Heavy/Scratch: Thrust head sculpt. Could use a few hints and tips!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cashanova, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

I've started a kitbash project which will eventually give me a lovely set of seekers. The only thing I was missing was the cone style heads from Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet. After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that it was worth trying to sculpt the head from scratch and make a mold of it.

After a few tests I've settled on Games Workshops "Green stuff" which I found just a little more easier to manipulate than milliput, and it polishes up really nice.

I've kept over work to a minimum, molding a small amount of greenstuff at a time, letting it set, sanding and polishing it to shape, then adding a little more.

The basic shape has really come along and I’m very happy with it at this stage, but its almost time for adding fine detail. (Panels, vents)

I've been using sand paper and a dremel with a buffer tool to bring the sculpt up to a fine finish before each new layer but I’m worried the sand paper and dremel tool will be too harsh for the fine details and just wear it all away.

Are there any hints and tips to removing imperfections and scrape marks without dulling the detail?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

2. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

I'm just curious on why go thru all that trouble? Classics Ramjet's head is pretty
    accurate already and the seekers face is pretty darn small to sculpt details like he already has. The only diff. is that Thrust has yellow eyes and also the seekers have a darker face instead of those that are stock.
    But I may be in the wrong direction 'cause you don't specify if your work is based on Classics.

3. Ptitvite

I'm just curious on why go thru all that trouble? Classics Ramjet's head is pretty
    accurate already and the seekers face is pretty darn small to sculpt details like he already has. The only diff. is that Thrust has yellow eyes and also the seekers have a darker face instead of those that are stock.
    But I may be in the wrong direction 'cause you don't specify if your work is based on Classics.

4. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I gotta agree with Ptitvite here, use the Ramjet head and use your skills to make some Dirge wings and maybe Thrusts as well..

5. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I gotta agree with Ptitvite here, use the Ramjet head and use your skills to make some Dirge wings and maybe Thrusts as well..

6. Ptitvite

BTW, welcome to the boards!!!

7. Ptitvite

BTW, welcome to the boards!!!

8. Cashanova

Thanks, great to be here! Didnt say it was "Classics"! As everyone seems to be going a little Classics seeker crazy, I thought I'd try and do something a little different.

These Puppies are gonna be "War Within" Style. Galaxy Force Starscream for the base model, differnt wings and paint jobs.

I'm also still on the look out for a set of G1 Dirge and Ramjet wings, so if anyone has any for trade let me know!

9. Cashanova

Thanks, great to be here! Didnt say it was "Classics"! As everyone seems to be going a little Classics seeker crazy, I thought I'd try and do something a little different.

These Puppies are gonna be "War Within" Style. Galaxy Force Starscream for the base model, differnt wings and paint jobs.

I'm also still on the look out for a set of G1 Dirge and Ramjet wings, so if anyone has any for trade let me know!

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Whoa, very original, and I haven't seen many bashes of that mold.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Whoa, very original, and I haven't seen many bashes of that mold.

12. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I was recently thinking about those characters and started checking, online, stores to see if they had any. Most everyone is sold out. I forgot about the smaller mold when the Big Starscream came out and only have the GF version and the Cyb version. (who would be thrust due to his brownish color) The Titaniums may have also made me forget about the C/GF mold but they didn't even release that mold as all of the seekers.(seems like theres always a Sunstorm, though).
    I also wanted to look up the difference in the comics since they had two different ways of transforming in the comic (if I remember correctly).

On topic: I don't know what would work for the details your talking about unless you could cut them out from an existing mold and just glue them on. Zoids have lots of different shaped details that might work but it is hard to cut out small pieces, too.
    Good luck on your bashes. Make sure you show them off here when your done. Sounds like your going to do an excellent job.

13. manyoufactsure

I was recently thinking about those characters and started checking, online, stores to see if they had any. Most everyone is sold out. I forgot about the smaller mold when the Big Starscream came out and only have the GF version and the Cyb version. (who would be thrust due to his brownish color) The Titaniums may have also made me forget about the C/GF mold but they didn't even release that mold as all of the seekers.(seems like theres always a Sunstorm, though).
    I also wanted to look up the difference in the comics since they had two different ways of transforming in the comic (if I remember correctly).

On topic: I don't know what would work for the details your talking about unless you could cut them out from an existing mold and just glue them on. Zoids have lots of different shaped details that might work but it is hard to cut out small pieces, too.
    Good luck on your bashes. Make sure you show them off here when your done. Sounds like your going to do an excellent job.

14. Cashanova

Thanks dude! I picked up 6 GF Starscreams at a UK con last year and then the Cybetron version. (Yes he's Thrust). Its taken me till this long to get enough free time to start the project!
    I'm not going for 100% accuracy to the comic, more an interpretation of.
    The Titaniums were very close to the original design but the GF Starscream is such a lovely toy!

So far all i've managed to do is afix Thrusts wings, I stil need to add a little detail to the join. And of course i've started to sculpt the head.

Eventaully I'd like to give them all ball joints in the neck. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the hands with articulated fingers, but thats too big a job for me to scratch build all those hands!

I'll post some pics in a couple of hours of Thrust wing attachment and the head sculpt so far!

Yes zoid parts are gonna come in handy!

15. Cashanova

Thanks dude! I picked up 6 GF Starscreams at a UK con last year and then the Cybetron version. (Yes he's Thrust). Its taken me till this long to get enough free time to start the project!
    I'm not going for 100% accuracy to the comic, more an interpretation of.
    The Titaniums were very close to the original design but the GF Starscream is such a lovely toy!

So far all i've managed to do is afix Thrusts wings, I stil need to add a little detail to the join. And of course i've started to sculpt the head.

Eventaully I'd like to give them all ball joints in the neck. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the hands with articulated fingers, but thats too big a job for me to scratch build all those hands!

I'll post some pics in a couple of hours of Thrust wing attachment and the head sculpt so far!

Yes zoid parts are gonna come in handy!

16. Cashanova

Heres what i've got so far. Still early days.

As you can see i've used the original head as a base. Its gonna be some time before i'm happy with the detail.
    (Please excuse the naff photography)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Cashanova

Heres what i've got so far. Still early days.

As you can see i've used the original head as a base. Its gonna be some time before i'm happy with the detail.
    (Please excuse the naff photography)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. manyoufactsure

The head looks good but for some reason the G1 wings look out of place. I was going through the War Within comics to see the seekers but have only seen Thundercracker, Skywarp and Starscream, so far.
    Did they show Thrust with the larger wingtips or is that your interpretation?

Kinda late now but it might have been easier to place the engine intakes, from an Energon Skyshadow, on the existing wings.

Same with Dirge. I would just paint the existing wings a color that is close to G1 dirge. Just maybe add some small wingtips further forward.

Good luck

Edit: It looked like either Thundercracker or Skywarp had the cockpit, further back then the other two. I would just shape and paint a new cockpit on whichever one it is.

19. manyoufactsure

The head looks good but for some reason the G1 wings look out of place. I was going through the War Within comics to see the seekers but have only seen Thundercracker, Skywarp and Starscream, so far.
    Did they show Thrust with the larger wingtips or is that your interpretation?

Kinda late now but it might have been easier to place the engine intakes, from an Energon Skyshadow, on the existing wings.

Same with Dirge. I would just paint the existing wings a color that is close to G1 dirge. Just maybe add some small wingtips further forward.

Good luck

Edit: It looked like either Thundercracker or Skywarp had the cockpit, further back then the other two. I would just shape and paint a new cockpit on whichever one it is.

20. Cashanova

Its not too late to make changes at this stage! I know the wings seem a little large. I only really noticed in the photo as they look great in real life! I may still use the G1 wings just bring them closer to the shoulder mounts. The great thing about the G1 wings is the hole that holds the gun pegs!

But first... I gotta finish the head. I took your advice and scavenged for some interesting "Zoids" parts, and after some cutting and filing found some great pieces. I'll get more pics up when I learn how to use a camera!