Threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TimothyVernon, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

there are so many times when people post something.. and someone else redirects them to some old thread that already has an extremely large amount of posts.. what's the point.. why not make a new thread to rediscuss whatever is being posted, people join this site all the time and i know most people aren't going to want to read through a 20 page thread.. it's almost unfair when people do things like that.
    yeah it may take up webspace.. but this site is already huge, so one more thread doesn't seem like it's going to make much of a difference.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't see the point in re-discussing the same topics over and over in different threads.

It's wasteful and annoying. All pertinent info SHOULD be relegated to a singular thread.

People may not want to read through 20 pages of posts, but it's a lot better than doing the same in three or four different threads. I don't see your logic at all.

3. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see both sides of it. Why have 3 threads devoted to the same piece of news, yet if the thread is already 25 pages long, sometimes it might be best to start a fresh page......but then that can lead to all kinds of problems too........

4. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but his point i feel is a good one Megamoon. I mean look at the posts, you are 4,000+ posts into the board, and a guy like Timothy is a posting Virgin compared to you @ 121 posts! What would you have him do, re read every post that he has missed for the past year. Where is the love for the guys and gals new to the forum I'm not saying we re-invent the wheel here, but lets cut the new guys who wanna discuss thangs that are important to them without the grief.... I mean i see both sides, but I feel the hammer comes down hard on people who wanna start a new thread on an old topic. Just my thoughts tho, and not calling you out Megaman, just replying.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Post counts shouldn't have anything to do with it. Do you think I remember everything I've read? Of course not.

If I DO want to remember something I thought I read about a topic (particularly news), or I'm looking for info I know nothing about, it's a lot easier to search through one thread as opposed to many to find whatever it was.

When you get separate threads going, it's inevitable that false info and different rumors get all twisted into each one, and by the time you read through each, you don't know WHAT the hell is going on anymore. I've seen that happen several times.

A big problem is that most people won't do a simple topic search before posting yet another thread about something that has been discussed to death several times already. I'm guilty of this too, but I'm always grateful when someone points me to whatever it is I posted about, and I don't mind if my new thread is closed/merged.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like it when threads are merged for the kill.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I've kinda wondered this too. I mean I've been around for a couple of years, and have noticed thread topics that pop up every couple of months, such as "how do you count your collection?" "favorite autobot/decepticon/series" etc. and when they do pop up, people complain, yet on the other hand when posts are added to really old threads, people sometimes then complain of "zombie threads." it'd be interesting to see a mods perspective on this.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ah relax guys, be nice to the noobs.

i usually find a new twist whenever these recurring topics come up.

that or i spam. then kickback/boardwise sends me a PM. then i STFU.

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If the previous topic thread was created six months ago or longer I don't see it as a problem in most cases...but when it just reaches the 3rd page...nope not a good thing...

10. fabexmax

News Credits:
    again megamoon, i wasn't trying to call you out. but lets be honest, post counts mean alot, or why else would the be right under everyone's name?! It shows who has been around for a while, and who really knows the board and other members, and their activity on the boards. I swear i didn't mean to single you out, and if i did i apologize, but again, i feel new takes on old threads is sometimes good, and that people are kinda quick to jump on people's threads for them to be moved, closed, deleted, etc. Looking thru 30-40 pages of info can be annoying, and if you just skip to the last page, and ask a question that has already been talked about, lets say on page 27, you get flamed for asking a question that was discussed 2-3 weeks or months ago. So whats a person to do? IMO of course.

11. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

when you're in each forum section there are 15 threads on the first page.. you're telling me that if you've already discussed a topic and have been on the board much longer you can't ignore one thread for people that haven't discussed yet..

and the search sucks.. especially if what you're looking for isn't in the topic thread.. i'm not gonna sift through pages of thread to find something i wanted to talk about. that's ridiculous.

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I understnad what you are saying. Take the Alt Camshaft thread in TFGD. Someone reposted in that thread instead of making a new one, and a mod locked it within hours, calling it a "zombie thread." There's no real right or wrong way to do it. if someone other than a mod complains about it, just ignore them. There will always be AT LEAST one who is going to bitch.

13. fabexmax

News Credits:
    I agree with that too GogDog. For example, its cute how this convo ended up in a NON-TRANSFORMERS general thread. Go team!

14. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I see both sides, but since I don't often create threads, it's tough for me to take one side or the other definitively, However, I slightly leant to the side that says "merge". For the most part, I think this place does a great job of regulating itself. Threads are often merged that are similar and useless threads that are total deadends are deleted/locked. This place is a living organism and it's thriving just fine! If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I do agree, though, that if a particular thread goes to 4+ pages or so and it's not unique (eg. "Let's See Some Cool Stuff"), then starting a new one (I prefer it if you're unaware another exists, mind you) is fine by me. Otherwise, it might gets nuts around here with people constanttly searching for old threads to make sure they don't rehash something. Hell, I'm always a bit worried about that too when I do create a topic, especially since I have had numerous problems with the search engine here.

I say, let the mods. handle it as they have, they're doing a swell job, IMHO! Keep it up, gang!

15. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    I agree with Timothy on this.

And the next quote is what happens when someone searches. :( 

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If there is already a recent (within a couple months) thread discussing a topic, then we will close the thread and redirect to the existing thread. There are cases where we will close a topic regardless (dancing Soundwave anyone). And if someone is reporting old news...Well it's old news and will be closed. That's how things have been going on here since the sites inception, there's no need to change it. Duplicate threads cause clutter, and rarely ever add anything of substance to an already existing discussion.

This is not open for debate and is not going to change, so there's no need to discuss this further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.