Thoughts on Volcanius?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dropkick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. G1 Evac

G1 Evac The Last Knight

News Credits:
    When we were kids we love combiners and dinobots, and we wondered why the dinobots are a team of 5 but couldn't combine. Then there are kids in school who would boast that their dinobots could combine and they became legendary for a while before we realise they were assholes. We tried to see if there were hidden transformations in the dinobots which would make them combine.

30+ years later, Hasbro made our dreams come true.

VOLCANICUS! WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

FINALLY THE DINOBOTS CAN DESTROY DEVASTATOR!!!!

• Like Like x 6
  2. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire BUMBLEBEE MUST DIE!

News Credits:
    Yup! Like I've been sayin, Hasbro's Dinobot Combiner makes me want Shuraking. The official version pushes me to the 3rd party version. Look at that nice shiny chrome like G1. Compare that to Hasbro's ugly flat gray/silver & mustard yellow paint. :confused:  And the size? Dinobots should be HUGE. Hasbro's are too freakin tiny. As a kid I was disappointed with how small the G1 toys were so I definitely don't want to repeat history.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes not like the Key to Vector Sigma or the Autobot Matrix. We definitely didn't have any of these plot devices back in the old days.

4. Jumacas

Jumacas Well-Known Member

This has already been addressed. Dumb ideas are not a current invention. One would just, reasonably, hope, that as the years went by, we would have less of them, rather than more. 1-2 particular items of somewhat unknown properties, like the Matrix, would be a good thing in a more fleshed out fictional world. But explaining every single thing with space magic and McGuffins, doesn't only cheapen the fiction, but the potential for storytelling as well. There could be many awesome stories about combiners becoming a thing through scientific advancement in times of war, and what that would mean for the characters involved. But now, all they have to do to combine, is touch a magic thing, and boom. That's lazy and unimaginative.

5. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC in Shanghai this seems to have been perpetrated by the transformer cigarette trading cards that were going around in the late 80s.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well I see what @Jumacas was talking about making things more grounded into reality than with space magic empowered mcguffins. Still I hate to say this but it is what it is that this line is directing at kids like someone mentioned earlier, but at least Hasbro tried to at least appease certain collectors. Sure, Hasbro should have tried harder, but knowing them sometimes they kinda cheap out. Anyways I'm going to give this line a shot and besides I get what I paid for and if not than we have options and good lord we have alot of options.

7. Jumacas

Jumacas Well-Known Member

I don't see that as an excuse though. In fact, quite the opposite. The kids deserve better. For many people, including myself, Transformers acted as gateway sci-fi. It got us interested in science fiction and even science, in general. And, believe it or not, gave us stimuli to be creative, artistic and look stuff up. That's the right thing for children's entertainment to do, I feel. Even from just a purely cynical, business standpoint, kids today have a million different alternatives and sources of cerebral stimuli. And if they don't find it in Transformers, they'll find it somewhere else. Kids are not dumb. Once again, Hasbro, is yet to realise...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm open to the idea of Dinobots combining. Curious as to if/how they're going to handle this in the IDW comics.

9. Ezilla82

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    True, Mr. Stimuli so very true. But Hasbro won't listen to us, normal people, but hopefully they will because damnit we the ones making those people flithy, stinky rich!

• Like Like x 2
  10. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The enigma of combination is not new in anyway, at least not the idea. In energon there was the spark of combination (which lets face it is an early version of the enigma)

11. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

The enigma of combination sounds like a shitty card from Magic: the gathering

• Like Like x 1
  12. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

Volcanius sounds like a rejected pokemon name

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If everybody combines, what is so special about combiners?

Maybe then everbody is like a powerranger or something.

• Like Like x 3
  14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think combination should come at the expense of some lifespan or spark. There should be a collateral risk for combining, making it a last resort type of thing. Also the merging of 5 or 6 minds to create a singular mind should have some eort of psychological backlash on the separate members after they de-combine. Like PTSD

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ezilla82

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Like Grimlock actually liking that salami and Slag/Slug liking the baloney. What?!! Mindblown!!! My bad being sarcastic here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. big hank

News Credits:
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In idw at least, combiners that are merged using the enigma naturally want to stay in combined mode (most of them at least) and could eventually subsume the minds of the individual components so they no longer exist. Some of the combiners had to fight against their combined forms mind a bit to de combine, others have learned how to better control their combined form

• Like Like x 1
  18. big hank

News Credits:
    Interesting Tigatron, thanks :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

It's a pretty unique looking combined mode. I like it, but I doubt it will see much use. My interest is in the individual Dinobots.

20. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of note the ones that have had more issues decombining after exposure to the enigma are
    Optimus Maximus/ultra prime (can't remember which name they used), superion and defensor (the last two didn't decombine for the entirety of the combiner wars arc if I'm remembering right). The only one that seems to have not had any issues is victorion