Thoughts on the new Optimus Prime voice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 8, 2018.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't realize it was a new voice, because Prime's voice never mattered to me. I cared more about how the character acts.

2. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Well-Known Member

I just want Gary Chalk to be OP again. He's got charisma and I enjoyed it a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

I think he works for a younger Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reynold1

Reynold1 Well-Known Member

I don’t like it. It feels like the lines are very forced and it doesn’t really match the emotions going on sometimes on screen. I’m hoping it gets better as I’m only at episode 6

5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

It's not so much that Jaketimus gets better so much as it is that from time to time he actually delivers a line better than usual. I'd say he's usually mediocre but passable, occasionally might actually pass for young Peter, and sometimes really bad. His overall baseline is better at the end than it was early on though.

6. Reynold1

Reynold1 Well-Known Member

Good to know it gets better, as it is definitely cringe-worthy at times. I will have to keep watching!

7. MetalkingRazor

MetalkingRazor Well-Known Member

Here and there, the actor seems like he is improving on his voice for Prime as the show continues, but as of now, his voice isn’t my favorite voice for Prime. I was a lot more intrigued with Prime/RID 2015 voice that Peter Cullen gave Optimus than what we are getting in Cyberverse. Even Neil Kaplan’s voice for Optimus was better. Though, I didn’t have much of a problem with Cullen serious voice and he didn’t make me bored. I wouldn’t be against there being instances of showing he isn’t always serious and that gets reflected in his voice. If Cullen ever did a younger version of Optimus or a in between younger and much older Optimus, I would love for his voice be closer to G1 voice. Even if not exact. I really do want the actor who plays OP in Cyberverse to continue improving. But right now, he doesn’t do much for me.

8. The Biggest Nut

The Biggest Nut custard creams and broken dreams

I feel like Megatron's VAs get a lot more room for experimentation, like with Jason Marnocha's Joker undertones in Combiner Wars, Corey Burton's calmer, more methodical version in Animated or David Kaye's bombastic warlord. On the other hand, Optimus' VAs haven't really departed at all from Peter Cullen's performance since David Kaye in Animated, which is probably because Bayformers brought back Cullen for Optimus but brought Hugo Weaving in for Megatron instead of Welker. Since they're arguably the most popular iteration of the franchise, Cullen's voice for Optimus is a much more integral part of the character that Welker's is for Megatron right now; this is the case for other characters as well, like Soundwave and Shockwave, who spoke in gargles in DOTM and ended up with radically different voices (or no voice at all) in recent incarnations, at least until Bumblebee. With Optimus, though, any voice that sounded different to Cullen's would sound off-putting to anyone who got into the franchise after 2007, including Hasbro's main audience for Cyberverse, so the best any Optimus voice can be is "it sounds enough like G1 Optimus."

• Like Like x 2
  9. AutobotStrider

AutobotStrider Well-Known Member

I can assure you, being Irish, that is certainly not an Irish accent.

10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz KABLAMO!!!

Ebay:
    I think Jake Foushee is trying too hard to sound like Peter Cullen. He should try to make the performance his own like how David K did in animated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KindaMagnus

KindaMagnus Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I have to watch it still but I will say there are times it’s not Cullen and they try other things and I really really don’t like it. Like in Animated. I can’t stand his Optimus.

12. KindaMagnus

KindaMagnus Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Lol. I actually just read this. Didn’t read the thread first. Beginner mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz KABLAMO!!!

Ebay:
    I'm also a fan of animated so I'm a bit bias.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    He's a decent substitute for Cullen. I hope he does get more of a chance to make Optimus Prime his own a little more in Chapter two.