon Aerialbot molds... they're sufficiently "spacey" and I could even use an energon plug for the attachment. I'd like a slightly larger figure if possible, but for the moment, I think the Energon jet mold is the front runner.

zmog

19. Imposer

Imposer Well-Known Member

Looks great. Hands seem just a little to big though. Can't wait to see it finished.

20. SMOG

I was wondering about those big meaty fists. I agree... they seem maybe just a bit too big (of course, his arms and legs are a bit large for that body in general, but I think he's pulling it off).

If I find some good hands that fit in there, especially if they have slightly claw-like qualities... I might swap the fists out. Otherwise I'll keep them, since they do give him a sense of power that smaller hands may not convey.

Thanks for the comments! :) 

zmog