thoughts on generation 1 season 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Apr 4, 2011.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i got a question

in attack of the autobots megatron managed to reprogram optimus prime and his fellow autobots to be evil like the decepticons

and in a prime problem megatron actually wnet so far as to clone optimus prime and starscream

and in the master builers the constructicons at the very least considered betraying megatron and joining the autobots until megatron got wise to t heir plan

my question is this

how might the later half of season 2 have played out over time if it had actually explored storyline elements from those earlier episodes in the time leading up to starscreams brigade?

to be honest i actually think it would have been a very interesting idea for megatron to have created a final optimus prime clone but with this clone as a character developing over time so that in addition to him having all of optimus primes abilities intelligence and wisdome as a warrior and as a leader and also having all of megatrons lust for power and conquest the clone woudl start out being slavishly loyal to megatron at first but over time develop his own will and ambition to the point of allying with starscream agaisnt megatron

megatron though would have wrought all to well in his desire to create a true decepticon version of his enemy optimus prime

for all intents and purposes this character would be a true g1 nemesis prime modeled entirely after scourges character from Transformers RID

one that would side with starscream over time while starscream himself would use the constructicons to create a clone of himself using it to fake his own death in a fight to the death with megatron with starscream and nemesis prime tag teaming megaron

megatron defeats nemesis prime and banishes his stasis locked body to deep space for eternity with starscrea secretly pursueing him from a safe distance with megatron entirely unaware of the matter

with the remainder of season 2 seeing starscream the combaticons a heavily upgraded bruticus and nemesis prime go on to become a serious threat to both megatron decepticon and autobots alike

2. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

I agree, G1 would have been a lot more interesting if it had actually been written well.

3. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

You mean, what if G1 actually had a plot and quality writing instead of being 1/2 hour toy commercials? Fragging awesome!

4. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

i dont think the writers, animators, or anyone really gave a crap about the show. except for the fans

5. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I loved the entire series so I have no complaints about any part of it. Season 3 part 2 was my favorite parts of the whole show.

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I think what some people are forgetting here is that G1 was an 80's cartoon show. You're thinking of a Transformers plot from a 2011 perspective.
    For a 1980's cartoon show G1 was a pretty good cartoon series. Yea it has its share of plot holes, but it doesn't take away too much from the overall fun of the cartoon series. And it's still head over heels better then TF Energon was.

7. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People tend to forget that the third season of Transformers was just about as ambitious and out-of-the-ordinary as 80s cartoons ever were. You had characters dying, good guys having doubts, bad guys winning occassionally, Optimus Prime returning but evil (and then dying again), etc. For a decade where cartoons were usually required to have the good guys win and stand around laughing at the end of each episode, that was already very ambitious.

8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I'm with Chaos Prime, this was an 80s cartoon. Unlike a lot of people on this site, I was 11 when the series started and it was the coolest thing ever. We didn't care about bad coloring and plot holes - it was just a good cartoon.

I digress. I would have liked to see Devastator be an Autobot but, at the same time, that means the Dinobots may not have been reactivated. I'm sure they would have found another way to get the 'bots in there but I always liked them being Devastator's nemesis - even when other combiners tried to take that role, namely the Aerialbots, it was always best to watch dinosaurs and a combiner duke it out.

Toy-wise, I prefer Devastator (maybe because he was the first combiner made) but I always like the Dinobots more in the cartoon, just for the humor and sheer power. Those always kept them interesting while the Constructicons were kind of bland, generic evil as the series went on.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Then at the end of season two the real Optimus uses the Matrix to purge the evil from Nemesis Prime and he turns from black to white and gets some blue and red armour and becomes Ultra Magnus just in time for the 1986 movie. :) 

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I dont think they ever intended to switch sides.

My opinion.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would have been a lot more intersting, that's for sure, but it's a dead issue, as they would never have explored it. It would have just been more of the same "Hoist goes Hollywood" type of episodes if it would have continued. Not that I wouldn't have liked that, but let's face it, anything the G1 cartoon did that was interesting or thought-provoking was usually by accident when they were trying to sell you toys (Again, not saying that was a bad thing, I loved the show as a child and still enjoy it as an adult, but c'mon, it was what it was)

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Ahh the innocence of youth, I miss the 80's cartoons where fun could be fun and kid's shows didn't have to be epic drama from episode one till it gets cancelled early because kids quit watching it because it's no fun and they move to a more fun show.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I remember someone who worked on the show said they wanted to have a dark edgy backstory but it was scrapped cause they figure kids like action more than plot.

In other words Beast Wars, Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime are what G1 should have been?

14. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you trying to say that 80s cartoons were supposed to be fun for kids? :lolol 

I agree. Obviously the 80s were so different then now. We were so easily pleased back then (Atari 2600 vs todays PS3, lol). You also can't forget that the writers' hands were kinda tied. They were instructed to "introduce" and fit in as many new characters as the toys were released. Most kids (at least myself) didn't care so much about back story as we liked seeing the toys we had on our favorite show. On top of all that, Transformers was the very first cartoon in history that involved a toy line, therefore, it was an innovation itself.

Back on topic to the OP, I bet the plot you describe, in addition to many others would have enriched the overall quality of the cartoon. As previous posters have said, it is what it is, and we loved it for that :) 

15. ZTS

ZTS Banned

Season 2 was so-so. Interesting plots were introduced, but it ended horribly. I don't care what you think of the movie, it was much better than the last G1 story being "B.O.T."

GENOZAUR, one reason a lot of that was never brought up again because of a problem TV writers sadly face all too often. Attempts to revisit older ideas, even to develop them further and flesh things out, run the risk of being accused of just recycling the old script. And these aren't from the audience, but rather from the producers and editors. This is why eighties cartoon villains rarely revisited an old scheme to improve it.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Season 2 had my favorite episode of all time: Starscream's Brigade. I remember it was the first episode I had seen to that point that starred my favorite character. I think it was the first episode I watched when I bought the Season 2 DVDs.

There's some other good episodes in Season 2 - A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court, Triple Takeover, Auto-Bop, and Child's Play to name a few of my other favorites.

I'd agree.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not to derail, But I think both GI-Joe and He-Man beat Transformers to the airwaves.

I'm all for "fun" TF cartoons, and don't enjoy as much the shows that (try to) take themselves more seriously for the sake of being dramatic or 'epic'. Some are better than others at having plot or drama without losing the occasional bout of goofy fun. Some prefer the dark/gritty/real/serious/humor-is-poison, but not me.

The Wile-E-Coyote nature of the Decepticons in G1, especially in some 2nd season eps was silly at times though. Even as a young-un, I would occasionally think "The Deceptions nearly won there. Why don't they just try that same plan again, and this time fix the tiny things that screwed it up the last time?" They never seem to want to do the same thing twice. :) 

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  18. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Hmmmm, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down...and I agree! :D 

19. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

yeah with the continueing storyline seeing starscream in his new body and life develope for himself a new identity called Explorer as he makes his way to cybertron with nemesis primes stasis locked body

explorer revives nemesis prime and the two manage to steal the personality components from the decepticon detention center bust into shockwaves citidel hop the spacebridge to earth and use the military vehicles on the island to create the combaticons

from there they would raid a military base or two for weapons and also to modernise each combaticons vehicle mode form with explorer experimenting on both himself and scourge and the combaticons to gift each of them with the abiltiy to become a 7 member combiner team with explorer's armored wing vehicle form serving as bruticus breastplate armor so that explorer can share joint control of the combiner body with nemesis prime and onslaught and also to insure that if any kind of debilitating injury is done to bruticus's head itself all 7 of their minds would be stored intact in exploreres body with explorer himself serving as a way to successfully store a living copy of each of their minds anbd personalities in a safe non corrupted state should any one of them experieince the death of their own personel body as a individual

while nemesis prime himself would be the headmaster unit and would form the head of the bruticus combiner mode with the result being that the combined form of bruticus would be both incredibly strong as well as execptionally intelligent for a combiner form

this would make it possible for the much more intelligent bruticus combiner form to have all the best qualities of nemesis prime and explorer put together with explorers ego being kept in check by both onslaught and nemesis prime

basicly this version of bruticus would be the smart hulk of the decepticon combiners