Thoughts for Botcon 2011 Troop Builders

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AllSpark Ferret, Jul 4, 2010.

1. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    Botcon 2009 had a Sweep troop builder pack and this year it was Sharkticons so I've been thinking of other situation where a set of identical toys could be sold at a relatively low price.

How about this for an idea; instead of 1,000 sets of 3 identical transformers, 1,500 sets of 2, to make new character versions of the Autobot & Decepticon clones.

MOONRAKER & FASTTRACK: Repaints of Classics Astrotrain as new Autobot Clones. The white on Astrotrain replaced with grey and the purple with red. Moonraker uses the space shuttle transformation and Fasttrack the train. Both identical apart from a small sticker on the chest showing which alt-mode they have:

WINGBLADE & POUNDER: Repaints of Universe Tankor as new Decepticon Clones. The white on tankor replaced with turqoise, black with grey and navy with purple. Wingblade uses the jet transformation and Pounder the truck. Both identical apart from a small sticker on the chest showing which alt-mode they have:

Alternatively, if it had to be another three-pack, how about Universe Ironhide, with new head, painted as earth versions of the generic Decepticon troopers from the G1 cartoon epsiode War Dawn.

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of using Triple Changers as Clones before.

For another idea, now that "the genie is out of the bottle," so to speak, on re-using molds they've already used, how about the Classics Starscream mold as three generic Seekers?

3. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    A few ideas:

o Cybertron Wreckloose as Quintesson Guards.
    o Energon Treadshot and Cybertron Clocker as War for Cybertron drones
    o Cybertron Ransack as Cy-Kill Drones(because as many times as that guy's died, they've gotta exist)

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I appreciated the idea of Troop Builders on Convention toys - I'd rather they were shop items and ones that could be re-manufactured if required.

Making Sweeps, Sharkticons - (or indeed F-15 Decepticon Jet Troopers) is not a terrible idea - it's just a bit frustrating that they work out so expensive.

If you wanted to buy 20 Energon Terrorcons it was not a problem - but just 20 FP Sharkticon's would cost as much as a serious collector would spend on Transformer in a year.

So for F-15 Generic Decepticon Jet Troopers i'd rather they were packed in another way at retail rather than costing a fortune.... I'd not mind if they made Rain Makers or a Universe Color Ramjet as Botcon toys though.

It might be worthwhile considering doing War For Cybertron Generics too.

People were not terribly impressed by the Insect Drones from Timelines though.

5. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He said Pounder..

It would be neat to get seekers repainted into the comic drone colors or those Heroes of Cybertron that had the pack with the generic seekers.

Man that color scheme looks great wish I had a spare seeker to paint up.

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I already have a ton of jets (real ones and KOs), but I would still be on board for a 3-pack of generic Decepticon jets (like the year they had a 6-pack of Heroes of Cybertron with three purple guys).

edit: I am talking about this: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Air_Warrior

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Retail-wise it's not that expensive. The sweeps were $49 which make it $17 per which isn't that bad but they were hard to get. The sharkticons were $59 or $20 per shark but it wasn't that hard to amass a collection if you were at the convention. I heard one guy was going to recreate the scene from the movie and bought 80 or so of them.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    whitemocha better get going on some new digibash ideas.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I seem to remember Pete or Brian saying they'll only do troop packs when it makes sense for them to do them, otherwise they might do a single figure or another two pack. Given the obvious two choices for troop sets are already taken, odds are we'll probably see that route taken in future. Or a Starscream design in Air Warrior colours.

10. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Reflector Clones from the Spyshot mold?

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Haha, thanks.

Now that troop-builders have been used a few times, I should have included them as a third option in more of my set digibashes. :) 

Can you imagine the furor if the 2007 set had included a troop-builder 3-pack of Seekers? The fan-rage would have been even more epic!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love the idea of using Astrotrain and Tankorr as the Clones. :thumbs2: 

When you think of it, It would be easier to do two figures instead of three, The best part is the clones troup builders is their will be more of them and less of a chance to sell out on day one.

13. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The shame is that the Sharkticons could have been done another time and and a troop builder Marvel G2 troopers set could have been done this year.

I loved this years stuff, but still wish there had been some comic homage in the set.

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If they can use Animated molds, Virulent Clones:
    [​IMG]

If they can use movie molds Reflector:[​IMG]

Otherwise, they haven't used Energon Insecticon yet, I'd like to see a pack of Insecticon Clones in G1 color.

15. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    Awesome. Please make these for Botcon 2011. Better still, Hasbro, please make these for Generations.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think Classics Astrotrain makes a passable Blast-Off.

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya, that was the set I meant too, though I do like the blue on the comic versions.

I love the reflectors I want to say I have seen some realgear reflectors before.

18. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to say that the two most obvious ideas have already been used. How many people were predicting sharkticons before we saw the gnaw repaint? Not many as far as I remember. Same for the Sweeps, even. I don't think people were clamoring for those as an obvious toy.....it just worked well once we saw them.

For future sets, I think seeker drones would be awesome ("obvious") as would insecticon clones (maybe energon insecticon in G1 colors), Cyclonus' armada (similar to sweeps based on the cyclonus mold), quintesson guards of some sort, etc.

Or, how about this.....repainted 3 packs of minibots (maybe the legends beachcomber, brawn and hound molds) in random assortments of blue, yellow and white with mystery rub-signs done as minispies? I'd be all over those. Hey.....they could even just put one random one per bag (like they did with the minicons in 2008) as an homage to how the minispies were given out originally.

19. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya I'm down for troop builders for the generic seekers, insecticon clones, junkions, more quintesson guards, reflectors,

20. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We talked about this on the WTF@BotCon shows.

We want Reflector clones.