Thoughts on RTS drought

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Prowl, Mar 21, 2011.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I've been canvasing the local stores in search of Perceptor and Wreck-Gar, the only deluxes I'm missing. Also looking out for the Voyagers, Scouts, and Legends. So far nothing has turned up and it has got me thinking. Is it possible that the shelfwarming Bayverse figs are holding up any restock of RTS? If I remember correctly, the SKU is the same for the lines. This has me a bit worried since I don't really order online unless absolutely necessary, and now I'm thinking it may be the only way to get the last bit of Classiverse before being swamped with Bayverse stuff. Anyone else get this feeling?

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I gave up on stores after Christmas. The newest figures any of my local stores have is Wave 2/3 of HFTD. Few of them have any Generations figures on shelves, regardless of wave. The most common sight now, sadly, is ROTF figures and PCC wave 1.

Seems to me they're not interested in supporting the brand until the new movie figures ship. So I, like a lot of folks on the boards have had to turn to BBTS and HTS among others to keep current. I used to turn my nose up at the notion of having to pay shipping on a figure I should just as easily be able to walk into any store and find in person, but that's what the times are calling for.

Go online and grab yourself some Perceptor and Wreck-Gar, duder.

3. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Perceptor is shelf-warming at my local TRU, and they had three Wreck-Gars last weekend. The only RTS I've failed to see in stores in my area are the Voyagers, but according to the UK thread they've shown up elsewhere. And my TRU got rid of every ROTF toy apart from the Megatron/Fallen/Soundwave 3-pack ages ago, so I dunno why they're having a ridiculously small TF section.

4. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I were going to Botcon or participating in the Hasbro Q&As, I would ask them WTF is up with the shelfwarmers and the retail constipation. But I'm not, so maybe someone else could.....

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Stores know there's a new movie coming up soon. They're hesitant of ordering toys that could end up as shelfwarmers now when they know there's a giant movie-based push coming up soon.

Does no-one remember 2009 and the sudden end of Universe and Animated? No-one?

6. Sepultron

Sepultron .

For what it's worth, I just received a response from Hasbro US to a question/concern I emailed to them last week regarding the 'missing' RTS figures, including Windcharger and Rumble (I asked about Grappel and Lugnut as well): They said that the toys had not been cancelled and were currently in production, but that they had no information on release dates, etc.. Granted, perhaps that doesn't necessarily mean that the toys are being produced for the US, and they could have been referring to the Deluxe and Voyager assortments that *some* people have found, but that's the info I was given. Make of it what you will.

As for me: I still haven't seen a single Wreck-Gar, or Kup and Scourge for that matter.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's funny. I just made a thread about that.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/383887-end-line-not-end-world.html
    2009 was particularly bad because the end of Universe and Animated was compounded by the Scalper Exclusive Animated Arcee/Ratchet.

Sounds like a canned response to me. . . but I hope not.

8. Cax6ton

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course we do - which is why we're curious that the same mistake gets repeated again and again, all the way back to Energon. Why try to push out more repaints of molds that are already shelfwarming a few months ahead of the last two or three new molds? Whatever mystery strategy they're employing to entice retailers to buy that last case doesn't seem to be working.

I'm not trying to be an armchair neckbeard who says they know how to make and market toys better than Hasbro, but why does it seem like every line ends with one or two new molds that end up shortpacked and scarce because the last 3 cases' worth of repaints are there - repaints that everyone already knew wouldn't be going anywhere?

Not the end of the world, just one of those frustrating things about collecting - I know I'll get them all eventually, and it won't even cost that much......but it *is* a pain in the ass.

9. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But how much clout would Hasbro actually have in pushing Walmart and other retailers to improve distribution?

10. Cax6ton

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe that it's Hasbro, not the retailers that pack the cases, but someone more knowledgeable could probably chime in about how a case assortment is decided upon. I seriously doubt that the retail buyers call up Hasbro and say "Yeah, you know that green missile launcher tank thing that we can't get rid of? Make the next 5000 ones BLUE. Then they'll sell."

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

There seem to be more MIA figures this time around then there was in 2009 before ROTF toys hit, and are still out in large numbers. Thinking of toys that were hard to find then, it was The last 4 legends, Wheelie, Warpath and Co, Deluxe Ratchet and Hot Shot. I did purchase Ratchet in store two times but never saw the legends. Animated Arcee did eventually show up in larger numbers and I actually saw a few just a few weeks ago at a ramdom TRU.

It does seem like an odd way to pack the cases with the older redeccos/repaints ahead of the new molds that are in the last waves.

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This happens every year in the Spring, it just varies at how BAD the post-holiday-pre-Summer droughts are gonna be.

There was a bunch of NEST and RPMs figures that had comparably abysmal distribution last year, this has nothing to do with whether or not the line in question is a movie line.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

This is true, however, this is the worst drought for me personally so far in my ten years of collecting. All those other hard to find guys that eventually made it to a store somewhere I purchased at an actual store. This time, I have bought almost every figure from BBTS/HTS with the exception of one, RTS G2 Prime. Even that toy another board member picked up and I bought it from him.

It's been bad. I even eventually got the elusive HA Mudflap from TJ Maxx and Red Rampage from Ross.

14. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    this case is a little more extreme though. Usually its just the last case or so, but this is almost half of a line. There have been no sightings in the US of any voyagers, legends or scouts what so ever.

Thats a lot more extreme than just one wave of hard to get legends and a few deluxes being hard to get.

15. dorfsquest

dorfsquest Bing B-Bing Bing!

News Credits:
    Somehow I managed to find one lonely wreck-gar and perceptor at my local Toys R Us, which is quite a rarity, since Yuba City isn't exactly lucky enough to get ANYTHING good or even remotely on time... As for the later Generations lines... I gave up on my futile efforts and just bought them online...

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    The same with me here. I have always been very fortunate to always find every release in stores in my area. Things that several others never get to see in stores I've managed to. But this time, with Wal-Mart not even being an option, and Target and TRU the only ones getting stuff in, things have been scarce. I consider it lucky to have seen a new release once now.

More than likely some tail enders might make it to the TRU (like Universe Inferno), and other discount chains, if they don't get a wide retail release. They all have to go somewhere. We all just have to keep and eye out to where they do. But for right now the best thing is to order them on-line. At least most on-line vendors have a better grasp of their inventory

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I dunno, maybe I'm just happy to have Windcharger whom I bought at local retail sitting right next to me. ;) 

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Catch-22. The last couple/few waves are repaint-heavy because Hasbro knows retailers order less toys toward line's end, and those last waves don't sell out any quicker for having those repaints in 'em. Those forces have been around before Energon, though pre-Armada TF lines tended to have fewer toys per year total, so it was less apparent. (and Hasbro wants to avoid a situation where several new molds don't make it out near line end, like in Beast Machines, and a lesser extent Animated.)

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Can't be because nothing's selling. My local Target has literally had between one and five deluxe figs on the shelf since november. No restock.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    RTS only has one or two waves per size class anyway though. If we count RTS as the same assortment as the HFTD yellow box figures (which I'm sure is the case) then this is typical, as all the RTS stuff is basically "end of the line figures" just like NEST Red Rampage and Universe 2.0 Hot Shot.

Don't get me wrong the situation isn't a GOOD one, with the exception of Deluxe Wave 2, I've bought everything online as well. I'm just saying this is typical, especially given how SMALL RTS is.