Thoughts about the upcoming movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot HipHop, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

First off i'd like to say "what's up!" to all the members here on the board. This is my first post here and I've been reading eveyone's comments and have enjoyed all (even the flame wars between the ranters and the ravers :)  With that being said let me move on to my thoughts about the upcoming film...

My main concern for this movie is if the producers will be able to present good characterization overall in an action film and properly portray emotion, both by the TF's and humans. I just watched TF the animated movie again and although there were plotholes galore the characters still stand up well even after 20 years; Magnus the struggling leader, Springer with his dry humor and quick wit, Kup the old war veteran, Hot Rod the classic dreamer who just wants to be someone that matters (like Luke in SW A New Hope). I hope Hasbro and co. learned their lesson and don't kill off prime within 20 minutes of the live action film!!!

I think the main thing that makes the Transformers work well, outside of them being able to transform into cool vehicles and robots, is that they all have distinct personalities. Are Bay and friends capable of portaying characters without it being too cheesey?

TF the live action film has a chance to be very riveting in it's portrayals of the human elements BUT it also has the chance to be very soupy (ala the love interest betwen Lois Lane and Superman or the poorly used villain Lex Luther in Returns).

Perhaps I'm asking for too much. Perhaps this is the era where more people prefer a quick Wendy's value meal over a nice 3 course meal. Where a summer action flick needs to be dumbed down to a public that can't possibly digest the concept of "mass shifting". That just might be the case here.

I'm all for great action sequences but the best classic movies have a good mixture of both story and action (ie. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman I and II). I hope Tranformers the live action movie gives us more then just 1 hour of great CGI and 1 hour of boring daytime soap opera type drama! I just want the best for one of my most beloved franchises!

Thanks for listening to my long @$$ first lol.

Autobot HipHop

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to the board and it's good to read a NON-vitrolic post regarding the movie :) 

But you are mistaken on 1 point. Michael Bay didn't direct Superman Returns, that movie was directed by Bryan Singer. The only Michael involved in Superman Returns is Michael Dougherty

In terms of characterization, since this is a planned trilogy. It'll be branching characterization. And from the small amount of spoiler info I do know *highlight to read* Someone dies but it's not Prime

And IIRC the movie has a few different story point in regards to the Transformer-human interaction. With those point converging at the end.

And if you haven't already try reading the prequel comic and or novel. It's not my thing but you may enjoy it :) 

3. Autobot HipHop

Ah, I see I got the two Michael's mixed up hehe. Thanks for the correction. Branching characterization, I like that. That should mean that the Tf's should be getting extra special attention...hopefully.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

First off, Bay had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Superman Returns, that was Bryan Singer.

Secondly, everything I've seen so far points to the fact that the bots in this film will be just as emotive as they have ever been. The film, though having a much darker and serious tone then any TF series before it, will have it's dramatic and humerous moments, much like the films you listed all had. Now while I can't comment on the actual quality of the movie, I can say that it should be one very entertaining film.

edit: bah, took too long to post.

5. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

As long as they reformat the Transformers so that they are more acceptable by mainstream public and not looked at as a toy for kids or nerdy geek kids everywhere. Lets face it, TF fanatics are looked at at the same light as the nerdy Trekkie kids that I make fun of constantly. The franchise NEEDS a more serious and cool spin on the original concept if they are wanting to break public perception of the TF. Michael Bay has even emphasized in an interview that these are NOT the same kids toys. He should emphasize that more.

What I want is what he is doing. I think the re-designs of these robots are going to work. What is left to be seen is how the story plays out ... THAT is what will break the story, though, I have a feeling that IF it tanks, the geewunners (sorry for using the term) will say .. "OMG IT FAILED BECAUSE PRIME HAS FLAMES!" Give me a break. If it fails, it will be because it was a bad movie, not because a few geeks are turned off because they don't think StarScream is sexy anymore.

That being said, I do hope that it is not too soupy between the main guy and the main girl of the movie. Although, it has been said by Orci on the official TFTM forum that the relationship is not a love interest. Whether it will look like that on the big screen or not is still to be seen.

As far as the human element. OF COURSE you have to have LOTS of human element. This is NOT the cartoon. On this planet, there are mainly humans. In the cartoon, I guess the US government doesn't care that there are evil robots on earth and are comfortable enough with the autobots to just leave the Decepticons alone for the most part. That was one of the most CHEESIEST parts of the original cartoon. In a real life situation, our government would not let those robots breath. Our military would mobilize to try and defeat the threat, not just sit idly by. There SHOULD be very little time where we don't see humans. What some of these people want is mainly robots, where humans (like the cartoon) just leave the robots alone? What a load of crap ... it would never happen like that in real life, and this movie is trying to portray the TF in a real life situation. All the human interaction is a MUST.

Welcome to the board by the way! I can't wait for this movie to come out!

6. Shaun_C

That's the only way characterization could work. The movie's going to be over 90 mins. Hard to really shove that much characterization in such a short space. I can't really think of 1 action film that managed to add strong characterization unless it was a serial

Kind of like how to get the full characterization of the important SW characters you need to see Eps 4, 5 & 6 to get the full picture of who they are

7. Autobot HipHop

Yeah, i"m kind of in the dark because Ive been trying to stay away from spoilers. (I totally ruined the Phantom Menace for myself...but once I saw it pretty much ruined everything al by it's lonesome ) And speaking of dark.

I'm all for darker, I think the Transformers as a whole are in serious need of a reboot. Although I don't want to bring this down the well traveled road of "G1 vs new movie" blah blah blah, I'm a G1 fan at heart and I can still see why they want to go a totally different direction with the movie. I think it can work if they concentrate on the characters more so then 38 hour computer renderings...

8. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

EXACTLY. Yet, people get mad when other robots ARENT in there. They want all of these robots, AND characterization. In a 90 minute movie, pretty much impossible to do without cutting out the general audience and leaving them in the dark as to what is going on. SURE you could make a movie for the fans and leave it up to their personal experience to fill in the gaps, but that would be a stupid move on the part of the movie writers. This is a movie for the general population, not the fans ... which it should be.

9. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I'm a G1 fan too ... been with it since the first episode. I would much rather them reboot the franchise into something more acceptable and "cool" by mainstream, instead of a thing for kids and "TF geeks".

10. Shaun_C

Hence why they did a pretty much total reboot. Kept the basics, but at the same time need to do the origin, arrive on earth and meet human friends/allies thing over. Like what they did with Spiderman and X-Men. I'll be surprised if in June when I see it that it's less then 2hrs. Honestly being realistic this movie has to be over 100 something mins. Otherwise it'll be WAY too rushed. Too many plot points for a 90 min movie

I always remark on when I watch the '86 movie. After the first 30 mins, the movie goes by WAY too quickly.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Wellllll...... I hope this can maybe shine some light on doubts with Michael Bay, he directed Armagedion and Pearl Harbor.

The guy who read the script and choose to hire Bay as director is Steven Speilberg.

Oh yeah, and it's still going to be a movie about giant robots.

12. Skitch76

Skitch76 Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I didn't know that. Way cool!

PS. Be careful, all, when quoting this post. The spoiler shows up. = /

13. Autobot HipHop

QFT bro!

You summed up what I was getting at. I wasn't really sure if they were planning on the new movie being a trilogy type thing. You know how some movies tack on subsequent sequels but they are totally different from the first movie (like the batman's after Michael Keaton).

Characterization is mad important, but you also need to let the story breath and flow.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Welcome! It's always great to see new members express their feelings on the movie eloquently! I have similar concerns about the storyline, but I'm definitely not going to expect thought-provoking poiniant cinema. To be honest I've never seen a Michael Bay movie that I didn't have to sit back and just enjoy the explosions. I'm expecting Transformers to be a popcorn flick with stunning CGI and lots of great action sequences. And Megan Fox cleavage of course:D 

15. Autobot HipHop

I can't wait either! Your earlier point about the TF's being too "geeky" can't be overtstated enough! Everytime I try to introduce a new person to the TF world by showing them the TF animated movie or an old toy, I always get a sort of raised eyebrow type reaction. Like "yeah that's cool but uhh, you actually still like transformers?" lol. They are still seen as being way too geeky, and now that I look at the 1986 movie and g1 cartoons through "grown up" eyes, they do come across as being very geeky/ and saturday morning cartoonylol.

First time I saw the new designs I had a knee jerk reaction..."why can't they just reproduce g1" was my initial thoughts. But now that I look at them, I see the G1 influences, they are there but aren't as streamlined as the original g1 aesthetic. I like the new look, it looks more hardcore, these TF's look like they can kill $hit. They no longer look like they should only be kids toys.

16. Autobot HipHop

I hear ya, and like someone else said there is such a thing as too much characterization. I'd just like them to strike a good balance. It's no coincidence that the best classic movies have a great balance of story and action :) 

17. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

F^&* the "mainstream"...I hate TRENDY people. People that just latch onto something because it's "new", and "cool"....I hate people who like to sacrifice the integrity of such under- ground mediums, so that maybe their friends don't give them as much crap for liking such a "kiddy" medium. Because now they're "cool". Whatever the reason...I'm of the belief that everything that hits mainstream become JADED, AND CHEESY or already is because people's attention spans are progressively getting shorter and shorter. Intricate, complex, and innovative musics and other entertainment is too much to process. That's why MTV and reality TV in general is so big today, .people are too stupid to appreciate anything that has any worth. Look at EMO and POP music for instance EMO and POP music are for the cheesy, easily pleased, gutless, trendy people....emo bands don't have any talent behind them...their guitarist strum simple bar chords to death, their singers sound like whinny prepubesant punks, and the only ones in the bands that put down anything semi noteworthy are the drummers...THAT DOESN'T MAKE FOR GOOD LISTENING...and POP...the people singing sometimes don't even sing, they lipsink...and they don't write their own music..they buy it from someone else to "sing" and "perform" it as their own...it's a RARITY that pop princesses like spears, simpson, or aguilera even CO-WRITE the music they produce....

ANYWAYS...the point I'm trying to make is...MAINSTREAM isn't always a good thing, take a look at the music industry right now if you need any proof. We don't need this movie to make Transformers "COOL"..it's always been cool..I have friends to this day always asking about my collection, saying "you must be soo excited to finally be having a live action movie coming out" (Why yes, I am, I've waited 20 years for this) ....I have friends that have seen previews and when we're chillin' at parties bring up how they're excited as hell for this movie coming out....and these are not you average, run of the mill, "geeks"..as this ^ person soo callously put it...These are the guys and girls I grew up playing football with, and having cheer for us during the games..these were the "popular" kids in school...not the "geeks"...Transformers as far as I'm concerned is already a socially acceptable entertainment medium.

All this movie is going to do is bring a new group of TRANSFANS to the table...people that think the movie's story is the REAL mythos of the transformers...when it's NOT. AND THAT, NOW THEY KNOW THE TRANSFORMERS...kinda like how "mainstream" killed Kurt Cobain...."mainstream" will eventually leave this fandom Jaded and left for dead.

18. Autobot HipHop

Did you mean to say "After the first 30 mins, the movie goes WAY down hill?" hehe.

You know, at first I kinda struggled with the reboot but as I did more research about why they did what they did it makes a lot of sense. I honestly can't see this movie being less then 2 hours either. Im hoping it gets the 2 hours and some change treatment, sans too much kissy kissy love stuff for the girls ;) 

19. Autobot HipHop

You know, I love underground things, especially undergound hip hop. I grew up on it. But I think some people in the underground communities end up cutting off things they might end up liking just because it's seen as "mainstream". And vice versa.

Star Wars started off as kind of a cult thing but became a staple of the american culture. I used to think "mainstream" was always a bad thing but I no longer see it that way. I now take the time to make my own decisions and don't try to label things anymore without first doing a little research. It was a lazy approach for me and made me miss out on some cool things.

I also think that this movie, for better or for worst, won't change the jaded nature of Trans fans.

In other words Underground isn't always good and Mainstream isn't always bad.

Trust me, I see what you are saying, I don't like when people just latch on to a trendy thing justs because its trendy BUT on the flip side some people latch on to underground things just because its underground. That ain't cool either.

20. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said.