Minor/Repaint: Thoughts about a true Animated Snarl

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by iconscons, May 28, 2008.

1. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

When animated comes out, I will buy two "snarls" One left alone (slag) and the other to be redone as a stegosaurus. However I see a problem...My intention is to add the plates using styrene. But I see that the top of the dinosaur tail (where the plates will go) becomes the bottom, or downturned portion in bot mode. In bot mode the plates will be facing downward, which does not jive well with the expected snarl look.

I'm looking for input and thoughts for a possible fix to this?

Attached Files:

2. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

mybe swapping the tail round so it points up in dinosaur mode, it looks like the tail might swivel round to get into that position in bot mode not to sure how that would work until i actually have the figure.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I agree 100%, Slag is Slag. :thumbs2:  I will be trying to build a Snarl as well as Sludge(Lord help me here!). I wonder if the base of the tail (where the two halves are ball jointed to) could be made to rotate. If so, problem solved!!

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The tail swivels around to get that way in bot-mode, all you would really need to do is just not swivel it when you transform him. I was thinking about this, but I'm not sure how the dino-head change would work. I'd have to see it done before I attempted it. I'd also want to make a Sludge to go along with the others, but can't think of any mold that could be modified to look like him. It would probably need to be mostly scratch built.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't think having the tail point up in dino mode would look very good, but if you're that worried about the plates being on the bottom of the tail (which, if I'm honest, seems a smidge picky - it's not like you're going to get a perfect G1 Snarl by modding Slag), then how about just having the tail point down in robot mode?
    Personally, I think it'll look fine with the plates and spikes pointing downward and the tail positioned as is.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

Yeah, I agree, I will have to scratch build a lot. I'm thinking Voyager Bulkhead as the starting point, with the short legs and round body. From there, who knows?:inquisiti 

Back on point. It seems the tail section does swivel, so it can be done!! The head will have to change though, for the sake of individuality!

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm not really a big fan of this mold... at least in robot mode. He's just a bit too dopey and cartoony looking (an odd critique considering it's Animated, but still). Maybe doing some modding for both Slag and Snarl will improve it?

It looks like you can rotate the halves of the tail up, and I agree... those plates should face up if possible. However, doing this will face the hollow side of the tail forward on his back, which may look funny. If you elect to repaint the tail gold, you might want to do the interior too.

Snarl's little stego head might work well on his chest... it might take the place of the cockpit window on G1 Snarl.

zmog

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The round piece that the tail sections are attached to swivels around, so the hollow parts wouldn't be a problem.

9. iconscons

Regarding assorted comments:
    I've seen the youtube review that most of us have seen, and while rotating the tail portion around would make the added plates point up, it would make the tail portions itself point down...closer to waist level then.

I'm hoping I can do something to make the tail portion point up in dino mode, but I doubt I'll be able to do it because it won't flow smoothly into the torso of the dino.

As far as the head is concerned, I'll grind down the mini-horns, and paint the majority of it black.

10. Rojas-soup

Rojas-soup Banned

News Credits:
    You can take the head apart and the horns come out. Also that whole tail piece rotate so it not a too big problem. Sorry English my second languages.... I painted mine like the show, collar too with the buttons gold, is good.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just curious, since you already have a Snarl figure, could you post a picture of him in his dino-mode with the tail rotated around so that it's upside down compared to what it would normally be? I'm curious to see what that would look like, as I have an idea (probably not going to do it, but it could still happen).

12. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i would put a ball joint on each half if i was worried about those issues.

13. Rojas-soup

Rojas-soup Banned

News Credits:
    ok,tmorrow sometime in day. It look very bad, almost drags the ground and back is a half inch higher but I will still put on the picture here.

14. Rojas-soup

Rojas-soup Banned

News Credits:
  15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
  16. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    You might beable to remount it higher it would be slightly evasive and some bashing required but it could possibly be done.

17. Rojas-soup

Rojas-soup Banned

News Credits:
    I it think can be done with remounting, only way though. It mounts to the part where his head is attached, his shoulders split into an there is a base under that.

18. iconscons

What I may end up doing is removing the tail section entirely, and find some new way to mount it as you have said. Another option, possibly, is to take the point of rotation (presumably some sort of peg), and rig it so it can slide up and down, and rotate.