Thoughts on paint apps on new TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cornholiocon, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I just bought the WFC Prime and Bee and was surprised to find that selecting ones with decent paint apps was surprisingly difficult (had to go to a couple TRU's). These are the only contemporary TF's I've purchased since getting back into collecting; all of my others are G1 reissues.
    My experience today got me to thinking--what is the collecting community's consensus on the paint apps of contemporary TF's? I know that due to their obviously higher level of detail than G1, painting them accurately presents challenges but I was still surprised after looking at several of the new Power Core Combiners and WFC figures that the paint apps were as dodgy as they were.
    Is this a common issue for newly produced TF's?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I haven't really ever had a problem with paint apps. In my experience it's about the same as it ever was.

3. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Interesting. Glad this doesn't seem to be common.
    It's also weird not having any stickers to apply. Nothing like progress.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Meh, I'm not anal when it comes to paint apps. I mean, if the quality of 2 of the same figure is night and day, I'll go for the superior one, but I'm not going to sweat it if there's a smudge or missing paint apps. I'll gladly touch up the areas of concern with hobby paint.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think it's common. And it's not just the less expensive $12 Deluxes either. I looked over about 30 MP Skywarps until I found one where the paint apps were close enough to where they're supposed to be.

I just bought PCC Huffer today and his paint lines sucks. They only had two, so I took the one that didn't look like Hasbro let a Baboon paint.

I don't think it's a real big deal when you're paying $20ish or less for something, but what you've noticed is pretty common.

6. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I always expect flawless paint jobs on my lovingly crafted Chinese sweatshop pieces. :D 

In all seriousness, paint apps are a total crap shoot but Has/Tak's QC has gotten a bit better the last couple years since the Movie 07/Animated quality control problems.

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I know what you mean. The purple detail on the chest on mine is like offset by a few mm to the left and down. On top of it looking sticky as well.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I notice paint sloppiness often, and work to get the best example available when I can, but (like if only one toy is available) I don't get worked up or dwell on it the paint on my toy is rough or misaligned, unless it's something really up-front and obvious, like an unpainted face or some such.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Unless its a major detractor, I really don't care about paint apps.

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty anal about paint apps. I don't care how badly I want a toy, I'll pass on it if it looks like it was painted by a spider monkey on crack.

I was really hoping that the paint apps would be better once Hasbro jacked the price of deluxes up to $12 but that hasn't happened.

11. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

If the paint apps error(s) aren't visible from the distance, they don't bother me... that much.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm rather OC when it comes to paint apps. I did have a hard time looking for a WFC Bee with a satisfactory paintjob. I got my nephew a WFC OP, and chose the best available, but when he opened it, there was a smudge of silver paint on the truck's right door.

I know these are mass produced toys and I should not expect perfection, so I'm just aiming for satisfactory quality. Although even higher priced TF figures have paint quality issues (chips and smudges), e.g. Alternity Bumble and Cliff.

13. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hasbros getting complacent.... Bottom line. Price goes up quality goes down cost per unit goes down profits go up