Thoughts on Regeneration One

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Russ840, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Russ840

Russ840 Autobot Targetmaster

Hi all.

I was wondering what the general consensus is for Regeneration One. I just re read it ( having read it as it was being released originally) and really quite enjoyed it. Reading it monthly, originally, I didn’t really follow it properly. Reading the story whole was quite fulfilling. I have no prior knowledge of the Marvel G1 series so it did feel like I was missing out a little in that department but Simon Furman done a fair job of making it coherent for new readers.

The thing I liked most was that Rodimus Prime came off as confident in this story. Easily, for me, the best interpretation of Rodimus Prime since Transformers the Movie.

So what do people think?

• Like Like x 5
  2. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I could talk for hours about regeneration one specifically how it went off on a bit of a tangent from the marvel UK/us stories.

As a reader of marvel UK it annoyed me no end that those events simply never happened. All those classic epics from wanted Galvatron to time wars was completely ignored. Magnus never appeared in marvel us suddenly there he is. Prime all sullen and mopey (even more then usual) and allowing me Megatron to run riot on earth was not something I had expected.

There were some great issues. The prime v Megatron fight in 85 is one of the best ever between them but the Galvatron v magnus fight was phoned in. Plus it seemed the whole story was stretched out to hit the 100 mark. The gene key story could've been left out.

Issue 0 was good. Great to see Geoff senior do some pages in it. Overall it was ok but it should never have rendered marvel UK null and void.

3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Overall I liked it especially Rodimus Prime and Blurr actually using his speed effectively.

It was nice to see the Headmaster heads returned from Nebulos after all the years.

The first arc was the weakest. Spike being reduced to a third rate Circuit Breaker. His interaction with Fortress Maximus was always the most interesting aspect of both characters.

Megatron and Scorponok reduced to two dimensional villains was very disappointing. Megatron was much more likeable in G2, closer to his Machinima portrayal.

I could've done without the zombie cons.

I've never been a fan of the Wreckers or Kup. Would have been nice to see Twintwist or at least explain why he wasn't there.

Leadfoot being a Wreckers was a joke and obviously a reference to Dark of the Moon.

Definitely the worst part of the series was Wildman's art.

I was glad to see Kick Off as he was always my favourite new character Actionmaster. Shame he didn't have a larger role.

Since 20 years had passed storywise and realtime, I'd have liked to see the characters modelled on newer toys. For example, Soundwave in his WFC form. It would only be logical that he'd forsake his useless, out dated tape recorder mode.

I'd also liked to have seen newer G1 characters like Acid Storm and Off Road get some characterisation.

The highlight for me was definitely Rodimus Prime.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GoLion

GoLion No longer a collector

News Credits:
    I liked Grimlock. Bludgeon was good too. Frankly, I started this crazy adventure with the Marvel comic, so even though I vacillated, a lot, on RG-1, it was still a fun read.

The Gene-key story wasn't my favorite. Scorponok didn't feel right to me either (Yes, I know it's explained in the comic, but it felt wrong).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Russ840

Prime Noble, I loved Wildman’s art. It felt retro to me and that was a big draw.

As I have not read the UK or US stuff I’m a bit lost to how the continuity works. Does Furman kind of consolidate the two timelines into one ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Russ840

I loved how easily Rodimus kick Bludgeon’s ass.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Russ840

Loved to Prime/Megatron fight.

8. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

My attitude with Regeneration One is I love it and I felt sad from it. With no restraint on spoilers....

This was a rapid conclusion, but in a way I felt it was fulfilling on a few levels. you can see where some things were planned in advance but they were executed at such a pace to fit within 20 issues. Still, the offset by the decades long gap there were some moments that felt they could get away with that, such as Megatron's conquering of Earth punctuated with a fourth wall breaking "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!" and things that felt like they put older chapters of the Marvel days to rest such as Shockwave's reconditioning at the end felt like what could have been in IDW's main universe. Still, you can see how some things ae almost shoehorned in, like Jhiaxus' aptly named "Hub Network" ...doomed to fail.

Grimlock's arc was something of a passion for Furman, since he's one of his favorite characters, and it did bring some level of focus and character to the primatives as more than just monsters from below the surface...
    There were some things that bugged me, like bringing back the Headmasters only in traditional fashion to kill them off almost unceremoniously. I almost want to say the same for Springer's death, but at the time of this book's release his unknown/unexpected fate in Last Stand of the Wreckers came out, and how they were going to kill him in that, but Hasbro (thankfully) said no. This was one way of making good on that idea, but also as the straw that broke Optimus' back, pushing him to take on Megatron in the end. Still, you have to give credit for Starscream getting the ultimate, last betrayal but another notch in the bodycount because killing Megatron meant killing Ratchet along with it.

Optimus' downward spiral from leader figure to "he's gotten soft/old/weak in age" seemed fitting in a way, forcing the Autobots to look to themselves for guidance, and rise of a new leadership. Still though, another death comes off as what you'd expect since it's become almost a routine for him.

Rodimus though was a nice change of the character we'd known. From the hotblooded youth, to hothead to something of a more "Skywalker" style of student whose rapid ascendency was the result of a scheme made by the Dark Matrix entity, that he used against it in the end.

Furman got his play on the UK books in with the rivalry of Galvatron as an alternate-future history villian and Magnus, melding his IDW 'title' with the G1 blending the Immortal Lawman and Cybertron's greatest. Plus. Come on! "It's OVER! FINISHED!" He said the Furmanisms!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    My main issues with Regeneration One.

The issues were not self-contained stories. They were written for the trade and it hurts the enjoyment of reading each issue monthly. Its like watching ten minutes of a movie, pausing it, watching another ten minutes a month later and repeat until you've seen all the movie. Plus events just barely move on from issue to issue. Take any five consecutive issues from the Marvel comics and events progress very well with five distinct stories in each. Whereas taking five consecutive issues from Regeneration One and its much slower paced with some characters still in the same location and doing the same thing as they were five issues ago. Just read the Shockwave segments and you'll see what I mean.

The artwork was terrible. Wildman was intentionally holding himself back to mimic his 80s style whereas back then he was drawing the best he can. And it shows. Guido Guidi's covers capture the essence of the original Marvel comics much more so than Wildman (basing his style on Dan Reed instead), and I liked Wildman back in the day.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. GoLion

News Credits:
    I was somewhat disappointed with Wildman's art as well. It felt... I don't now, stifled? Still, Wildman's had a bit of that old fashioned dynamic flair that his work on the marvel comic had.

11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Nice use of minor characters. Horrible pacing, dialogue, and storytelling.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Best part of RG1 for me were Guidi's covers and panels. Perfect retro feel.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I loved that city of fear storyline with magnus the sparklers and flywheels....

Plus target 2006 of course. These were great stories and if you've never read them I highly recommend you try too. Some great moments. Galvatron revealing to jazz who he was is an absolute highlight and the tf equivalent of Vader revealing to Luke he is his father

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I liked it at first but really wasn't into it by the mid-way point. Everything with Hot Rod became bland and predictable, Grimlock becoming an avatar of Primus made me shrug to death, and so many of the plots were redone/rehashed from Furman's earlier work. Also the gene-key-- what the hell was that all about.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I read the TPB's in one go (pretty much) and I enjoyed it. It was neat to catch up on old plotlines and characters (no matter how inconsistant they were written from those characters) but it was hardly perfect.

Andy Wildmans art suffers massively from new multi shaded CG colouring, his art style is so much better (IMO) monochrome or block coloured. No spoilers but I feel that certain events happening were for shock more than anything else.

However after starting and reading the MTMTE TPB's after finishing RG1 I think I can safely say that MTMTE is the much better series.

16. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Rodimus was the highlight for me. It was great seeing him as a confident leader. Especially with his line to Optimus, “it would appear we have one too many Primes”. That was gold.
    I really wish RG1 had simply picked up at the end of Marvel US. No 20 year gap. And I wish that it wasn’t a limited series. Had it had time to breathe, so much could of been done in a more naturally developed way. But alas.....

• Like Like x 3
  17. GoLion

News Credits:
    I don't like the comparison. It's not fair because RG-1 is still kind of bound by the rules set 30 years ago. MTMTE has the freedom to do what it wants whenever. MTMTE took a lot of the established tropes presented within the fiction and turned them into something entirely different. And for a time, MTMTE was successful because of it... Will we have a ReGen MTMTE styled book 30 years from now? I doubt it. It's barely great success now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  18. unicron1986

unicron1986 Well-Known Member

Pretty much RG1 was all of Furmans` favorites hot rod /rodimus, grimlock, kup, ultra magnus, starscream and shockwave in every issue , the decepticons had no real plans, bludgeon wanted a glorious death, megatron wanted death, scorponok is brought back after his heroic death in issue #75 only to fall into the abyss, the two traitors star and shock who ran away during the unicron war live happily ever after. There was no fair fights, optimus only won because kup killed ratchet thus killing megatron, and how did starscream find out about the megatron/ ratchet connection in the first place? Ultra magnus took on galvatron with his bodyguards, so much for cybertrons` greatest warrior when he needs help from others, galvatron was a wasted character I thought he was going to lead the decepticons once more but he was only there to make magnus look good, and his death was too easy,fortress maximus could have turned his big guns on those autobots but got taken out easy too, i wouldn`t mind fortress killing at least kup or blaster before he went.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Russ840

Optimus actually has Megs beat. He just didn’t drop the huge pile of building on his head. He was trying to be better than that. Then Megs took advantage. So I’d say that Optimus winning because Kup shot Ratchet does not matter. He still bested him physically already. Just didn’t finish the job. I loved that fight.

20. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I found it somewhat disappointing. The pacing was off, and the stories were definitely written for the trade. Consequently, it reads a little better that way, but there you go.

It definitely had some interesting ideas, and I enjoyed the ending. Overall, it wasn't really what I was hoping for from a direct continuation.