Thoughts on the Animation

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Vladakris, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Vladakris

Vladakris Predacon

Ive seen a coupe places calling the Animation in this series bad? I was curious about what people on the board think of it. I personally think it looks great. For a TV show especially. This has nothing to do with the designs of the characters. Obviously its an update from the animation used in Beast Wars. Im not to nit picky though its a cartoon, and if it has good writing ill enjoy it, and have fun. After all thats what cartoons are for. Is fun, and entertainment!

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks pretty good IMO, specially considering it's the studio's first TV animation and the very first episodes too!

Of course there's room for improvement, there is ALWAYS room for improvement, but right now I love it, even if the backgrounds are still empty and some scenes are a bit odd the majority is still extremely fluid and actiony, in special the facial animation is pretty good except maybe for a little lip synch here and here.

Problem is most people are comparing it to freaking Clone Wars, which got a 1 million budget for EACH EPISODE.

3. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The way I see it, its probably due to the inability to compare it with other CGI television series. The closest comparison I can think of is Star Wars: Clone Wars which currently has better CG.

Because of this lack; people such as me can't help but compare it with films done by Dreamworks and Pixar which have remarkable animation. Or films such as FF Advent Children or Resident Evil. Others may end up comparing it with video game CG.

It might be unfair to do so, but most of the CG we are exposed to are from films and video games which have remarkable CG and an unfair advantage over the current Prime tv series.

Aside from Prime and Clone Wars; is there any other CG television series currently out there? And if there is, it successful?

The Animation isn't too bad in my opinion. I think Hasbro, pursuing CG animation as its media of choice is audacious but I wonder if its worth the risk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CG animation more expensive than normal animation?

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's different and that is what is throwing some people off. Give them a while to get used to the new style and I think more people will be jumping on the like it bad wagon.

While it's going to take me a while to get used to it, overall I like it. The only part I considered looking bad was the energon mine, but things like the Autobot base were just really really cool. Plus this is just the early episodes and how many cartoon series got better as the series went along?

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I was worried that it was going to look cheap like those Hot Wheels shows, but it's actually very good.

6. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

The animation was ok at times it looked good others it looked terrible. I really think they have not nailed down a real style they want to go with yet at times it looks more cartoony and others more realistic its a tough contrast. Primes mouth is just terrible though and the lip syncing will hopefully get fixed.

When you look at something like the clone wars cartoon and then TF Prime you really see how prime is lacking and hope it start to pick it up in the animation department. That said even the clone wars had lip syncing issues to start.

7. nitewing73

nitewing73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The animation is cool. I was a fan of Beast Wars which I thought had pretty good computer animation but this one kicks it up a notch.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    It's a whole lot more animated than Animated, IMO.

And that's more than good enough for me.

9. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the robots look great, but the humans could use a little work.

10. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I like the animation. While viewing, I was always connected to the story and what was going on, and there was never a moment where poor animation stuck out to me and took me away from that connection.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Something is missing yet I can't put my finger on it

12. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

autobots all look pretty awesome but Im not sold on starscream and soundwave. Megs looks great and the drones are neat but I need more decepts and hopefully they stand out more.

HOWEVER the dramatic lighting is really good and something I hope they continue. Its the only thing that made me like starscream more than I should.

I wish I could find this show in HD the detail looks amazing in some of the close up shots

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Not as good as Beast Wars animation.

14. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The only thing that really stood out to me as something that could be better was some of the lip-sync animation. Sometimes it looks alright, others looked a bit off.

But overall, for a TV show that doesn't have the budget backing of a franchise like Star Wars, it looks pretty good.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not yet. It's about the same level as the mid-season 1 animation in Beast Wars.

The actual CGI is way better though. I'm pleased with the show. I'm glad CGI is being brought back for more older audiences. I'm tired of everyone dissing it because it's overused.

16. Vladakris

Vladakris Predacon

Yeah the lip sync was a tad off, but its wasnt enough to make me actually care. I dont compare it to clone wars because of well the fact that like Shroobmaster said its got quite a bit of a bigger budget. So they're working with what they've got. I am sure it will improve over time. As for Primes mouth im kinda in the minority where I like it. It took some getting used too, but I really dont mind it.

Ive seen a few places just raging on the Animation, and well I just couldnt get why. Then again theres always the "douchey mcnitpick" in everything, but so far the story seems to have a very nice, and dark tone. As much as I loved Animated. It was the first time sense Beast Wars where ive really enjoyed myself. I think sometime people forget this is a cartoon, and they just need to lighten up, and have fun with it. At the end of the day bashing a cartoon really doesnt do anything for anyone. Now dont get me wrong I dont mind if someone doesnt like it, but just to come out, and say it sucks, and rag on it. Is just well almost barbaric, and doesnt really have any constructive quality.

Hey though thats just my opinion though, and im more of a lighthearted person. I guess being an extreme critic is the way of life for some people. Then again some dude with an internet blog's critique really doesnt matter. The only real critics ive ever had respect for, and they seem to actually have hearts instead of just bashing everything. Is Siskel(RIP), and Ebert.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still don't see how Beast Wars is better than this to be honest, the movement may be in fact more natural in the "normal scenes", but the Prime series got GREAT story-boarders that take the scenes from an angle that really does the difference. I was looking back at the Fuzors BW episode, there's a scene with all Predacons shooting, pretty similar to the same animation of the Eradicons shooting at Cliffjumper, yet the Prime scene looks so much better because of how the camera moves and the angle it shows the action from.

Story boarding is a biiiig part of how good Prime looks.

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i like it better than tfa because i got into transformers during beast wars and this brings back memories.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    At first, I saw those trailers and said, "Mother of God, that sucks some serious TESTICALS." Then I sat down and viewed the episode, and it wasn't as God-awfully annoying as I thought it would be. The humans still look a little stupid and goofy. Particularly Jack...

20. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    So did Beast Wars!

(Seriously though, you fancy yourself such an expert of animation, you better have something beyond 'I've watched a lot of it' for your credentials, junior.)