Thoughts on the new Optimus Prime voice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

What are your opinions on the new Optimus Prime voice in Cyberverse. I just watched the 4th episode today of the show and it had the most Optimus so far in the show and I have to say this Optimus seems more bland and bored then the Prime/RID Optimus ever seemed to be. For the past 8 years people complained how bored Cullen sounded in Prime and RID but I felt like he still brought a presence to the character with the voice. This time around with the new actor just seems like they are trying to do a Peter Cullen impression but there just no presence to it. It just comes off as look it is Optimus Prime and you know he is awesome so we really do not need him to be actually awesome because you already know he is. He just comes off as there. Sure we have not seen alot of him so far but I wish Cullen was there even when he was more "bland and bored" but again I felt like he still had a presence this time I just does not feel like I should be excited to see Optimus Prime on screen.

Thoughts and opinions so far on this Optimus Prime?

2. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Its fine. I have no issue with it.

3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    It's a pretty great impression of Peter Cullen. The problem I have is that it's just a Peter Cullen impression. It's a second-rate knockoff of something that we've already gotten time and time again. If you're going to cast someone new as Optimus, have them do something different.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Yeah I haven't seen enough to make a final judgement. The character, I'm enjoying so far. The voice is acceptable, but I wish they aimed higher than just an impression of Peter. Now I'm not sure if Peter declined or if they never even asked. I can't see him declining, but then again he's pushing 80 and even legends reach to the time when they're ready to retire or at least pull back.

We've seen even less Megatron and I already know I'm into the new voice. It's a cool take that i wasn't expecting. The Irish-esque accent pays good homage to the fact that this is the first Transformers show animated in Ireland.

5. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    It’s dull and unemotional, just like Prime Optimus.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    At least it's better than Jon Baileys? Not as good as Smoov's.

As much as I love Cullen's Prime voice, It would've been nice for them to try something more like Animated Optimus or Primal.

• Like Like x 5
  7. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this series is recorded in New York. Peter Cullen is a LA Voice Actor, among many others we've had through the past few years.

8. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Insert ice pun.

Well all of the voice actors on cyberverse are located at New York. Most voice acting work takes place in Los Angeles. My theory is Hasbro is most likely trying to save money on actors. sense the New York actors aren't union actors.

But I think the voice sounds nice.

9. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Honestly I feel like Neil Keplan did a better Peter Cullen impression than this. Only Neil added his own twist to it but still made it feel like he was there and gave me a reason to root for him.

This guy is just... meh

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

11. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Sounds great!

12. Gayformers

Gayformers writes bad fanfiction

News Credits:
    It's nice, but I still prefer Peter Cullen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    It's a decent impression, but not good enough for an actual Optimus voice in my opinion. I really don't understand why they didn't use Peter Cullen. Outside of Transformers he's not some kind of big name actor, it's not like hiring Anthony Hopkins or someone. Cullen always seemed to love doing the character and it seems a bit weird to recast him. If it has something to do with him wanting to retire, you'd think he'd make some kind of statement. If they don't want Cullen, I probably would have preferred them just do a different take on Optimus all together (or use a different character like Zeta Prime).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Seeing as how I'm one of the very few people who prefer both David Kaye and Gary Chalk's OP voice compared to Peter Cullen I'm disappointed that it's someone doing a Cullen impression. Don't get me wrong, Cullen is and will always be Optimus Prime, ever since Transformers Prime his performances have been severely disappointing. I'd like to see a different take on the character and not just an impression.

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Would had been nice hearing a different voice coming from Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

So far, I'm not impressed. It's a Peter Cullen impression by somebody whose voice obviously can't match his timbre naturally.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    My biggest issue isn’t really the voice, but the lines he’s given. They’re just not natural to me and trying a little too hard to make Prime sound more “regal” if that’s even the correct word to use here. Even if they got Peter Cullen to do the voice, the lines themselves are just bad.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Honorbound

It's basically the problem that TfP Optimus had, only without Peter Cullen to sell it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I feel like that’s the great part about Peter Cullen’s Optimus. Even though he’s given some poor dialogue, he knows how to deliver those lines to make it work. Which is why I really don’t like Cullen impressions because they really try, but it doesn’t feel right.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Honorbound

Yeah, they lower their voices, but they don't capture the gravitas of his performance, so they end up looking even more hollow. That's why Garry Chalk and David Kaye worked so well as Optimus Primal and Animated Optimus - they didn't try to impersonate Peter Cullen, they remembered the "acting" part of "voice acting" and focused on the performance first.

• Like Like x 2