thoughts & comments about cartoon-verse & comic continuties

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by VAwitch, Aug 7, 2007.

1. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A few days ago, I posted to several LJ comms, the first chapter to a fan fic I'm dinkering with: (if I can get re-tracked, it'll probably appear here or on ff.net)

Shadows of the Past, Light of the Future

I've run into a major author-block for the overall arc. I really wanted to have the dead 'Bots back. Had a couple of ways to do it. BUT, I like the overall story (esp the non-Earth-based issues, and characterizations) from IDW (&DW) (and Kup's Spotlight is integral to his personal portion of my story). Then realized, *ACK* - the 2 universes aren't really compatible. And my thought-train has de-railed off the hillside. Right now, I've got PWPs w/ pointless arm candy (to borrow a phrase tossed my way).

I'm just having brain blankage on how to resolve this. Any comments would be greatly appreciated, and if used, credit will be given. Comments like how you reconcile the cartoon w/ the comics (if ya do).

Now, yes, I know - combining the two is asking for problems. But I don't know how familiar the fic-fandom is with the comics (Marvel US G1 or otherwise). Heck *I'm* rusty about it (thank goodness for Wiki-notes).

*rant on* I had heard about the inconsistencies & incompatibilities of the different "universes", but OMFG is it insane! :banghead:  :banghead:  While I understand *why* IDW had to re-set the timeline for the TF story 20 yrs in the future, I'm beginning to feel like it's deja vu to when BSG came out - you have to take each entity on its own. but...but...it's my childhood :cry : *rant off*

2. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

combining the two is asking for problems.

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I can see your dilemma. I'd say go ahead and just use the IDW universe if your characterizations like Kup are coming more from IDW than from the G1 cartoon regardless of less people reading the comics or not, unless there is some vital point of your story than is firmly G1 cartoon cannon that you haven't mentioned yet. From reading your first chapter I don't see anything so far that couldn't be tweaked if you decided to use IDW. Maybe if I knew more about what you were trying to do with your main plot that might help.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i love how skyshadow(?, best first author) combines the two. a bit of a fanwank but wonderful to read. when one canon conflicts with another, just make the other a form of conjencture/possible alternate event.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yeah, sometimes you can get away with creating your own version to suit your needs. That's definately another option. Heck, if Hasbro can keep coming up with their own new continuities left right and center then you can certainly create a continuity all your own. Just take the part your like, ignore the ones you don't and just give your readers a little heads up or author's note about what you decided to ditch/keep as long as you say up front it's your own alterate TF universe most people should be fine with it and understand where you are coming from and not be too confused.