thoughts on the movies.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by pitt55, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pitt55

pitt55 Well-Known Member

sorry if this should be posted somewhere else-feel free to move it.
    i think the movies are spectacular.a big spectacle.it's great to see [almost] what real live transformers would look like.sure you can go back and forth on the designs or plot points,but in the end they were tasked with making blockbuster movies and they did that.no problem there.
    like i said,i love the movies,watch them over and over.i love the visuals,the fight scenes,can [just about] swallow the backstory for this one.
    where it fails,for me-for me because i realise that there are legions of new fans to whom none of this means anything-is something i can only put like this;the stories in the movies are told from the wrong perspective!
    i know that with these "lightning in a bottle" properties there are a million different people giving a million different reasons why something is what it is,
    what makes it great y'know?but undeniably one of the key components that went into making transformers the legendary thing it is was the characters.now by that i dont mean that the characters were just so cool,i mean that the circumstances took a back seat to the characters and their motivations.
    it's not about people encountering alien robots-the alien robots ARE the people.just as much as the humans are people,the robots are people.the focus was on what the robots where doing,not merely on the fact that they were giant robots or that they could be disguised as your car.everything was from the perspective of the goings on of the robots,to the point where you didnt even need humans around to tell a story.
    there are some obvious things that made the thing like this,that made you completely view the transforming alien robot as just another fellow lifeform.things like a lot of them having mouths and teeth,the facial expresions match their moods/struggles,when they die their "souls" travel to some mystical realm,they exibit happiness,greed,envy,sorrow,you name it.but then there's the not so obvious stuff like in the voice acting and their movements that fit perfectly well and belong just fine,and only stand out when you think about them-if you even notice at all.
    things like if they are underwater and they struggle to the surface,they gasp for air!
    they also blush.
    they CRY!
    the females have breasts!
    the elderly have long white "hair"!
    on and on the robots are made to look human above all else.it's to get the kid to identify with the characters,we know,but it does this wierd subtle thing to you where you just stop viewing the robots as robots.it's an amazing feeling when you're sitting there watching a G1 episode and you see something like a robot break the surface and take a deep breath and only LATER does the thought come- "what the hell does he need to breath for? we know they travel through space".but while watching it seemed perfectly natural and you didnt even think about it.
    thats what the movie was missing to me.of course we can throw the whole "holy shit,my car/tape player/whatever is really a robot in disguise!!" bit somewhere in the trilogy but c,mon! i didnt come here to see "the life,times,adventures,trials,and tribulations of spike witwicky".i thought this was the transformers.i already saw E.T.
    and that was my original thought-imagine the movie E.T.,but all from the perspective of the alien.elliot was the main character in the story and the story of his alien encounter is told to us through his perspective yes,but flip that.the human becomes secondary and the story is about the alien and his efforts to unstrand himself.
    that "from-the-aliens'-perspective" aspect is what made the characters in the transformers,both sides,so open to be indentified with.and that's the soul/charm about the transformers that i see as missing from the movies.it's more about spike's/the human race's journey encountering giant robots from space than it is about said giant robots.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Its Hollywood. Its not because its Transformers or even because of Michael Bay. Whenever they remake an existing property, be it toys, comics, cartoons or videogames then whatever made the property a hit originally will likely be mostly lost or distorted in the movie.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It does sort of seem like the Transformers are just the guest stars in their own franchise. Which is not saying that I'm against humans in the film or using a human character to get more perspective on the Transformers, but the bots just seem to be there to blow things rather than to be actual characters in the film.

Sure the films gathered a lot of attention for Transformers but how many of those people drawn in will just walk off for the next big thing out of Hollywood?

Maybe I'm just weird but I just can't relate to these robots like I could with a show like Transformers Animated. For all of Prime's noble speeches and Megatron growling it's like there isn't a personality there to latch on to so I'm having to fill in so many gaps from other characters named Prime and Megatron. It's kind of like they are just machines only doing what they were programmed to do rather than actual characters with free will.

4. pitt55

pitt55 Well-Known Member

i agree.you never get into their heads and see any of it from their point of view.all the consequences and ramifications of the plots deal with the effects on the humans.

and you're also right about megatron-did the decepticons in the movie and TF-prime come straight out of the darkest depths of hell or what?the decepticons,for the most part,are pretty likable guys character wise.there are a few cut-to-commercial-cliffhangers that left you hanging on the plight of a decepticon.and you were worried for that decepticon! you didnt want to see anything [too] bad happen to any "bad guys",because they were just as cool and likable as the "good guys".
    movie megatron or movie starscream are just too over-the-top evil.