Thoughts on Alternator Skids?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot Burnout, May 1, 2009.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hey all, I just got Alt. Skids complete off eBay, and I was just wondering how he is as a Transformer and how people think of him as a whole. From looking at him, he's a nice looking bot with a neat alt mode, so he'll be a nice addition to my display. What I want to know is if he's worth the near $30 I paid for him.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think any Alt. is worth $30. I really like him.

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Well I think that is a little but expensive. since I bought him at retail for $20. other than that I was a little dissapointed in the car choice.

G1 Skids is a Honda City Turbo. In the Uk the Honda City was called the Honda Jazz.

Since the Honda Jazz in the UK today is now the Honda Fit, Skids should have been a Honda Fit.

other than that he is a great figure.

4. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beer can on wheels. Great bot mode though :D 

5. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    beer can? too round. More like a toaster.

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I have a fondness for this figure because I like (and used to own) the Scion xB. But that's just me.

7. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Pretty cool figure with good articulation. One of the better looking Alternators in robot mode. As for the car mode, he's a Scion for pete's sake. So can't really expect too much. I think he would be a whole lot better if he didn't have the stupid flames on the side.

As to paying $30 for him. I think you overpaid a little. He was one of the easier to find Alts.

Also, always wanted them to repaint Skids into Ironhide.

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    $30?....not a bad price. Its an Alt....average price is around 20 - 35 bucks for an Alt nowadays, with the rarer ones being some what higher.

As for Skids?...I like him, and I liked the Scion xB too....now, the newer xB?....do not like.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love my Alt Skids.

10. Autobot Burnout

The total price came to around $26.99 with shipping ($6.99), and if it hadn't been for some complete a**hole w/ no feedback who kept raising the bid by $1.50 every 45 seconds after I made my $20 max bid, I would have gotten Skids and shipping for $20 ($12.99 for the figure, $6.99 shipping). Had there been 5 second left in the bid, that moron probably would have snagged Skids from me.

Also, I never saw him in stores once, and the only Alt. I ever had until about a year ago was Hound, who I'd bought simply 'cause he was a Jeep. I picked up Alt. Battle Ravage (who I love) for $20 from some guy in Canada, but only 'cause he had the unique cat head (I have more reasons to like him now). I think Skid is the first Alt. I bought because of more than one reason now that I think about it: Great Alt. Mode (I love xB's, I probably will own every version of Animated Soundwave because he's some kind of xB), Nice G1-esque upper robot body, and he looks like he's got good articulation (including KNEES!).

11. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

A great toy. One of the best Alts IMO, I'd say your purchase is justified.

12. Ladies Man 217

Ladies Man 217 Ladies Man 217

I agree with everybody else on this one, Great bot mode, but vehicle mode is too boxy. I have often thought it would be cool to make mine into a Blaster, or Soundwave, and incorporate the G1 door for cassettes. Then I remember that I am lazy and sit on the couch and have a beer.

13. Autobot Burnout

Well, the Japanese did release a repaint of Skids as "Broadblast", who can be an excelent Alt. Blaster with a special Reprolabels set.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love my skids as well, an xb on the street not so much, but as an alt yeah, the ankles on mine are a little loose (fix later) and the rear seat falls out a lot, but other than that i like him

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Not a fan of the mold honestly, BTA Broadblast is in my opinion the best version of the mold.

16. Ladies Man 217

Ladies Man 217 Ladies Man 217

Whats that........Can't.....seem..... to ....pay....attention. Jiggly Avatar .......draining....all.....mental.......capacity. Be right back. I have to go do bad things.

17. Shockwave_Ops

Shockwave_Ops Well-Known Member

I dont think that the Honda Fit was around when this line came out. Either way, I also think that the car mode is a little off. I would have liked something different instead of a scion.

18. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    He is one of my favorite Alternators figures and the Alternators line is one of my favorite lines along with Masterpiece.

Overall... super awesome figure. The transformation is really fun and complicated and he looks very much like a modernized G1. The Scion is a perfect fit for what he original was back in the 80's without being a 2 seater.

19. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i recently purchased him too off ebay, not that much but my driver door doesnt fit perfectly either, but i really like him in bot and alt mode.......scions just fit "differently" with all the vettes/ rx-4 vipers......good for variety
    oh i just scored alternator hound complete, loose for 15.35 shipped on ebay....score!!!

20. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I had one. As with all alts, he's a great one. Personally, I think the Scion xB is pretty ugly... but I'm a sports car kinda guy. As a toy, he's very good, and a worthy addition to any alt collection.

He suffers a bit from the fliddliness of most alts (his arms particularly, as I recall), but it's not as bad as, say, the Subaru mold's legs. Wasn't one of my favorites, so when I needed to sell some of my collection to help with money issues, he was one of the ones I didn't mind letting go. Still, I did like him while I had him.

$30 for an alt is good. Like I said, he's a good one, he just didn't float my boat. Here's hoping you enjoy him at least as much as I did, and hopefully more.