Thoughts about Relationships and Cheating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

This is something I've been wondering for a while after observing a coworker make some "not so smart" decisions in his personal life.

I think most everyone here can agree that cheating on someone you're with is a bad thing. But what about the third person that gets involved? Is it wrong to be the person a taken person is cheating with?

For example, let's say Doug has a wife, Jenny. Jenny then meets Tim at work, and they have an affair. Jenny, in my opinion, did a bad thing. But what about Tim?

Is Tim obligated to not allow Jenny to cheat on Doug? Is he perhaps bound by the Guy Code to keep his hands off another guy's girl? What if the situation were reversed, and Doug cheated on his wife with another girl; is that third girl at any fault?

2. Jux

Good Christ. I didn't realize I was still in G&A. Can I get a bump to GD please?

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G&A wtf?

haha! *points at jux*

4. Jux

I know, I was reading the COV thread, and then I stepped away to make dinner, next thing you know I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I suck at teh intranet

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I think for the third person involved it depends greatly on whether or not he/she knows that he/she is with a guy/girl that's taken...

If he/she knows, then I think he/she is just as guilty as the cheating person...

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would say that with the 3rd person its a 50/50 thing especially if the person did not initiate the relationship. theres a lot of variable to the circumstances/situation.

that said, the bad thing abt cheating would be getting caught. you never get into something that you know you cant get away with.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Right... It ain't cheating if you're not caught...:lol 

8. Jux

For point of clarification, let's say that the third person DOES know there is a relationship, but continues anyway. They may or may not have intitiated it, but at the end of the day it happened and they went along with it.

(and thanks for the forum bump)

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    In that case, he/she better count his/her blessings that they haven't been caught yet... And yes, I'd think the third party is just as guilty... Maybe a little less guilty if he/she wasn't the one who initiated it, but guilty nonetheless...

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

In the example you cited it's the wife who's at fault for the affair. Even if she didn't initiate the relationship she was wrong to get involved when she's in a marriage. As for the 3rd guy he's responsible too but he wouldn't have slept with her without her consent so the answer is obvious.

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 113-B of the Guy Code:

Never rub another man's rhubarb

Subparagraph 1: If said rhubarb is a friend's, any such rubbing is punishable by death.

etc., etc.

Subparagraph 4: If said rhubarb's husband or significant other is a total jackass, you are hereby granted all rubbing rights and priveleges.

So...in the case above, if Doug was a friend of Tim's before the affair, and especially before Doug married Jenny... :rip 

If Tim wouldn't know Doug from Adam were it not for Jenny, but Doug is a nice guy, this is in violation of the omitted paragraph 3 and Tim is guilty.

If however, Doug is a complete fucktard, having violated several other clauses in the Guy Code, particularly those that pertain to the treatment of the wife/SO, then Tim is not guilty.

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    :lol  MAN LAW!!!

13. Jux

"two Fridays or a new hairstyle - whichever comes first."

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That's what I was going to say.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Prickly.

Too many factors to consider. But if it gets to the point where you're going to cheat, for whatever reason, just fucking call it off with that person and get your groove on guilt free. *nods*

16. Jux

Eh, but this doesn't have anything to do with the cheater. I agree with you, that's what should be done, but how is the third person viewed?

17. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

A friend of mine is caught up in this at the moment, she's fooling around with an older married guy (who's also one of her bosses), she feels guilty about it especially since she found out his wife is expecting soon.
    He was the one who came on to her but I still think she's just as much at fault for reciprocating, and if he's got a baby on the way then it's more than likely just a bit of fun for him and so I don't want my friend to get hurt.
    I've had offers from women I know who are in relationships and also from random women out on the town who have engagement or wedding rings and I always politely decline as I don't think it's an honourable thing to do, of course I don't expect everyone to share my morals or anything but that's my feeling.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Bad, but not as bad as the cheater!

19. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Unless you caught the man on the downstroke with your wife, then he would be seen as just as guilty. He's the one you hit anyways. Then you either kick the wife/girlfriend out, or use your freebe card.

But all and all, I believe both are just as guilty. Your heart only gets broke at the thought of your loved one, but if the third party knew then he is just as guilty.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, agree with you. If the 3rd party has knowledge, he/she is guilty.