Thoughts on the new Optimus Prime voice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Agreed although Prime/RID may be the most "boring" of all of Cullen Optimus's incarnation he still brings a presence to the role. I still listen and am in awe when I hear that voice. He still has life in him and feels like a living being but these impressions just come off as well robotic and don't inject that life into Prime like Cullen does.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    It’s not bad, but I would feel better about it if it wasn’t trying so hard to resemble Cullen’s Prime voice instead of doing its own however.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    would have preferred Cullen but if we didnt get cullen i would have preferred John Bailey. I mean if you are going to ask someone to do a cullen impression why not ask a fan who has done it before.

4. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Ebay:

5. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, he would have been better too.

6. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

He sounds like he's trying way too hard trying to sound like Peter Cullen. It'd would have been much better to give his own take

• Like Like x 1
  7. NathimusPrime

NathimusPrime Well-Known Member

I honestly hate it. While i'v generally enjoyed the series so far his line delivery is terrible. In fact most of the voice acting is ok at best.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SimbaTron

SimbaTron Black Transformers fan

News Credits:
    I for one like the voice but tbh I don’t really care if it’s Just a Peter Cullen impression but I can only accept Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime no one else.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's very saddening that we've gotten to the point where emulation supersedes quality of work. Cyberverse is more focused on what previous series it calls back to than creating a genuinely good show itself.

• Like Like x 2
  10. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Prime's voice seems empty. It's overdone and bland. It's a big reason I can't get into the show. The actor seems to be reading the script one line at a time and not as a coversation with another character. His lines always go dramatically down at the end of a sentense when it should flow into the next. Bad voices all around, especially Winddblade.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mega scream

Mega scream Fguyretftgu7

It's...okay. A little weird, but okay. Someone's got to take over Peter Cullen anyway.

12. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

*sighs* Not the best voice in the world, I"m not going to besmirch the VA, but man they should have at least allowed him to do his own take on the character. We've accepted all sorts of forms of Prime, why not another new one? Does he have the personality and the presence? Is he kind and compassionate and someone that comes off as a good leader and knows to learn from his mistakes? Then fine, he's Prime. The voice isn't the matter it's the gravity and personality behind it. Doing an imitation of Peter is not how you do this.

13. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Well, some people just have epically deep voices that can't be matched.

14. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

If the new guy can't match it without coming across as a bad impersonator, then he shouldn't try. Like I said a while back, Garry Chalk and David Kaye did their own thing, focusing on the performance. I don't know whether it's the voice actor's fault or the voice director's, but either way, this is not the way to go.

On the subject of epic deep voices, I really think that Keith David would make an awesome Optimus.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Actually the worst. It sounds like a guy trying to sound like Peter Cullen. Only it sounds like this:

I. Am. Optimus. Prime. Get. Out. Of. The. Way. So. That. I. Can. Hug. My. Son. Bumblebee.

I feel like if the voice actor relaxed and just did his own thing it actually wouldn't sound bad. But I hate this, and his dialogue's been pretty awful, too.

• Like Like x 1