Thundercracker - Henkei or Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Hey guys! Need some help with a decision. Thundercracker is my favorite Decepticon and seeker. But right now I can only aford one of these.

No, I didn't get the BotCon TC, because I missed that con and I'm really miffed that my favorite seeker is the only one that's not been available for retail. But now he's available from Henkei! However, I did buy an extra Classics Starscream a while back in hopes of kitbashing him into TC. But I have since learned that my kitbashing skills suck, and fear I'd be right back where I started with no Classics TC, minus the money I used on kitbashing supplies like paint that I could have put towards just getting the toy. Plus I'm afraid that if I don't order Henkei TC soon he'll be sold out again.

I already have MP Starscream, but TC was the one I wanted more. Normally, I'd be a no-brainer to get the MP first, but even at $70 or so Henkei TC is still cheeper.

So I have a dilemma. Which TC is worth getting first?

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    id say MP as thats gonna sell fast just like Skywarp the Henkei will always be around and will likely be released by Hasbro at some point

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP much better quality, Henkei has lots of issues.

4. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I dont know about that release by hasbro part .... that would really take away from Botcon. if their excul. are being sold retail. You saw the shit -storm that $70 vs. $200+ started so imagine what $12 vs $200+ would start.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go with the MP.

There's 2 main reasons I'd say this:
    1 - The quality of product you are getting is far superior for the price it's at with the mp. I love the classics figures, but MP are more intricate, detailed, better painted, and I'd say show accurate than the henkei figures. They're also larger, have more accessories, great boxes, and overall give you more for your money

2 - You say your kitbashing skills are not great right now, but it takes practice. You could take time and develop them while you save for the henkie tc. if you still feel they suck by then, then by the henkei. otherwise, don't worry about it and just kb one for yourself

6. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Masterpiece.

Because paying that high amount of price for a Deluxe-class figure with seemingly questionable QC, just don't worth.

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This

And also this.

Go go MP!

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I only say that its a possibility cause Hasbro is releasing the new Starscream in Henkei colors so it would be only natural that they would release Thundercracker and possibly Skywarp again too

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I'd go MP. The henKei TC seems to be riddled with QC issues.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For all we know the Masterpiece Thundercracker could have a lot of quality control issues too. This is the 4-5 time the mold is going to be used.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hasbro wont release TC because of the BOTCON one, noT the henkei one. Henkei SS isn't an exclusive so they can recolor and rerelease it here like that.

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    If you can afford it, then Masterpiece.

13. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

This is a joke, right? Trying to choose between an overpriced deluxe or an awesome Masterpiece figure shouldn't be a difficult choice.

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes people would say get the Henkei because they always claim it has better quality but it had some major issues. If you can afford it, go with the MP version but hopefully it does not have too many issues.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

MP for Christmas it is then! I was leaning that way, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys!

16. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

yeah really if you're gonna spend 70 on a deluxe, you might as well cough up 30 dollars more and get the Masterpiece.

MP's a big and beautiful where the Classics TC seems to be having alot of QC problems. You don't want to spend 70 plus shipping and then be disappointed.

MP all the way.

17. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    theyre different figures totally, but i also gotta say MP, for the money..i got henkei TC and it has a few QC issues..mine just had the loose shoulder cannon prob but some have had far worse..MP would be great...but then again, the henkei one wont be cheap later on, seeing that its an exclusive too..so make sure u dont want the henkei one before u buy the MP! :D 

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'd go for (and have done) the Henkei. I just don't like the MP Seeker mold. *shrug*

19. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Personally I'd go for MP Thundercracker every time. I've got all the other MP Seekers and can honestly say that I love them to death. Their alt modes are jaw droppingly detailed, as are their bot modes, and even with that STUPID hip kibble, i still rate them as the best Seeker mold ever. However, toys to be constantly fiddled about and played with they aint. They are fragile and they do have some issues with standing up unaided.

Now, usually, if you want something to fiddle and play with, I'd say go for the Henkei, but the high price and the reported QC issues on Henkei TC might mean he also becomes a "stick on a shelf and admire" item, rather than a "fiddle with in front of the TV" item.

Yeah, to be honest, a lot of this will come down to which fig you personally like. End of the day, if the Henkei screams "buy me" to you and the MP doesn't, it's kind of a no-brainer. Sometimes TF purchases are more than the sum of their parts.