Thoughts on a line-wide gimmick...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Frognal, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Here's an idea I got from THS02: what about a line in which the figures interact with each in a more subtle way. Like THS 02 having Sideswipe's jetpack, but having that jetpack be a from an actual Sideswipe figure and only usable with Sideswipe and Prime. And the gimmick wouldn't only have figure accessories be used by certain other figures. There could be alt modes that work together, like an aircraft carrier that planes/helicopters/sea vehicles could attach to, but not actually combine with.

This works in bot mode too. Take for instance a figure (we'll call him "A") with a large attached gun. He could work together with another figure (we'll call him "B") to enhance the gun. Say like adding a tripod, barrel extension, and a power generator. And these added things could be a single accessory that breaks apart, like a gun figure B has. Or more simply like having Prime's gun attach to Megatron's gun when they have to work together to defeat a greater common enemy. Or the accessories from several figures could combine to create a totally separate device like a comm station or a gun emplacement.

Any thoughts?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sounds...complicated.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I do like the idea. instead of figs combining, have their fire power combine, that is an awesome idea

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting. A bit tricky to pull off, especially with non-universal pairings, but it'd be a great idea if they want to do two-packs or something.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the idea, it does sound somewhat complicated, but a TF Geek like me can appreciate that. :wink: 

6. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Interesting, it sounds a bit like the energon weapons that you could combine together. Sideswipes jetback is a good example though.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Kinda like what the Power Ranger weapons do.

That is a neat idea that could work in many ways.

Maybe add some new Target & Headmasters that can combine, into bigger bots or into bigger weapons to add to their partners alt mode.
    Or having someones tank cannon become Megs arm cannon.

Knowing Hasbro they'd give all the cool pieces to another Armada Sideswipe repaint and alll the dumb pieces to the cool cons.

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Dammit man, stole my thunder. I was going to suggest Head/Target/Powermaster combiners. Sure the combiner would be like Dinoking/Monstructor size, but it'd be kinda cool...and a way to get you to buy figures you might not otherwise b/c you need the limb. :redface2: 

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually, what you're talking about reminds me a lot of how the GI Joe 3.5" figures all have interchangeable backpacks, guns, etc. This would be cool for Transformers except that, generally, Transformers vary in size and shape in order to suggest a dynamic cast of characters who are also capable of handling a series of different tasks - some are huge and ungainly, some are small and deft.

Compared to humans, Transformers have a variety of different body types, even if they are based off of the basic two-armed biped design. Human action figures, though, come in about one size and shape - human. Interchangeability is a lot easier when everyone can generally do/hold/move the same things.

10. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'm not advocating total interchangability, that's boring and many times just ridiculous when applied to TFs (see Energon's combination gimmick). What I'm imagining are accessories that can be used by only two or three different figures, but not in the same way. A jetpack might just peg into one figure, but connect to another figure by way of fold out straps. This has a double effect; it gives a good reason for collecting a whole line without being overly harsh if you don't and individual figures will not have to compromise virtually anything.

11. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only gimmick I want to see is "Not Sucking"

I think a line focused arround "Not Sucking" could have alot of potential.

That said, there will no Twin Twist in this hypothetical line.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This thread makes me think about some of the missed potential of the weapons in the Energon line. They had interchangeable parts and standard-size pegs and holes, for use among almost every bot in the line. (and other lines as well), but many Energon weapons weren't really designed to exchange parts with other weapons, at least not without looking tacked-on and stupid. A bit more Lego-ish sensibility would have allowed for a lot of potential in weapon-building, and more bot carrying insanely huge guns and such, that could make Starscream's combined sword look anemic by comparison.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The trick with wide-line gimmicks:

The toy has to be able to function on its own WITHOUT buying another part, yet still be usable and add playability to other(another) toy.

Case in point, Armada was a huge success because you got two Transformers in one (figure and Mini-Con), and all the Mini-Cons could be used with the larger figures.

Energon was more of a failure because the gimmick of all the toys combining with each other left major playability issues on most of the figures.

Cybertron is a mixed success because they're using the same idea as Armada (something unlocks a feature in a toy), but without actually using a Mini-Con.

Imagine Cybertron toys that use Mini-Cons instead of Cyber Keys. The perfect line, so to speak.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    The problem is Minicons cost more than a single piece of plastic. Armada molds suffered not just because the design team was new, but because they had to make sacrifices to keep the cost within budget and make 2 figures for 1.

Something would have to be sacrificed, simplified larger figures or price hikes or something.

I'm sure people know this, but it seems too often keys and minicons are compared directly ignoring this factor, so just wanted to verbalize it once.