Thoughts on having doubles (sometimes triples) of a toy.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by e3nine, Feb 25, 2010.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I got back into collecting around 2003 / 2004. It all restarted because of Alternators and Toys R Us reissues. About 7 years later, I've amassed quite a pile of MISB plastic.

I've never once posted a picture of my stuff. Why? It's because I have multiples of "expensive" figures (when purchased, they were all at or below retail). I don't want to deal with being called a scalper.

What are your thoughts on having multiples? Do you ever do it?

2. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I tried to do the whole one open to play with, one misb thing a long time ago but it was just too expensive

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice to see you, e3 - been a while.

If I had it to do over again, I would have kept a second set of Alternators MISB... but I don't buy multiples of stuff unless it's something I can troop build. For example, I have three each of every Cybertron and Classics minicon. Love those guys.

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sometimes do it but end up selling the extras off due to space/storage issues. The thought process going through your brain is:

1) Maybe I should buy 2, one for loose and one for MISB
    2) Maybe I should a third or fourth one, who knows when my loose one might break.
    3) I already have four of this bot but I really need a fix and this is the only one I like
    4) Wow, these are on sale?!? I already have five of them but it's sooooo cheap. Plus, I can always give it away, use it for trade later on, or sell the extras to recoup my costs.

So next thing you know you end up with 3-6 copies of items you never planned on selling originally. But when the price shoots up you think to yourself why not. A lot of people who accuse others of being scalpers don't really understand the art of scalping. Scalping is all about creating artificial low supply when the item is 1st released to reap profits. An efficient scalper's friend is fast sells and high turnover. If somebody happened to buy 200 Classics Ultra Magnus when it was ON CLEARANCE for $5 he's not a scalper even if he's trying to charge $100 for them now.

5. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I can definitely deal with the issue of owning multiples. :lol 

One can buy 1, 2 or even 3 & beyond, as long as your finances allow this. Friends/fellow Collectors around me don't just stop at one these days anyway so why not join the crowd. ;) 

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'll only buy multiples of the same figure if I plan on customizing them. As for collecting, I only buy one. I used to have a bunch of MISB/MOSC, but that's because I was lazy and didn't want to go through the effort of tearing through cardboard and twist ties. I never understood the idea of buying multiples to display in both modes or to display MISB/MOSC. They're Transformers. I mean, you can switch modes to suit your mood. Why spend the extra cash on the same exact figure when you can save your money for something new and different?

7. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

I've gotten rid of most of my doubles in the last year or so, but those that I did have were so that I could have one for each mode. I know, this takes away from the need to actually transform them, but if they are for display, it was kind of nice to show off both robot and alt form together. I would also have some doubles because of how they are displayed. For instance, I have a Prime display cabinet, but also want Optimus with the G1 cabinet as well. Same goes for the seekers.

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I've bought two of only a few that I really liked, or if I caught a sale. I'm more of an amateur collector, but I do it on occasion.

9. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i only got multiples (4, 1 custom, 1 original, 1 black package, 1 red package) of energon arcee, as i wasnt sure if we'd get any other incarnations of arcee
    beyond that, i have 2 energon divebombs, 2 superions (takara and hasbro), 2 energon skyblasts, 2 strongarms and 2 energon 2 pack primes (one broke).

i rarely buy a second cuz i dont see a reason to, i open everything, so i dont feel a need for anything MISB (only MP4 is misb cuz i have no room for him).

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't classify you as a scalper... maybe a hoarder but thats not to bad lol. You should post collection pics because we would all love to see it.

Would I buy multiples? Probably not because i'm going after exclusives. I cannot see myself putting down the money it takes to own Deszaras, Star Saber, Victory Leo, Jafcon Prime and Megatron, and Lio Kaiser again. For toys in store maybe... but I really only buy multiples of GI joe figures. However, i've always thought i'd buy a set of sweeps if Hasbro ever got around to making a decent one

[​IMG]

11. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Andrew, I had doubles when I got back into Transformers. At that time there was really not that much stuff out. I wanted to display and keep an extra set misb. Now there is such an explosion of new stuff always coming out there's no way. I sold off all my doubles a while ago.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have 2 reasons I never by multiples of the same figures:

1. Money: my Budget is tight so id rather buy something new i don't have then another copy of someone i do have.

2. Space: I have limited display space s I can't really justify clogging with several of the same figures, different characters based on the same mold yes but not the same characters.

Also i do not troop build or mod my figures so need to buy extra figures for troops or as fodder for projects.

13. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i don't know, i can't seem to justify myself in buying doubles. usually i want to open the toys and transform them and i'm happy to just have one of the figures. but not to sway far from truth, i am guilty of buying doubles but for only one or two figures because i really liked them. that or i was planning to modify them. as of now i own a tfa arcee, but i'm looking for another one so i can mod one in case i fubar the other one.

14. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "There is nothing wrong with having multiples of a toy"- says the guy who owns 7 Energon Sharkticons. :) 

Now I see scalping as people buying figures, usually ones that are highly sought after, and then selling them to make a profit. I bought seven Sharkticons, but I have no intentions of selling any of them.

I haven't even kept any of them in their original packaging. They are all opened, and are all a big part of my comic as 'Sharkticlones'.

So I think it's okay to have multiples of figures, so long as you actually have an interest in them other than selling them.

EDIT: I also have two Armada Blurrs. But there's a story behind them. I got one myself when it first came out, and sometime later I got another one from a friend for my birthday. I don't think I could ever sell either, because one Blurr was the second Transformer I got when I got back into TFs after BM and RID, while the other was a gift from an old friend.

15. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I only buy doubles of online purchases. The reason being I have a better chance of getting one with good quality control. If not, I can sometimes mix and match. I'll then sell off the double.

The only time I've considered buying 2 of a Transformer for the purpose of displaying in both modes is ROTF Prime. Mostly because... well, have you ever transformed that thing? It's a pain in the ass. Once is enough but it is beautiful in both modes. Particularly Buster Prime. I still have a second one MIB in my closet and I can't decide if I'm really going to do it or not. But it's there.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I've only got two of Cybertron Thundercracker. Why? I've got absolutely no idea. :lol 

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    This is where I dig out my ultra Primals and classics Sideswipes and Sunstreakers and take pics... >.>

Troopbuilding is an interesting subset of my collecting habit. It's a little bit of all the things people have brought up.

I keep one G1 sharkticon in each mode, for fear of breakage and jointwear.

I got all the Sideswipes and Sunstreakers for customs.

Primal is just an AWESOME figure, and the opportunity to get another one at an acceptable price has presented itself on multiple occasions.

Henkei Alert is sweeeeeeet. I have heard about problems with QC, he was priced low enough that I could afford 2, and if hasbro releases one, I want the henkei's lightbar to do a Police Sunstreaker custom.

Let's see... I have a loose, complete Brainstorm that I got at the flea market iirc. I also have one sealed on the card, in a near-mint trilingual box. He's my favorite headmaster toy.

3 Cmdr. Boatshoes and 2 Sonars - great for a naval fleet.

18. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

O multiples. I have different variations of a mold, I dont think that counts though.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't see how you could be a scalper with multiples of 5 year old toys that you don't plan on selling. There's nothing wrong with buying anything, even if you get multiples. "Scalping" is buying something new to the market and immediately selling it off with the intent to make a large profit. Scalping is all about selling, not buying.

That said, no, I don't find anything wrong with buying multiples of figures. Regardless of your reasons (except of course, scalping). If you've got the money to buy more than one of something, congratulations. You have the right to do with your money and income as you please.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Generally I don't buy doubles of TF. It's extremely rare I buy repaints so having more of one of the same character mold and paintjob release is even more unlikely.
    Thinking of what doubles I do have they're usually when someone gives me their old figures, although I'll pick which is the better quality of the doubles and put that in my proper collection while storing the lesser double away separately if I fancy selling or trading it later. These days I might buy another of something I already have if I find a decent quality one at a car boot sale for a good price, just because I like a bargain. :)