thoughts on Claim Jumper?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by e3nine, May 1, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    http://www.claimjumper.com/

It's the gf's birthday on Friday and they just opened one of these near her place. How's the food / atmosphere? How's the pricing? Good place for a bday / drinks?

I know these are huge in CA and out west, so hopefully someone out there can chime in.

: )

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I've never even heard of them.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My personal rule is chain/franchise restaurants are no good for any kind of special occasion.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Misleading title.

I thought this was going to be about people who try to jump my gold claims in my backyard :( 

5. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

The meals I've had there have been excellent. They are generally reasonably priced and you get a TON of food.

My favorite is the Mother Load sandwich (which is not on the online menu). The thing is huge and has layers upon layers of turkey, ham and all the typical sandwich condiments. It's so big I enjoyed it for three meals.

The Widow Maker burger has a fun name and is pretty decent too.

I swear they have the biggest chocolate cake I've ever seen. It's gotta be 9" or 10" in height.

It's important to note that the few locations I've been to in CA and AZ have always been packed and therefore have extremely long waits. Go early.

6. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

I've seen some of the frozen dinner's , The numbers in fat, saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol rival Hungry Man XXL for warning signs. Eating there may definitely take a few ticks of your clock.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    never heard of them but those pics are making me hungry... (and these pretzels are making me thirsty..)

8. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

been there quite a few times....as you can imagine the atmosphere is cool, its 1849 gold rush themed. As mentioned earlier, the proportions are what they are known for, TONS of food. The pricing is a bit above average, but not out of line. Drinks, two meals and a tip will probably be a bit over 60-ish dollars depending on how many drinks you have of course. You could get by for less if the two of you didnt drink and only ordered off the sandwich portion of the menu.... While its a chain its very good....Dissing a chain because its a chain is not really reliable. Its like saying PF Changs or Cheesecake Factorys suck....and they dont IMO.

Now that we mentioned Cheesecake Factory, I'd do that for a special occasion over Claim Jumper.....but Claim Jumper is very good too.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Claim Jumper is good. I frequent the one in Walnut Creek and Fremont.

I always get their ribs. And their California Citrus Salad is good too. Another good order is their potato cakes as a side.

IF you have room after, get the I Declair or Motherlode cake for dessert. Be warned. It took me and five other friends to finish the I Declair.

I'd choose Claim Jumper over Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's, Old Spaghetti Factory, etc.

It's one of the few restaurant chains I am proud to say I go to.

But if you want to do something special for your girl, take it from me, an ex-fine dining restaurant manager, don't take her to a restaurant chain. Take her somewhere nice.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I thought it was going to be about a kibash of Cliff Jumper.

11. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and I thought the title was a mistyping of clam jumper, and well imagined that would be about something else entirely...

12. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I thought it said Clam Digger.

Oh you gonna love this, boy. Tyrone calls you up, you know, in the game, and he says, "I can dig more clams than you, stupid!" And you've got to say, "Nuh-uh, boy!" And then y'all gotta race down to the beach with your buckets and your shovels. And the object of the game... is to find parking.

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I will always have fontness for Claim Jumper. It's where I met my future wife (through a mutual friend who set us up). But I rarely go there due to 1) the crowd 2) the size of the meal. Unlike Razer I prefer Cheesecake factory, Tony Romas (for the ribs), Souplantation (for salad & soup), and Olive Garden to CJ. Doesn't mean I won't go back though. This thread makes me want go there at least once this year.

14. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Yet another crappy generic chain restaurant with overpriced caesar salads.

But hey, if you like Red Lobster, Jack Astor's, Turtle Jacks, Turtle Astor's, Jack Lobster's, Olive Garden or Jack Jack McJacky-Olive's, you'll love it.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I have only been once, but I thought the food was good and yes the portions are huge. Like others have said it's a chain so if that is the type of atmosphere you guys enjoy go for it.

Speaking of long waits, they opened an In and Out here in Tucson last week. People have been waiting up to an hour for fast food. WTF people? It's a damn burger and fries! :lol 

16. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn, makes me wish there was one here.... so I take it it's like a Bugaboo Creek style place as well? Only without the talking taxidermy?

Damn why didn't I post this before.... the title scared the bejesus out of me in my sleep drunken stupor... "What? Someone stole my story idea?" I think was what I managed to growl/mutter when I saw it. Still have to finish writing that short story too. damn.

17. eatwood

eatwood Well-Known Member

The food is good, service is alright...it really depends on what you want. THis is not a good place for a romanic dinner. Is more like a place to have a group of friends.

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

That's because it's In-N-Out, the best damn burger in the world. :) 

19. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

I'll second that! LEGENDARY.....

The closest Second to In-N-Out is in Iowa, Des Moines, B-Bops. Its very similar to In-N-Out's 50's hotrod culture and the food is so addictive. You cant go in, its drive through only witha huge parking lot to pull over and hang out in. Very Coool....

But to the OP's original question, it too is not romantic, much like Claim Jumper...