Thoughts on the Titanium Ark

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sidecutter, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As others have noted before, this ship bears very little resemblance to the Ark we know from the cartoons and comics. The complete ship bears some resemblance to an Autobot shuttle in an overall manner, but still pretty far off, while the detatchable front end by itsef does seem to resemble the Ark we know fairly well.

My thought is, what if the Ark we know, is not necessarily the complete package, but only the primary command sections of the ship? Or perhaps it is something akin to a scoutship or battle portion that could be detatched for recon or combat, leaving the main portion of the ship behind, safely out of harm's way, to allow for better maneuverability or range? This was the idea with the ST:TNG Enterprise being able to seperate the saucer from the rest of the ship. Perhaps it was even meant to be a landing craft, letting the primary ship sections stay in orbit to provide oversight, support, or just because landing the full bulk of the ship may not be necessary or feasible. The main section could even have been meant as an auxilliary part, for use mainly during extremely long noyages.

Why then, did we only see this "combat saucer", you ask? Perhaps the ship was incomplete when it had to be launched. Or, perhaps the main section was in orbit, and they didn't have time to link up with it due to the attack. Maybe it just wasn't needed for the trip the Autobots thought they were going on.

Also, if the bulk of the ship was not an integral part of the ark, that might explain why the stated crew compliment of 300 was never evidenced on Earth with that origin. 300 could be the compliment of the *complete* assembly, with the compliment of the Ark we know being much lower (as seems likely, from what we had seen of the Ark).

Thoughts?

2. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good thoughts. Kinda works in the overall asthetic of the design, but consider that in all of it's various incarnations, it was still about the same size as the Nemesis. So Either the Ark was just a short range ship that needed to have a Stardrive section to traverse great distances, (which would make the Nemesis small by comparison) or Hasbro wanted to combine the style of both the Ark and the Movie Shuttles and slap the name Ark on it to sell it.

3. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i agree. it doesent even resemble the marvel UK ark, or ANY comic adaption rather. it resembles more the movie shuttles, with alot of modifications

give us a g1, guitar pick shaped ark, the size of the starwars titaniums !!! please!

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Personally, I think it's just more of a case of Galoob not knowing what the hell they're doing.

5. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Waitamminit.... the front end does detatch? I pulled on it (it looked like it might) and stopped, because I wasn't sure and didn't want to break it.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I have a question about the stand. So the clear plastic stand plugs into the bottom of the ship, and at the bottom of the stand is a hole that attaches to a peg that presumably is on the Autobot symbol. But eh..mine doesn't have any such peg. Am I missing something...er, besides a peg to attach it to?

7. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Titanium ark is the G1 Ark like Classics Megatron is G1 Megatron.

Same, but different.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Personally, I get more of an Autobot Shuttle vibe from it rather than the Ark proper. My suspicion is that they had the design ready to go and simply put the name on it for promotional purposes

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here.

10. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just assumed it was from the movie, since the front end detached in the movie....it's not perfect, no TF is.

I would like to have some type of Nemesis ship now..and not a repaint of the Ark! LOL

11. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Maybe it's what the Ark looks like in the new movie...

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    The stands do not have pegs...why, is beyond me. I have heard people finding pegs on stands (autobot and decpticon) seems like it's rare. Could have been an oversight...the Ark should have a peg. Any bump to my desk and "plop" it falls. I have all TF titaniums that have been released to date in the states, and I don't have any stands with pegs. :banghead: 

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree that it looks more like the shuttle. However, if you compare the front piece, it is detailed just like the ark. It's as if a small ark was attached to the back of a shuttle.

Weirdwolf, yes the front does detach. In fact, when I opened my ark it fell off as I was taking it out of the package.

14. Alareth

Alareth Member

You are 100% percent correct about it being a pre-existing design. As a matter of fact, the design predates the entire Transformers franchise.

I know this because I owned the original version of this toy in 1979 when it was called the Milton Bradley Electronic Starbird

I for one am not fooled by this sham in the slightest. I'm just trying to figure out why they did this.

15. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The idea that the Ark as we know it was only part of the overall complete ship, yeah, that's pretty much where I was going. And yeah, that would make the combined ship absolutely massive. Hence my speculation that maybe the rest of the ship had one possible purpose being use for extreme long-range missions. This is something the Autobots probably didn't think they were going to be setting out on when they launched, so under such a circumstance, they would have left the auxilllary section behind, crashing the combat/command/recon portion, whatever function you want to give it.

I agree, in overall basics it's certainly closer to the shuttles, but the crew compliment is FAR too big for anything that could be called a shuttle. That, and the front section still, to my eye anyway, bears more resemblance to the Ark we know, by itself, than the entire ship does to the shuttles.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually, could it be this is the "completed" Ark and the one that launched in the series was never completed because the Autobots had no resources to finish it? They weren't exactly well off for resources when the Ark launched, scratching about desperately for a handful of energy rods.

17. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I have to go with the "Hasbro stuck the name on it,because they didn't know what else to call it" theory.

I have to agree with Alareth on the "Starbird" angle. I, too, had a Starbird spaceship when I was a kid. And, this Titanium "ARk" looks like nothing more than the Ark from the TV series stuck to the drivesection of the Starbird.

18. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

There's always Energon Sharkticon.

19. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    Very true.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still for the life of me have not seen Nemesis in E Sharkticon.....can someone put up a side by side comparison and point it out for a old blind guy?