THS-02 Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sonscreen, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had THS-2 Convoy since it came out and after months I'm still loving this little fellow. At first I thought about selling the trailer on Ebay but after seeing it... it's pure greatness and chuck full of little gimmicks.

Awesome posability and incredibly tiny (was very surprised when it arrived). If you like Optimus Prime or dig a great articulated TF go get him now.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great bot mode with cool acessories.

pure ass in alt mode :( 

ive got a slight defect in mine tho. one of the tabs that lock the arm in alt mode is slightly deformed thus it wont fit in the slot properly :( 

3. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

OMG, KA likes to pose Prime like Barbie! :p 

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    apparently mine came on Friday. It is a Christmas present from my parents. I got to look it over a minute ago and my god is it a beautiful sight. I can't wait to play with him and actually transform him. He is even smaller in person and that rocks. GOd I can't wait to see more like him. 21 more days... 21 more days!!

5. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's fun as hell. I could put 'em down for 2 days. Btw, if you got the 3" Titanium G1 Prime, his rifle can fit too.

6. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I realize this is an older thread, but I figure a few people would like to see a proper review for this guy. Even after these years, THS-02 Convoy remains one of the best Prime toys ever made.

First the bad news. Let's go to the alt mode. I won't mince words, Optimus' cab does not look all that amazing. As some others have said about THS-02, this was a figure made for its robot mode first, and alt mode second. But it's not a total failure. It rolls around well, and even has rubber wheels! The trailer I'll get to a bit further down the road.

The transformation is complex. I actually had to refer for the instructions on this one, and when those failed me, video reviews were necessary. Theres a lot of small pieces that need to be shifted and unclicked. I'll say it right now, this is not a child's toy. Give this to a kid and it WILL be broken, no doubt. I'm not going to go over the steps for transformation because it's just too complicated.

Once you've got him fully transformed however, he's pretty stable. My only gripes are that the pieces that make up his sides like to swing out, and his forearm armor likes to snap off, but these are minor quibbles.

Prime is damn articulated. His legs can move forward and back, and out at the hip, and rotate as well. He's got not one, but TWO joints in the knee. His feet can move forward and back, and have some rotation at the ankle as well. His waist can turn a full 360 degrees, and has some movement of its own as well. His head rests on a ball joint. It can turn 360 degrees and tilt all the way up (great for flying poses!) His arms can bend out and rotate at the shoulder, rotate just below the shoulder, and bend at the elbow. His hands can rotate as well.

And speaking of hands, he's got multiple sets! Closed fists, open fists (for holding his gun), gripping fists (for holding the Autobot Matrix of Leadership, to be discussed later), open hands (like he's reaching out for someone), and a couple special hands. One is for the right hand, and can be used as a "pointing" hand. The other is a modified open fist, which can be used for poses to hold Prime's gun with both hands. It's bent at the wrist so that it can grasp the side handle. This hand goes in the left arm.

Prime can assume a number of poses, and the diecast in his legs makes him pretty well balanced. But you can really go all out thanks to the stand that's included with the figure. The stand itself is a red chrome Autobot emblem, with a piece that sticks into the "forehead". Prime attaches at his crotch via a peg in the stand. The stand as a small movable arm, so Prime's angle can be adjusted in a number of ways.

Prime also apparently has some kind of "assault mode" that can be achieved by flipping the side tanks on his legs forward, and his smokestacks. I've never seen it in the show, but then, I'm not familiar with all of G1.

As far as his accessories go, Prime is primed (forgive me for that terrible pun) for battle. He's got his aforementioned gun, which can be held in either hand, or both hands at once. He's also got his energon axe, which takes the place of one of his existing hands. And locked away in his chest is a very, very tiny Autobot Matrix of Leadership. It's a pain to get out unfortunately, and it does not stay plugged inside the chest well. Careful not to lose it! It's very well painted and detailed, but it does not open or light up. It can be held with the special set of "gripping" hands, best done while playing Stan Bush's "The Touch" in the background. Prime also has a jetpack! The jetpack simply slings over the arms and mounts fairly firmly onto the back. The jetpack is well sculpted and even has adjustable nozzles. You can get creative and plug Prime's gun, or the refueling line into the top of the pack. When not in use, the jetpack, like all the other accessories, can be stored in the trailer. The jetpack can also be mounted on the front of the trailer.

And now's a good time to talk about the trailer itself. This could've just been a lump of grey plastic, but Takara really pulled out all the stops here. The trailer has rubber wheels, opening doors, a spring-loaded ramp, side-blocks that swing out, a folding support peg near the front, and a rotating hitch. The jetpack, as mentioned before, can be mounted on the front. And we haven't even opened it up yet.

Opening the trailer reveals a number of things. For one, we've got Roller! Roller is a neat little vehicle with turning wheels, a folding siren, and more! Roller can hold either a refueling line or Prime's gun! He wheels around very nicely, and is detailed perfectly. The trailer has peg holes that can be used to store the refueling line, the gun, and the energon axe. There are also folding compartments that can be used to hold the extra hand sets (but if you're using the energon axe, you'll need to get creative on where to store that extra hand, as there are only six slots).

The trailer also has a very nicely articulated repair/communications/attack pod. It's mounted on an arm connected to the base of the trailer. The arm itself can be posed so that the pod can stick out above the trailer when it's closed up. The pod has its own articulated claw arm, swing-out handles, and a communications antennae. The canopy also folds open to reveal the cockpit! There are no missiles or weapons, but it looks great regardless.

Depending on how you arrange it, the trailer can be used as..well, a trailer, a firing platform, or a repair bay for Prime. Prime himself can peg into the trailer for easy fixing.

So, in conclusion, the alt mode gets a 9/10, and the robot mode as well. But overall, I've got to give this thing a 10/10. Yes, there are some ways the figure could've been engineered better, but it's just so damn fun. I haven't been able to put it down! For any Prime fan who wants what's essentially a "mini-MP-04", don't hesitate to snatch this guy up. I paid $36 for mine, so be on the lookout for a good deal.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That reprolabel upgrade kit is a worthy buy If you have him

[​IMG]

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    when you finish applying all those, take several pics, and post them over in Radicons, in the Reproductions forum!!

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Man, I want to get a THS-02, but there's always something higher up on the list.

10. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been looking to get a Hybrid Convoy, and wanted to see how he looks next to other figures. A couple requests are: Revoltech Megatron, Masterpiece Skywarp, and any figures that might be remotely in scale.

I am aware of his size too. That's the main reason I want him.

edit:
    And a picture of him standing on DVD MP prime's base and His own base. (the shiny autobot symbol)

I promise I'll write a review here when I eventually get one.

11. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    enough dude just buy him, hes awesome

12. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    number one, I'm not a dude. That's the second time today on this site I've been called a guy or a dude or something like that.

number two, I can't spend money on stuff that I don't need right now. I'm being affected by the economic crisis and all.

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You should be happy being called a dude on this website. If people know you are female, tons of friend requests come your way and people pester you more.

At least that is what everyone else says. :D 

14. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Here's a few pics of him :

With Revoltech

[​IMG]

With Masterpiece Skywarp

[​IMG]

Also enjoying a ride!

[​IMG]

Comparison with Classics

[​IMG]

And Classics Prime being a jerk

[​IMG]

I don't have the DVD Prime base though, and his own base is tucked away with the box in storage, though you can see it a bit a few post back.

This figure overall? Awesome! But to me there's only 1 flaw on this figure, and it's not the alt mode :p  But the rubber tires on this are quite thin, a few of mine are cracked or split, and you can see other might follow at some points.

But I wouldn't turn the figure down for that though, doesn't show while in display, and not obvious unless you look for it. Just something to consider and wanted to warn you about it.

15. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    I've read a lot about him having split rubber tires, but I probably wont transform him. The alt mode isn't worth the effort of transforming him to me.

16. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

wow, he is even shorter than revoltechs. I am thinking about getting him, but is there always a tiny gap in his waist? that kinda annoyed me a little.

17. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Ths-02 Hybrid G1 Convoy

I finally got this about a week ago. I love it. However, I will not be mentioning his vehicle mode because I have yet to transform him and it kinda well...
    sucks. There, I said it.

Robot mode:

Pros:
    • Tiny
    • Great sculpt
    • Super articulated
    • When you pose it, it stays that way until you change it
    • Opening chest with Matrix
    • Awesome gun (I took the little extra handle off and keep it in the base robots opening cockpit)
    • Has gatling gun gas tanks/ gun smokestacks!
    • Different hands

Cons:
    • Not really in scale with much
    • Die-cast

Accessories:

He comes with 8 accessories, all of them great little add ons:
    • Roller
    • Trailer/repair stand thing
    • Axe
    • Stand
    • Gas line thingy
    • Different hands
    • Gun
    • Matrix

This figure was well worth the money. If you like small Transformers, good engineering, or Optimus Prime, you will probably like this figure.

9/10
    The only things holding it back are it's truck mode and the fact that he has no one in scale as articulated as him to fight, but he is still a great figure. Plus, you've got to love the tiny articulated turning Roller.

This has been a Howling review, see you next time, and have a nice day.

18. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Good that you finally got one :thumbs2: 

While I'm not a big fan of die cast, I think it help this little guy, giving him some weight and more importantly some solidity.

19. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i got this guy last week too, truck mode looks horrendous but everything else is great! it is a mini MP.