Thoughts on Heavenly Sword?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone played the demo on PSN yet?

My first impression was probably "wow pretty". Then I started getting my ass handed to me (these bad guys don't wait for eachother to attack and swarm you at once). The game has Autoblock to an extent in that when a bigger guy swings at you, you have to switch to have stance to block his attack, otherwise, she blocks on her own, which is convenient. Nothing too challenging after some playtime. It reminded me more of the fighting in Mark of Kri, because you really have to pick your moments, otherwise you get tossed around like Prime in the new TF movie.

The hardest and coolest thing about this game, is losing all notion of playing God of War with a woman character. That's what orginally killed my enjoyment, as I thought I could go in there and just start swinging wildly and kill everything around me.

You have to pace yourself and think about what you want to do and get a feel for the attacks and look for the right opportunity to strike. It reminded me of playing a fighting game (ala soul calibur), but with 10 enemies instead of 1. This separates it from being just a GOW and Devil May Cry clone.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a hellovalot of fun (for the 3 minutes that the demo lasts at least).

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was definitely beautiful and fun. Very God of War like but also fresh at the same time. The gameplay took me some getting used to, but it will definitely be something I pick up when it is released.

Pure awesomeness.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Took me a while to figure out that when the bad guys glow blue, that your standard stance will block anything, so long as you are not attacking. And if they glows orange, you have to press R1 to switch to Heavy stance to block. I guess Red glow means "get the F*@ck out of the way! :D 

4. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ya i got to say the learning curve without a toot oriole is kinda steep. you do have to unlearn ur GOW style and learn this new one but man the air combos and the counter attacks are brilliant plus the kill moves are sweet saved mine up to lvl 3 and when i fell into the pit of guys i did it instant room killer. i cant wait for this game

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still not sure how to execute the kill moves. They just kinda happened by accident.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Short demo, but showed what this game will have offer when it is released, great gameplay, awesome graphics and beutiful cut scenes..and that chick is HOT.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

So far it is Disappointment Totale.

I need to spend more time with it and figure it out.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

*downloads*

as lo g as its not as hard as ninja gaiden i might be sold.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not. But it does have a learning curve, as it is not a fighting clone of Ninja Gaiden or God of War, but for the most part, you can put the controller down and she will block almost every shot people take at her. The important element in the game is timing, and not going nuts on the button. But once you get that down, it's a blast.

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    All I'll say is... for 900+MB, it was hella short....

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    yep. There's no way this game would be any kind of possible on DVD. If the demo is any indication high def storage can only make this game possible.

12. jtuarus

Ebay:
    windcharger what are u havin trouble with i could try to help ya with it

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok I figured out how to do the finishing moves (with Circle right?), but what did you mean that you saved it until level 3? How do you know what level your finishing moves are at?

14. smangerbot

there's a little ring in the top right. if yo upause the game there's a manual... fyi.

i quite like the demo, even though it is short. once i got the hang of countering with the triangle i was doing all sorts of cool moves.

15. jtuarus

Ebay:
    ya the inside circle where tour life is starts glowing orannge and one of the little circles in that fill wait till all three are filled u do a tornado spin with one guy and it kills everyone around . lvl two is the infamous testiclecutter they show all the time. but the air combos are so sweet i love em i mean i cant wait to see full move sets.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for info guys. Back to the ol' 3-minute demo :D 

17. smangerbot

after a bit more time i have to say the game has promise, but it seems to be lacking that final level of polish that could make this game awesome.

once i got the hang of countering there didn't seem to be much challenge, and the graphics seem a little blocky in places. considering what the ps3 is supposed to be capable of i don't like it. also the animation isn't as smooth other games in this style, such as dmc or ninja gaiden. plus a few frames were dropped here or there...

hopefully they'll iron out a few of the bugs in the demo.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you to some extent, but the texture work (particularly in the elements in the far distance) is vastly superior to Ninja Gaiden, even if the framerate is not. Ninja Gaiden, albiet beautiful in its own respect has a very smooth and fluid framerate and animation, but the texturing still echos of last generation at higher res, something that some of the next couple of PS3 games no longer poses, ie. Lair, and even HS. Those buildings and structures look great, even at a distance, and the lighting and shadow work is superb.

19. jtuarus

Ebay:
    hey have you guys treid not pushing the square button during context event #! and let the big dude with the axe live? he is a might bit tougher than all the rest and is what busts thru the door at the end o demo he swings orange and red attacks so u can practice your heavy blocks. seeing what its like when a ton of different kinds of troops come at you it could be quite difficult. try it and see just when ur jumping to first platform dont do the final square command makes it slighty harder.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Played the demo, far too short for me to get any proper impressions of it.