Thread for IDing 90's Chinese G1 TFs on Ebay being sold as 80's US versions

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Might Gaine, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Basically, Hasbro released G1 in China 5 years after it was released in the US. I have an article about it here. The packaging they used was almost identical to the original 80's packaging. (The Aerialbot and Dinobot Chinese releases were also mail order exclusives in Japan, and the Chinese releases also were sold in Europe and Australia.)

If it doesn't have the little name sticker in the corner (either because it was removed or it didn't originally come with one), they're very difficult to tell apart. People often buy these thinking they are the original 1984 releases, but they were actually released around 1989 ~ 1993. Even AFA often mistakenly identifies them as originals!

Since it happens so often I decided to just make a thread dedicated to exposing auctions for 90's Chinese versions where the seller says they are the originals.

First Chinese TF:

Wheeljack
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1984-G1...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Note the abbreviated Copyright information. "Made in Japan under license from Takara" is missing. This means it's the Chinese version.

Second Chinese TF:

Prowl from same seller:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1984-G1...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Again, same issue as above. Note the abbreviated Copyright info.

2. Might Gaine

News Credits:
  3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Excellent idea for a thread, man. :thumbs2: 

4. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the toys themselves say "Made In China" on them? I would assume they would since they are official Hasbro releases.

5. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

one way i think you can also tell is look how thick the tape is on the prowl and wheeljack. the u.s. boxes had alot thinner tape on the sides.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the post man.

7. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Once again how do these companies that make these "Knockoff's" set the prices ($80 or higher) for a fuckin' knockoff??? They are NOT the real thing! And people pass them off as the real thing!

You know it kills me that some people "Like" this and "it beats spending $$$ for a real one" that's idiotic if it's a KO it should NOT be made in the same box as the originals (Hence the KO)

How is this allowed to happen? Why doesn't Hasbro sue these KO makers? They are COPYING the ORIGINAL boxes,etc without permission right?

Sorry but anyone that spends the money on these KO and KNOWS that they are spending it on a KO are idiots because they are contributing to the problem....:wtf: 

Sorry this is not the same as this but I'm sick of seeing the "Re-Issued" Dinobots etc. that are KO's going for big bucks? This just urks me the re-issed comm. series that TRU had a couple of years ago that was LICENCSED was only going for $30-40

I just don't get it....:crazy: 

8. PeterNorth

check this one out. its chinese and its AFA graded !! ebay item #130186883271

9. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    These aren't knockoffs.

Basically, there are two types of Chinese toys out there:

1) Licensed Chinese releases from Hasbro released from 1989 ~ 1993
    These are the ones that often came with a little Chinese sticker in the corner. Most of the G1 through the '88 era toys was produced in this way. They are not knockoffs, although people have in the past accused them of being so, because they didn't know enough about them.

2) Counterfeit/Knockoff/Bootleg transformers from a company in China called Zhong Jin (and Metroplex from Kidi Toys)
    These are the ones we have seen a lot of recently. They only have about 20 different knockoffs. They started with Beachcomber, then Optimus Prime, then Laserbeak and Frenzy and they have been increasing their different types of bootlegs more and more each month. Recent releases include all the Dinobots and several minibots, and Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Gnaw, and Devastator are coming out soon.

I agree that Hasbro should take action against Zhong Jin and Kidi Toys. If nothing else, the knockoffs have made collecting vintage toys extremely frustrating and difficult.

10. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Good catch!!

11. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I *think* the Powermaster era stuff may, since the packaging does, but I'm pretty sure every else just has "(C) Hasbro 1984/5/6/etc." and then the location and "Takara" part are blocked out. That's how it is on a Seaspray someone showed me, at least.

I honestly haven't seen a lot of these loose. Most of my research has browsing sites like Taobao, and they don't usually show good pictures of the toy itself, let alone the Copyright/Manufacture location stamp on the toy.

12. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

All of the Chinese TFs have a filled in spot where the word Japan would go. They also used crappy plastic and paint apps. I have had many of these pass through my hands including a sealed Megatron and Headmasters. The easiest way to spot them while on EBay is to look at the copywrite on the packaging. It will be missing any reference to an origin of manufactering. No made in japan or "printed in Hong Kong".

13. PeterNorth

yup it looks like AFA needs to go back and do some homework....

14. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah, AFA is completely clueless when it comes to the 90's Chinese toys.

15. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

Here's a Chinese Cyclonus: EBay# 280188518731

16. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Excellent read. Thanks for posting!

17. chongklc

chongklc New Member

Wow, very informative, thanks a lot...just a few questions though:

1) Does this fact (being original but made in China in the late 80's and early 90's) de-value the transformer being sold?

2) If it does, is it because it was made at a later period (late 80's and early 90's as opposed to mid 80's for US manufactured transformers) or because it was made in China

Hope you can help me out on my questions...

Thanks.

18. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I'm also curious about this.

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I think it's complicated. The main problems are (A) for a long time many people couldn't tell the difference between the originals and the Chinese releases unless there was a sticker--there just wasn't much information out there, and (B) for a long time people thought that the Chinese toys were knockoffs--again, not enough information out there. Because of these misunderstandings, people have probably either payed too much thinking it was an original 1984/85/etc. release or payed too little thinking it was a knockoff.

So where they should be valued at given a good knowledge of what they are is uncertain. Maybe as the information permeates a bit, we will start seeing a true reflection of their value to collectors. Personally, I feel like the close packaging to the original release warrents a higher price than something like a Europan Classics reissue. But obviously if I'm going to spend $1500 on a sealed Autobot car, I'm going to take the original 1984 release over the 1990 Chinese release :)  Just my opinion, though.

20. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

My opinion is that they should be around the same as the euro-classic line.