Thoughts on "Generations" lines potential

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by YoungPrime, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Timelord Megs

Timelord Megs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll just repost what I said in another thread first as I think it's still relevant and a little more than just a "wish list".

I wouldn't expect to see much outside of G1 and WFC chraracters in Generations regardless of how they talk about it or what their intentions are for the line.

Consider this; the two previous lines like this (Classics and Universe) were both filler lines. At this point there's no reason to believe that Generation will be any different, especially since I can't see Movie 3's line, Generations, and the next cartoon's lines all being on the shelves together in 2011. You might get away with the movie line and a small sub line, but no more. Which means that either Generations with be ending in May 2011, or if it does survive along side the movie, then it is because the next cartoon has such a small cast that it doesn't have an independent line of it's own and all it's toys are released under the Generations line. Which wouldn't leave any room for characters from other series anyway!

So if we have a start date of about September 2010, and an end date to Generations of May 2011, then that really only leaves 6, maybe 7 waves of figures at the most. Not much room at all really, when you consider that we've already seen the first wave and a half and there are bound to be more repaints as the line goes on.

It seems that the focus of this line is different that the two previous ones. The first classics line was about reimagining some of G1's most important and famous characters as a primer for their live action movie debut. Universe 2.0 was about continuing the "realistic" movie aesthetic between movies as a counterpoint to Animated, while still remaking famous G1 characters. The 25th Anniversary Universe Line was about making characters from all eras while focusing on remaking those who had really bad toys the first time around (namely Dinobot and Hotshot). Generations seems to be about doing really obscure fan wank things that they weren't allowed to do in the previous lines (probably because Generations is only deluxes and thus not nearly as important as a full line).

So we get obscure comic book-only characters like Straxus and Drift, toys to promote a video game time-in, and finishing off the seekers. The "Generations" title is going to be very misleading and disappointing to some fans, as almost all the characters that they're doing are coming from some form or another of G1, not from other eras like the Beasts and the UT. They've already confirmed that despite the line being open to "all eras" that they have no plans to do any characters from Beast Wars and Beast Machines, so the "all eras" thing is already out the window.

That being said, I'd like to see:

Kup
    Arcee
    Springer (Triplechanger)
    Scourge
    Blitzwing (Triplechanger)
    WFC Starscream
    WFC Ratchet
    WFC Ironhide
    WFC Shockwave
    Jazz
    Wheeljack
    And Ultra Magnus as a Voyager in the movie line that is clearly intended to go in Generations but couldn't. :thumb 

I'd like Soundwave too, but since we know there's a WFC one coming, I'll not ask for a G1 one too.

Of these, I think only Wheeljack and WFC starscream stand any real chance of happening.

The characters that I want most from this franchise right now are the original Rhinox and Blackarachnia from the Beast Wars. The old Rhinox toy is too small and kibbley, while BA is; well, her toy may as well be another character for all it looks like her. If they could just do those two, I think alot of people's BW collections would feel complete and there'd be little need to do any more. It's just two characters, but there's no chance of them happening....

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If we keep shouting for Jazz and Wheeljack loud enough does anyone think Hasbro will hear us?

3. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Jazz
    Wheeljack
    Impactor
    Xaaron

and once they decide to add voyagers/ultras in :

deathsarus
    overlord
    victory leo
    star saber

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Another 'i want this in Classics' thread.

Yay.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I hope so, I'd be very happy with a new Deluxe Jazz and Wheeljack. Hasbro, do this and I'll buy more of your stock! :D 

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    At a panel last year (sdcc or botcton?) Hasbro designers speficially said it was 'too early' to talk about Wheeljack.

7. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since it's all deluxes:

Wheeljack

Jazz

Tracks

Kup

Blurr (IDW style to go along with Drift)

Another G1 Stunticon - either Wildrider or Dead End

Thundercracker

Dirge

Sunstorm

Blitzwing (to complete the Decepticon triple-changer trinity. And use EJ Su's design).

Soundwave (remold of Universe Ironhide - make his chest plate look like Laserbeak in tape mode, and replace Ironhide's gun with either one of Soundwave's G1 weapons or one of his minions, like Buzzsaw or Ratbat. Maybe have them transform into a gun).

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Would we be looking for new molds for these characters or happy just to get them at all, even if they are retoolong of, say, the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold?

Jazz you might be able to get away with (just look at the customs already done with him from the above mold), but Wheeljack should really have a new mold.

Yes that's right Hasbro, even if you can't use it for any repaints!

p.s. I find it incredible that we haven't yet been given an Inferno repaint as Grapple.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'm thinking Rhinox Soundwave and Sunstorm are what their definitely going to hit.

Sunstorm even makes sense as he is another comic book character, like drift and Darkmount.

I have a feeling that the megatron in Transformers Prime is going to be to a awesome toy. And will obscure war for cybertrons megatrons generations toy. :) 

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Oh yeah, should've mentioned Sunstorm. Another seemingly obvious repaint we'd all go out and buy.

More seekers MORE I TELL YOU!

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'd really like to see a Trailbreaker. I loved that toy when I was a kid.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, I haven't thought much about it, but I'm pretty open to anything.
    Of this, you can be certain.

13. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    its going to be some time before we get another line. given what we have seen already it should b cool

14. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    probabaly not

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

We've gotten a lot of great deluxes in the Classics line: the seekers/coneheads, Bumblebee, Prowl, Sunstreaker, Mirage, and Rodimus. Hell, even voyager Prime was more in the deluxe scale. I was a little disappointed with the voyagers/ultras in 2.0. I loved Onslaught, Silverbolt, Powerglide, and Inferno, but many of the others were repaints of prior molds that I didn't particularly care for (Blaster, Heavy Load, Overload). Since they did 2 of the combiner leaders in the ultra class, it would've been nice to see a Motormaster, Hot Spot, and Scattershot even if they didn't have plans to combine them. Oh well, I can't say that I don't understand why they repainted all of those other molds (cuts down on costs and fans will buy them up regardless).

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And comments like this is why we don't have generations voyagers.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Ya know, in the past I'd have consider this a boring response, but then I started thinking about GI Joe. For a long time, you never saw much of the original 13 Joes, aside from Snake Eyes, Scarlet Stalker, and Hawk. And for Transformers, it was similar. You saw plenty of Prowl and Starscream, but where were Huffer and Wheeljack? But, around 2004, 2006ish, Hasbro started making a conscious effort to make new versions of guys like Zap and Steeler for the fans of the 1982 Joes. So, while we're drowning in Bumblebees, where's our Trailbreakers, eh Hasbro? Give us the Joe treatment, just this once (I say "just this once," because, ya know, usually we're treated better than them ;)  )

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It does seem like the GI Joe team tries harder to get characters out there. Yes there is flood of Snake Eyes, Duke, and Cobra Commander but in the mix they manage to throw in Doc, Bazooka, Alpine, Croc Master, and a host of other characters who aren't on the A list.

Might take a while but the GI Joe team even manages to pull of entire sub-teams like the 'Noks with Zartan, Ripper, Buzzer, Torch, and Monkey Wrench. While Transformers is unlikely to ever see the entire Dinobots team in the same style ever again.

With more GI Joe Resolute figures on the way to fill in the gaps for that sub-line it really feels like the Joe team has fans covered better than Transformers does.

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It DOES seem strange that we can't get an entire subline or group within one line. While on the whole I have no pressing desire to see more G1 rehashes, a full set of Dinobots definitely would be nice, and could be split across multiple size classes in a line if necessary. Grimlock and Sludge as voyagers, Slag, Swoop, and Snarl as deluxes, for example.

I realize the movie style is love-it-or-hate-it, but I think that style would serve the dinos pretty well.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd be guessing - but I'd suggest we might have to wait a while for a Hoist/Trailbreaker toy as Hasbro might feel the Movie Hoist is exceptable as a representation of him.

I saw where someone had turned Universe Inferno into Grapple.

I think the problem we may have is that the 2011 Movie line and the 2010 Cartoon line will get in the way - unless by some miracle they decide to lump older characters into the same product heading as the cartoon line [which is probably unlikely]- I'd guess hopes of more missing G1 characters as remakes may not be quickly forfilled.

If the new cartoon is G1ish then it might see new versions of characters like Jazz. but we may just be in the same old reset problem again where hasbro sell us another line in yet another new theme / art style or gimic type where a high % of the characters are familiar ones like Bumblebee.

Personally I hold out a small hope that Hasbro can twist the larger retailers arms into taking some stuff as repaints - so if Fun Publications don't do it perhaps some of what I want might come out as a one off item or small assortment.