Thoughts on ROTF Lockdown

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G1Prowl, Dec 18, 2010.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

First off, seeing how a toy can be retooled to fit in other lines is a great thing, as some of the less line specific figures could easily be slightly retooled to go another way and be more line specific. OR the possibility of something like TFA Ultra Magnus who's body looks decidedly less animated could be retooled to be a Classiverse fig of some type.

Now, down to something of a problem I've seen as late. It has been mentioned several times that since the ROTF Lockdown design was used in the Drift series, that it is now officially a G1 design. Bull. If one of the comic makers decides to slip Animated Bulkhead into the background of a shot in a book, or even something decidedly less disputed, such as the RID car brothers, would that officially retcon them as G1? Not at all. First off, IDW is totally different than G1, while using it as a theme to base its stories off of. Second, I fail to see how a comic can rewrite a canon that has pretty much stayed sealed since the end of both the cartoon and the comic series. If anything, the IDW series is an offshoot of Dreamwave's War Within storyline. And for that matter, if any series can just show up and permanently alter the storyline, wouldn't every fanfic posted by every fan change the continuity every time something is published? Not to me, but I guess it all depends on what gets posted in the TFWIKI.

Which reminds me: TFWIKI is not "God". While serving as a good wealth of information, it is fallable for the simple fact that anyone can change any entry at any time, and there isn't a moderator from Hasbro or anywhere else official to stop something from being put in that isn't "correct". That garbage story where an army of Nightbirds kills Daniel and Wheelie is a great example. Unless it was published by whomever owns the right to the characters at the time, or in one of the G1 animated series at the time, it didn't happen. According to TFWIKI, it did. Total crap.

Lastly, how can a design that is so clearly not in the same aesthetic as another toy line be considered a part of it? Was the ROTF Lockdown rereleased in Generations packaging? Nope. Is there any plan to release it in that line, or possibly United? Not that I'm aware of. Therefore there is nothing official placing him in the G1 universe.

2. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IDW is an official G1 continuity. Just because IDW's comics don't fit in with the original cartoon or comics (each being in their own continuity) doesn't mean they aren't G1. They are. Lockdown now exists in the G1 universe because of his appearance.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    You don't seem to realize that the fiction goes beyond the crappy G1 cartoon. The reason fan fic doesn't alter canon is because fan fic isn't licensed by Hasbro. But the IDW and Botcon comics are (the Nightbirds killing Wheelie thing is from a Botcon comic in the late 90's). This has nothing to do with taking TFWiki at face value, it has to do with what Hasbro officially licenses. All TFWiki does is record the stuff so people who don't know about it can learn.

Furthermore, there is no single canon in G1. Pretty much everything that happens does so in an alternate version of the same universe. Obviously, even in the 80s when the only fiction we had were the Sunbow cartoon, the Marvel comics, and some children's books, none of the storylines ever intersected, and it only got worse when the Japanese added their own exclusive cartoons and manga.

And while you're right that "anyone can edit a TFWiki page and there isn't a Hasbro moderator," the people who -do- moderate TFWiki are very quick to get rid of edits that include false or irrelevant information. Just ask anyone who's ever felt slighted because their contribution to the wiki didn't last more than 15 seconds :p 

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

God forbid anything pollute the sacredness of G1. :rolleyes: 

Canon is fluid. And inconsistent. And ultimately just a marketing tool. Why let it worry you? If you don't like Lockdown in your G1 collection, don't put him there. Why would it bother you if other people did? These kind of "purist" arguments are mind-numbing.

P.S. G1 wasn't even aesthetically consistent within its own line. You're telling me that super-deformed, Choro-Q minibots fit seamlessly alongside realistic Diaclone cars? G1 was the biggest grab-bag of them all!