Thoughts on the Takara Animatedo Cybertronian Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ZeroEdge, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Highly interested in getting this guy now that I see him on sale. Is it worth picking this guy up? Or should I try tracking down a Hasbro one?

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the voyager one right?

not worth it at all, and i am talking about the hasbro version.....that mold is a pile of shit that deserves to be destroyed by launching it at the sun

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Have not been impressed with any of the Animated toys from Takara with ethy excetion of Blackout which I am still on the fence about getting.

4. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Blackout is one of the worst Voyager molds in recent memory, I'd stay away (you can tell by the time they designed him they were out of ideas and enthusiasm).

I've got a few of the Takara Animated releases. They're generally alright - it annoys me if the metallic painting doesn't fully cover that entire colour on the figure (see Starscream)

5. guard convoy

News Credits:
    blackout is bad? :inquisiti 

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    In almost every way.

7. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    i thought he was generally liked? weird.

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Consensus seems to be that the Deluxe version of Animated Cybetron Megatron is somewhat better (?)

I concur. It's like they started with Lugnut and made it worse. It's for completists only.

A large chunk of the desirability comes from the fact it's not that widely available. As a toy, it is just plain lackluster.

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    ^the deluxe megatron is amazing, the only problem is the legs are very loose on all of them practically, which is fixable, besides that it is a great figure

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I disagree with Sharky on Blackout. He's simple but decent. The only thing that annoys me is that, like with the movie Blackout, two of his propeller wings don't fold up nicely, so they always stick out like a sore thumb. I always take those off in robot mode.

True, his transformation is simple and there's not alot to him, but he's alright.

Steer away from the Cybertronian Megatrons though, both deluxe and voyager, both Hasbro and Takara.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like the mold :) 

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    It was suggested that one of Amimated's positive attributes is that in some cases they managed to 'squeeze' some fairly well-thought-out engineering into toys that are deceptively simple looking.

Blackout though... love him or hate him, he really IS a very simple toy. The transformation, the flat color scheme, his diminutive size, the fact that a large chunk of the alt mode becomes a (somewhat lacking) weapon, all work together to leave a toy that just pales in comparison to most of the the other toys in the line.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Oh yes, I can agree with that..it's all correct. It doesn't stop me from seeing him as simple but fun, I like the design :) . But you are right that there are definitely alot of better engineered toys in the Animated line.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Voyager Megatron is one of three molds I passed on from Animated. (Deluxe Bumblebee and Wrek-Gar are the other two.) He just seems too compromised.

As for Blackout, while he may be simple, he's still a great and fun dude, I'm very glad to have him.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Give Animated Voyager Megatron a very wide berth.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Overall I prefer the deluxe Megatron mold to the Voyager. It feels better-thought-out, for lack of better terminology.

I like Blackout, but I would've liked it a LOT more if not for two glaring yet easily preventable flaws:
    * Severely compromised arm articulation, which is hard to forgive considering there's no real transformation-based reason for it to be that way (best guess is maybe it was so the arms could hold up the disk weapon without sagging much.
    * The tail rotor disc weapon has nowhere to go on the robot mode except the hand. Lugnut can leave his tail mace attached to his back, and all Blackout needed was a tab/slot or two to do the same.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If I didn't own the Voyager Megatron, the Takara one is the one I'd buy. Truth be told, it's not a great toy, but the shiny silver finish looks awesome. My main dislike with the design though is the arm cannon. It's too big and too heavy.

Blackout, well, got to agree the arms aren't all that great, but I think he's a perfectly fine toy. I've had a lot of fun messing about with that one, though it's hard to argue with the points Feralstorm has raised about the arms and weapon storage. Still, it's a nice toy, I personally think it's a pity it will probably never see a US release.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Sol Fury i agree with you on that cannon arm, it's way to heavy and too bulky. But another issue I have with the voyager mold, is that my legs keep coming apart. There is a simple peg joint that just doesn't seem to have enough friction to keep them together. At least on my son's version it's not good. Everytime I have transformed it for him including the first time, it always comes apart.

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a little off-topic, but how can anyone hate Blackout? I can hit my girlfriend with the rotor weapon from like 5 feet away. :D