Customs: Thoughts on Dremels?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Mar 11, 2010.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy myself a Dremel. The only problem: I have no idea which one to get. Do I get the 4.8v MiniMite, the 7.2v Cordless, or something better?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    The stylus is nice, I have that one, a mini dremel and the 10.8
    I find the stylus battery doesn't last very long, and on high torque cuts/dremeling, it gives out rather quickly.

That being said, I highly recommend the 10.8 cordless, and the quick change chuck (or whatever it's called) Also heard that there's a new stylus with a better battery option...

But whatever you do, buy a DREMEL. don't buy any other brand, you'll regret it if you do. I've had eons of problems with B&D, mastercraft and a few other rotary tools. Dremel is sturdy and replacing any internal parts is a couple of bucks.

4. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lucky bastards. I want that thing like hell but i just can't find one over at Malaysia.

say, do they sell'em over at Ace? Cuz the workers there haven't even heard of it... =.=

5. Satomiblood

Try Walmart. That's where I got mine.

I got my Stylus for $30 on clearance.

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  7. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Home Depot also sells them. The one here has an entire section for dremels. But definitely a dremel is a must for customs.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I can't remember exactly which it is (7.something maybe?), but I picked up just a $20 Dremel at Walmart as well as a $20 set of bits and disks and such.

9. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No such thing as Walmarts over where I live. I might go check Home Depot when I get the chance tho...

back on topic...

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Best get the stylus. It was my first one, and while it can run out of juice pretty fast, it will serve you well.

That's not to say that you won't need to uprgade later. I personally bought a Dremel 400 Digital for more brute power. Plus, that means that i can actually use the attachments.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Any hardware store should carry them.

12. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Seems like the Stylus is a favorite around here. Does it take standard Dremel accessories, or does it have it's own stuff?

Any accessories I need to pick up with it?

13. Satomiblood

The Stylus will include a kit, but there's a separate set you can buy.

14. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

Amazon.com: Dremel 1130-01 7.2-Volt Screwdriver/Stylus Combo: Home Improvement

this is wat i have.. i bought the combo for the hell of it.. works great with different speeds and i use dremel bits that come with it and others i bought as a kit from ur local walmart or kmart

-EDIT- OH lol nvm i see the other 100,000 ppl have already told u about this lol. =P ya so obviously get this dremel!!!!

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    My 10.8V's battery crapped out (had it about 4 years) so went to home depot today to just buy it again. Was tempted by the stylus, but it's RPM and battery life suck compared to the 10.8V - plus I don't think I could ever get used to the grip/size of it.

Anyway, I bought a CORDED 4000. Fucking blows the other one away. Lighter (no battery) and super high RPM. What's extra nice about the corded is it doesn't lose torgue or power when stressed or pushed hard - the battery ones seem to drain battery life REAL quick if you're pressing too hard (and/or shut off) The 4000 is VERY quiet too.

16. Satomiblood

The battery life of the Stylus can get pretty annoying, but I'm okay with it. I can understand it being a major problem for people that are constantly putting in work on custom projects, though.

17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been using the same $7 rotary tool for at least 5 years now. Got it from Harbor Freight. It's the plug in type....no need to worry about battery failure. Came with a hard case and a ton of attachments....yes, $7 is cheap, and yes, you get what you pay for....but it was the best $7 I have ever spent.