Thoughts on Botcon exclusives

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Prowl, May 15, 2011.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    While toiling away for another 12 hour stretch at work, I got to thinking about the choices for exclusives that FP has been doing. Mainly I was trying to tell myself that I actually NEED a G2 Breakdown. But it got me to thinking: why doesn't FP use Botcon as a platform to get cancelled or hard to find stuff out? Case in point, if I remember correctly, G2 Breakdown was the first ever Botcon exclusive. If not for that, it wouldn't have come out in ANY form other than test shots. So I got to thinking about Artfire, and the possibility of a Classiverse version. Then it hit me: HasTak still has both the Inferno mold AND the Nightstick mold.

Why doesn't FP take opportunities like this? Or hell, Diaclone Blue Bluestreak comes to mind. I'm sure there are a TON of either rare or never released things that could be put out in this way. Nothing recent unless HasTak is positive it won't come back. I guess the Robot Heroes come to mind with this. While we're at it, things like the Halloween Horrorcons or whatever the hell they were called. It seems to me that this is a lost opportunity of FP's part, and could be a way for some things to either see the light of day or become much more available.

Thoughts?

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why?

Classics Thundercracker, Thrust & Dirge are why.

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Since you missed that part.

I'm well aware of the whole Seeker debacle. However, what do you think the chances are of HasTak releasing, say, blue G2 Combat Hero Prime? Slim to none. So this doesn't compare to the whole Seeker thing. At all. There's no way in Hell that Has is gonna start reissuing G2s, let alone put out the stuff that was cancelled. FP could easily be that outlet.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I really, really doubt Botcon will ever use G1 toys for exclusives. But if they gave us a Universe Bluestreak in Diaclone colors, I wouldnt complain

5. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    I am still shocked that we have not seen them yet. It is less then a month away and there has been no stolen chinese auction picture put up yet.

Regardless, It would be externally expensive to use the old molds I suspect as I assume like most things they are not using the same techniques as they did back in the 80s. If I am wrong please correct me as I am not very familiar with the molding process.

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think its just comes down to number of potential releases a year vs number of ideas.There are what, 3-5 club releases a year, plus another 4 convention exclusives and the boxset figures? That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for FP to get a lot of ideas out. You figure that somehow they have to tie the con exclusives to whatever the boxset is in the given year, and then also factor in that they try and pay a little bit of service to the non-G1 toylines/shows as well. They at least got to kill 2 birds with one stone with animated Cheetor.

To the OP, all of your ideas are good ones, and maybe they'll see the light of day. I think a themed set related to the Jap exclusives could be a fruitful set.