Minor/Repaint: thunderbot designation overcast

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tffan1194, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tffan1194

tffan1194 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well here is the second thunder bot overcast

While overcast is the oldest of the thunderbots he is far from randomly telling a old war story in the middle of a calm moment he is designated as the defender of the group his dual rocket launchers serve the job well he is so deadly with his rockets he can keep a whole army at bay while waiting for backup generally in the form of his teammate thunderstruck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. tffan1194

Ebay:
    No one has anything to say :( 

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's a good idea. It's just that the execution is a little poor, but I think that's due to you just starting out.

4. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For painting the stripe I would recommend using some masking tape to kind of outline the area you want painted white. The paint might bleed under the tape a little, like it did on me, but you should get a much sharper line.

5. TeamgaiusYGO

TeamgaiusYGO Active Member

I'm no expert in fact I just started out, but multiple, thin coats of paint will help the end result look less "globby". Also mask up the windows, if you see that the paint is bleeding or running through. Yeah, Painter's tape will help with that line, instead of just freestyling it. Overall, the figure is not bad, just a few little things would help.

6. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm just starting out customizing too. Giving it multiple thin coats is very important. The first 2 or 3 coats won't look like you are accomplishing anything, but keep it up and you will get a much smoother finish and fewer brush strokes. It doesn't look like brush strokes was much of a problem for you though. That is a very nice blue by the way, kind of metallic looking.

7. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Good for just starting out, and don't be saddened when not a lot of people respond...people tend only to comment when they see amazing work (IE near professional level), but you shouldn't worry about that.

I do have a suggestion: What makes a transformer pop is having 2 main colors and then a third, minor color that is used for highlights. For example, Optimus is always red and blue, but he will also have some silver or orange or white that makes the paint apps pop.

If I were you, i would pick a third color and use it for highlighting and details...looking at the Thunder logo, I'd go with orange for the highlight color. Don't overdo it...just using orange on the face (maybe the horns or around the forehead?) and on the body in a few spots.

I'd also take that white stripe and, on either side, add a THIN orange line. That would take care of the unevenness of the line and make the detail pop.

8. tffan1194

Ebay:
    Ya I was going to order some orange paint but I was going to only use them on the voyager class figures because they have a better potential for it

9. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Another recommendation, Paint the white first, mask it, then the darker colors. You'll need fewer applications of paint. No one starts off at expert level, but a lot of guys get their start in another medium, like fine scale modeling. The important thing is to learn as much as you can, and then practice. Mistakes are life's best teacher.

10. tffan1194

Ebay:
    Thanks guys ya this is like my fourth custom im starting on my third thunderbot ill use all these tips for it