Thoughts on Volcanius?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dropkick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    What are your guys thoughts on Volcanius (G1 combined form of Dinobots) as a character and as a toy?
    Do you like his initial design?
    It's definitely going to be better than the monstrosity.

2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Artwork is good, the prototype shown off has to be mistransformed. Overall I don't mind the dinobots combining but I probably won't get them except slash since I already have a set of dinobots

3. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro ripping off third party ideas that never worked

• Like Like x 2
  4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The idea first appeared in hasbro works courtesy of the beast and the energon mega dinobot combiner and pcc grimstone (the first two are standard dinobot characters while grimstone is all new)

• Like Like x 9
  5. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

Haven't heard much about Volcanicus as a character. Seems like, with the antisocial and dim components, Volcanicus would at the least be an incredibly dumb bot. Maybe that's why Slash is there, to direct him because he's too stupid to recognize anything other than a fellow Dinobot? The Dinobots seem like a very dysfunctional group to give a combined mode, character wise.

Toy itself is ugly. The shoulders in combination with the thin waist look awful. It's also more likely to break than past CW Combiners because of all that clear plastic. Then there will be all those stickers peeling off, making this likely to be one of the worst Combiners released in this format.

• Like Like x 5
  6. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion this works
    10423864_531125783653596_8431685025243143835_n_1407625241.jpg
    (GCreations ShuraKing)

• Like Like x 7
  7. stad

stad Well-Known Member

I don't hate it, but I'll never use it. Dinobots are not combiners, to me. I know it was the newest fad, but I don't feel everyone has to be a combiner now - just like with TR, I don't feel everyone has to be a headmaster now - it's just a feature that I'll ignore.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I said some bad things about Dinobots being combiners, but now I take them back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to admit this was more along the lines of what I was wishing for. Volcanicus is cool, and I'm okay with the Dinobots combing, but Volcanicus looks too much like a bug.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks ugly and I don't like the idea of combining dinobots. I'm never going to use it.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those who are against the idea of Dinobots combining clearly had no imagination as a kid. [​IMG]

I for one think Volcanicus looks awesome and it will be the first Combiner I shall collect myself.

Funny that's the configuration Volcanicus is going for except the limbs had switched sides.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    Gonna reserve complete judgment until the Takara version is spoiled and I see what improvements they make. My biggest issue with the combined form as it stands now are those oddly placed/shaped antennae/horns/whateverthefuckthoseare on the combiner head. Grimlock's head in the middle of the chest looks odd too. Would be fine if the snout tucked in to the chest a bit more

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Does Grimlock come with a gun or sword?

14. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

FOC style sword

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm loving the idea of him so far. Helps that his head evokes a lot of the IDW Grimlock head in a way. the prototype looks wonky but I'm betting that he's mistransformed and once he's in hand we'll see him transformed properly. If not then we can at least figure out a way to make him look better like with CW Menasor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Combiner Wars was by no means perfect, but one thing it got right was relatively simple and streamlined limb bots that got out of their own way in gestalt mode. Volcanius on the other hand, looks like a hot mess.

• Like Like x 5
  17. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    They all look good, Combiners with uniform colors are fun. I don't need a Grimlock, I have the Animated one. But I do have Sky Lynx, and if these limbs work with CW torsos Sludge and Snarl will make for good legs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jumacas

Jumacas Well-Known Member

As far as toys go, they don't look so bad. I feel like having the dinobots combining disregards the characters quite a bit, though. It doesn't feel right for Dinobots to combine, you know? Oh, and the name is dumb.

And, these thoughts apply to this whole toyline, for me. Not bad designs for the most part, but a complete disregard for characters and lore over excessive focus on gimmicks. Everyone is now a combiner, a headmaster, a targetmaster, a powermaster, a pretender and does backflips at the same time. This is starting to border on circus act.

The audience response at Hascon, judging from the video of the presentation was the saddest I've seen in any convention. A resounding lukewarm overall reaction, from which, I bet Hasbro will only keep the "resounding" part, and sweep the rest under the rug and spin it to seem like a great success.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's pretty cool especially given it will cost only circa £100/$100 in total. For something that will be very playable with I am really excited.

No doubt we will get some perfect effect upgrades like hands feet and sword too. Shuraking is great and all but 4x the price and more of a display piece.

Also a unite warriors variant.

When you look at the current Titans Return/Combiner Wars deluxes they are pretty much G1 size of the regular figures so these will scale nicely on a G1 shelf.

Hasbro have pulled a total blinder with this whole POTP line.

• Like Like x 2
  20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Thing is you don't actually have to use the gimmicks on them if you don't want to. The Dinbobots are designed in a way so that if you don't want to use the combiner gimmick you don't have to and they won't be affected by it. Same goes for even most of the Leader figures in Titans Return where you don't have to remove the head for transformation if you don't want to.

The way I see it POTP is not only giving us updates of classic characters but they're also made and designed to have gimmicks are really a bonus and not exactly a required thing for them to combine. So that way people who want either way can be happy.

As for the reactions yesterday well that was really more to due with us already knowing that they're coming due to the leeks cause otherwise they'd be way more excited.

• Like Like x 2