Thoughts on Volcanius?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dropkick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Every combiner limb/torso is compromised because of its ability to combine.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

To be fair, each component of Shuraking probably costs as much as the entire Volcanicus. Plus, I read that while beautiful and imposing, it's also an unstable mess.
    having said that, I like the concept of a dinobot combiner. The main problems of the Hasbro one are that I wanted him to be as big as Devastator (dinobots for me are the biggest and strongest "regular" bots, so I want their combined form being the biggest and strongest too) and I don't like the design shown in the prototype pictures. The first thing, I have to live with. The second, I hope that we'll be able to find a better configuration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Guy who lives in Nemesis Prime's sleeper cab

Nice individual dinobots, but not impressed with "Volcanicus", or that name even. It'll be Extinction in my head canon. Wings need to be on the back / shoulders, not a fan of that weird combiner head either. A Grimlock head with a crown (similar to the combiner Starscream) would've been better than that tuning fork antenna / bunny ears noggin. Everything just looks really jumbled in general. Needs a lot of work via 3P upgrades & customizing to redeem imo, and that's a shame

4. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could not disagree more, these are toys, there will be gimmicks! The Dinobots have their CW ports well hidden, they look great.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Jumacas

Jumacas Banned

News Credits:

All right... But, I'm more concerned with how these new features will be retconned into revised G1 lore, if they will be. And they seem... Arbitrary.

Otherwise, about the toys, themselves, you have a point. Of course, anyone can do what they like with their toys. And these look like they offer these options. So, yeah, cool.

Finally... I'm really not sure. I watch many conventions of many different things, and leaks are a staple in anything. But, still, I haven't seen such mediocre reaction... I don't disagree with you, of course. I just have a feeling it was more than just than a missed element of surprise that caused that mediocre response. It's the feeling I get from online discussions too. Like, just "not bad", but not something great either. Or "too little, too late".

6. Jumacas

Jumacas Banned

News Credits:
    These are also characters. The gimmicks don't fit the characters. And all will quite possibly influence the lore, which is what I'm most interested in, as a fan. Regardless though, if all you're interested in are the toys, as toys, regardless of the characters they represent, then, indeed these do not seem bad at all.

7. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Honestly, I would have passed on these if they didn't combine (now they are insta-buys). I have the G1 Dinobots and these are so similar I wouldn't see the need for them otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Interestingly, the G1 toys also had a gimmick that didn't fit their comic and cartoon characterization: pilot cockpits.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Jumacas

Jumacas Banned

News Credits:
    Thankfully the people who made G1 (and therefore Transformers, in general) were not completely incompetent. I hope you will forgive my concern for the people who are working on the franchise nowadays.

10. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Wrong place for this thread. It needs to be moved to: Transformers Toy Discussion

This is the News and Rumors section.

11. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Volcanicus won't see the light of day in my collection...

I'm only buying the 4 Deluxe's and Slash while FOC Grimlock will remain my main Grimlock. This POTP Grimlock and disappointing pass.

These Dinobots would've all been better quality if they didn't have this Combiner gimmick. Hell, I would've preferred they were Voyagers and/or Leader class.

Seriously, picture a Slug or a Snarl that was close to the same scale as CW Sky Lynx....People would not be whining about them costing too much either!

12. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Hasbro ripping off what now?

OH, you mean their own IP that 3P Companies had no permission to use in the first place?

• Like Like x 7
  13. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    If the Limbs of the upcoming Titan class Predaking were retooled as the four missing Dinobots in the CHUG lineup with a Grimlock being a Leader class torso replacing Razorclaw but still all worked out in Beast and Robot mode as well as they would in Combiner mold that combiner mode the combined mode still wouldn't see the light of day in my collection but I'd be all for the 5 individual bots!

14. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, but more so because more and more people are admitting that they can do without this gimmick for the Dinobots. So lets chuck it under a rock where most wont see it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

To be honest, I kinda like it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I like it, and I'll def be picking it up. I wish it had larger feet because that seems to throw off the look for me. I also like that he isn't just Grimlock wearing the Dinobots as limbs like Shuraking. I like my combiners to look different than any single member when combined...which is why I am a bit disappointed in King Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I think it looks great, but I'm a fan of the G1 aesthetic. Even the size works for me. Hell, I wish Predaking was 4 deluxes and a Voyager.

Not to mention, that 3rd party accessories will make it look even better.

• Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    He looks impressive.

His name sounds epic, more epic than Magmatron.

19. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Volcanicus is a must buy for me. I like the form although I may switch Slag and Snarl to being the legs while Swoop and Sludge become the arms. For individual Dinobot displays, I already have the complete Planet X dinos to serve as their CHUG selves. If I need to get a Predaking to scale with Volcanicus, I'll just get the Neoarts KO of Feral Rex.

Pretty sure also that Perfect Effect / DNA designs are already on board with making third party options for the feet and additional weaponry.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I love combiners. I love dinobots. I love combining dinobots.

• Like Like x 2