Non-TF: . . . . Three!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here is my latest:

One of my favorite things about Robocop has always been his grand entrances. In part one, the thug gives a count to the old man to open the safe. Thug doesn't make it to "three", since Robo is there to clean this guy up. The entrance (and I've always loved the sound of the doors opening):

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I like this picture, and I love the scene, but it seems to me like doing it in this style sort of deadens the effect of the shot. You've managed to really translate not only the texturing and the shading of the film into this piece, but in doing so, you sort of lose the juxtaposition of the glass/wood vs. steel/plastic that really emphasizes robocop during the entrance. I'm trying to think of a way to do this in this kind of style, but the only ways I can think of would be dramatically and significantly varying the line thickness between robocop and the foreground/background, changing the direction/style of the drawing between the two (crosshatching instead of full shading/shading lines in a different direction?), or adding color.

So while I think this style worked really well for showing the movement in the highway scene and the lighting and emotion when lewis finds murphy, I don't think it works as well here. You could probably get some great use of it in the "lab" scenes where he's sitting in the chair though.

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think that's a completely fair assessment, and I agree. One thing I am interested in with doing some of these scenes like this is seeing what can be created by them. In other words, part of what I enjoyed about working on this one is that it's not a 1:1 translation, but the doors, bars, and other diagonals create a bit of a new composition while staying true to the original composition of the scene. I think it's interesting that the doors point to Robocop with their diagonals, and the doors frame him as well. I froze this scene specifically at this point for those very reasons.

I had thought about blurring everything but Robocop, but I think what I wanted to do was to simply sketch this and move on.

4. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are very good exercises in positive/negative space. Something I'm not great at. I like it (partly because it's Robocop), but I almost think I would like to see less detail, more hinting? Overall I like where these are going.

5. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    :thumb  :thumb . How I wish I can draw as good as you.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey quaddy. DO NOT USE BLUR EFFECT. i saw u use that in the murphy thread and its a cop out n just looks terrible n amateurish.

U can shade/texture it if uf doing it manually. Or if u go the computer route use halftone effect.

That said, i thought this looked fine technique wise depending on taste/preference airnorth dude could just be talking out of his ass. Lol

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You hit the nail on the head. These sketches just find me wanting to try something new. I've been in an illustrative slump for a while, so basically I'm just forcing myself to draw *something*. Also, as I've said before, I just wanted to try something that I don't normally do.

I actually made the decision to just black out the doors rather than draw in all of the bars. I felt that the details on the doors and the outside were already cluttering up things. I mainly just wanted the lines that were in perspective pointing to Robocop as well as the lines on the doors that frame him in the center.

Practice, practice, and practice!

KA, thanks for your comments. With as much as you draw and have over the years, it's always appreciated.

I made the decision to blurr out the background on the "Murphy!" sketch, for a few reasons. I almost wanted to try it on this one, but I figured the foreground and the backgrounds weren't competing so much with the subject matter. As for the sketch with Lewis, it was. Again, as stated above, this is all just about experimentation and sketching for me.

As far as shading on illustrations, I don't mind employing pencil shading, but I'm not a huge fan of shading with ink a whole lot. That being said, I may end up doing some just for that reason :lol 

Regarding Aernaroth, you're probably right :lol  (Love you, Aernaroth! :) )

Thanks again so much for all of your comments, guys. They are very much appreciated!

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, shading in ink is tricky, i may have meant texturing/hatching instead to create subject-fore/background separation.

Im sure if u look at some old school bnw art (alex toth, wally wood et al) u could find the correct technique.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yep!

With these, I wanted to try more of a Miller style with just solid blacks and whites. I think his illustrative style really fits ROBOCOP, and I've not really tried my hand at it much.

Also, I've really enjoyed the iconic black & whites I've seen of Robo as of late, so I was going for a bit of that, too.

Again, your help is very much appreciated! Thanks so very much :)