Thoughts On Violence *Mild Spoiler*

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by NexusZero, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

It certainly sets the tone, doesn't it? War isn't pretty, violence has consequences, and the emotional repercussions must also be dealt with.

They didn't just casually kill Cliffjumper. His death showed how serious a threat the 'cons are. It obviously deeply affected his friends, especially Arcee. Even Jack, who never even met Cliff, was moved by their loss.

If they keep handling it this well I'll certainly be happy with the maturity on display.

- Coeloptera

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Parents who actually parent would best to decide if a kid watches this or not. Parents who sloff off with the tube on need the mediation.

Although they are just robots the fact that they have humanistic emotions and reactions gives them a believable side to kids. Most kids are smart enough to figure out it's a cartoon but there are psychological concerns with those who can't or fall into a mob mentality with other kids. There is no consequence for cliffjumpers death. It definitely shows an example of sociopath tendencies.

Personally I was surprised but man I love this show. It's got more impact then any of the others I've seen. Sadly when the toylines start coming I'm afraid that's when the story and toon will go downhill having to adjust for discontinued toys and new toys.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Bulkhead: "Miko, turn your head!" *rips out Eradicon's robo-guts*

I like how the violence has a sort of maturity to it (i.e. not violent for the sake of it), even if that maturity kinda flew over Miko's head...

4. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

"No Sacrifice, No Victory" actually means something in the TF Prime universe.
    I was surprised at how violent TF Prime got, and even more surprised (and pleased) that it all came with weight. The violence isn't glib, gratuitous, or trite. (Not counting most Eradicons or Zombies)
    People, in general, should be aware that getting sliced in half makes you dead, you know?

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Arcee is still feeling the emotional repercussions 3 episodes later. Her whole relationship with Jack is predicated on how she was feeling when she met him.

Prime looked crushed as he watched Cliffjumper's zombie corpse fall.

They came back from the mission in emotional turmoil. Jack even noticed it. Arcee's grief actually made him empathize with her. He even shut Miko up because she was being a tactless dipstick.

They had a funeral for him for Primus' sake!

Or am I misinterpreting your statement there? Because you did say how much you love the show.

- Coeloptera

6. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One moment concerning violence that stuck out for me was the battle the kids found themselves stuck in aboard the 'Cons' ship. The shots from the kids' perspective were truly disconcerting. The tone wasn't "Oh, cool Robo-Fight!" It was "Oh, crap. This is scary!" And all the kids were shown to be affected by what they experienced. It's an admirable approach to entertainment geared toward children growing up in a decade of war.

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never thought I'd see a human get strung up in chains and jabbed with an energon prod in a TF show. Not to mention that the satellite installation was devoid of any human activity, and Soundwave just happened to be on the premises. Yeah. Have to read a little between the lines to get that one, but I think it's pretty clear that he either 1.) incapacitated them all somehow. Maybe used some kind of soundwaves to put them to sleep? Or 2.) he killed every last one of them.

I do like that there's consequences for the violence. Too often, especially in Transformers, being blown up only means that character X gets rebuilt into a bigger, stronger character Y. I'm also not a big fan of TF media that portrays the bots and cons as nigh invincible and immortal, so it's good to see that they are vulnerable to their own weapons. In many of the anime TF shows, they just stand there and absorb tons of ammunition with no harm done. Don't think that'll work this time around.

8. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that part surprised me, to have the children in the middle of an active firefight dodging con parts & showing both the scale (it gave me a good sense of how the bots & cons look from a human perspective) and a taste of the horror of their fight

9. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

The violence was perfect. Well animated and easy to read the moves... Even the gun firing had personality. Don't. Change. A. Thing. Lol.