Thoughts on Animated from a G1 Fan

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Johnator, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I am mainly a G1 fan (as most of you know) who has liked Beast Wars, Beast Machines, but basically nothing since then. Not a fan of Armada, Energon, etc. (though I LOVE the new Classic toys) and yesterday I had a chance to watch the new show. As I have said from day one I hate the art designs and....I still do. They are not well drawn and I don't think that is going to change.

That said I LOVED the premiere that I saw. It was very well done with great characterization and a sense of plot. You really get a feel for Starscream's deception and Prime's struggle with his past (which I hope is developed a lot in the future). Ratchet was easily my favorite Autobot since he is so sarcastic. The storyline was GREAT and reminded me a lot of G1 which is awesome. There are a few flaws (*cough* Sari *cough*) but overall I was very pleased with what I saw.

The reason why I am posting this instead of just in the discussion forum is to let more G1 and classic fans know that you should give this one a chance. It isn't cheesy and the writing is WELL DONE. The story is what drives this show. I know the art is lame. It is true but I said I would give it a chance and if the story was well-written I would become a fan anyway. Consider me a fan. :) 

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm... so great storyline for start but poor drawing...I symphatize with you. I have not watched the show to be honest but like you I too am a big G1 fan. Most of my collections are G1 simply because I grew up with it and now that I have a job and money its my oportunity to relieve those times by bying G1 toys (mostly).
    I'm not really a fan of the square jaw cartoon or flash type animations that's why I never liked action figures of animation batman, superman or whatever resembles those square figures in the cartoon show.
    But as I read it... i see a gleamer of hope.

The question is its 2008 and why the heck can we not have the best of both worlds? Great drawing/designs + great story? Tell me why?

3. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Cartoon Network loves series with cheap animation and since it's a little kid's cartoon, it doesn't have to look realistic or anything approaching realism.Now if this were for older kids, it would have to look better.

4. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Because Animated is aimed at the younger generation. Its meant to please them, and currently that type of animation is popular with the younger audience. You've got popular animation + good writing, it'll inspire a whole new generation of Transformers fans. Just like what BW did for my generation and G1 did for yours.

5. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

That makes me feel so old. Having just watched the premiere, I'd say Ratchet's my favorite character so far.

6. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I'm sorry, that wasn't intended lol But that's how I see it. Hopefully my cousins will appreciate this series now that they're old enough to comprehend.

7. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    As a G1 fan, I thought the show was pretty good. The funny thing was about 20 minutes into animated my 6 year old daughter got off the couch walked to my entertainment center and grabbed my G1 season 1 box set and asked if she could watch the "real" transformers in her room. My wife just shook her head and i laughed my ass off.

8. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    heh yikes!

9. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Geewun fan myself. I liked it! The personalities of the TFs were great. Starscream was wonderful. The animation is something we're stuck with - it's popular and cheap to produce, so why not?

I don't like Sari, but I'm happy the main character is female.

10. Johnator

I too wish we had good artwork to go with the great story. You would think with all the advances in technology we could manage it without costing too high of an expense. Ah well. Good post!

11. Johnator

That is hilarious!

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because we just can't. There's a tradeoff, you can have a lot of episodes and story development, with simplistic animation, or you can spend all your money on great animation and be left with nothing for the writers.

13. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ratchet is awesome and I'm very much getting a sense that he is G1 Ratchet specially looking at his head and the broken forehead wing from years of the great war. It very well could have been they found a way to revive some of the Autobots that died in the Great War, continuity pitfall or whatever. He definitely has the possibility of being the G1 Ratchet though

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I smell a future forum complainer!

15. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Another (primarily) G1 fan here - I just saw the Animated premiere. The animation is very poor (what was that... five frames per second?), and I am still not a fan of the designs, although they do not look as bad in motion as they do in stills. However, I wish they didn't use the cartoon designs for toys and instead opted for "realistic" looking figures.

Having said that, the writing is very decent, characters are mostly well-developed (except for Bulkhead and the remaining Decepticons), and Sari is not as annoying as I thought she'd be. Voice acting is superb, but the lip-syncing doesn't work because of the aforementioned horrendous animation.

Overall: I'm looking forward to the next episode. I do not plan to buy any toys which cannot be placed next to, say, A/E/C figures and not stick out too badly. Oh, and I want more Decepticon action.

16. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    That is the funniest thing ever I also applaud you in exposing your kid to G1 transformers before she was corrupted by some of the lame cartoons that are on television now a days.

17. Johnator

I totally agree. I hope they focus a lot on the Decepticons and less on the human villains that are in the show.

18. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Awesome show so far. A rehash of G1 with the character interaction ala BW, mixed with G1 humor spiced with BW humor. Awesome stuff, plain and simple.

19. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Quick someone feed Prime something fast,was it really necessary for his thighs to be so thin?

As for Sairi{?},I find her to be more.....welcomed then the kids for the other series.She's whinny so far.

20. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I saw the hole 1hr. My best comment is "meh". Lots of G.1 references which I didn't like at all, I kept thinking "copy-cats". The story is fair to ok, but the animation I detested.... I sit back with a bitter feeling of "G.1 got raped".

I respect others like it, but this show just violates my view in TF's.