Thought for fans of the G1 cartoon...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My fiance has finished reading season 8 of buffy from Dark Horse. Now it's been discussed to death why or why not a season 5 direct to dvd movie can't be made. Obviously Hasbro doesn't care much about the fiction as much as it's bottom line so I wondered...

If season 5 U.S. were released as a comic series from IDW would that work for those of you clamoring for more? Separate from comics continuities and continuing the original television series continuity. Also, to go further, an amendment season 2.5 for lead up to the movie.

I know there are a lot of fans of the comics but this is aimed specifically at fans of the OG tv series in the states.

2. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    I highly doubt there is a enough interest; plus IDW is already doing two other G1-style books.

3. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's cartoon continuity and , believe it or not, the fan base for that continuity is pretty big. There's a few groups on facebook that would like to see something to continue the series and do a lead up story.

Of course people didn't see a point and doubted the original marvel series would be continued. We saw how that ended up :) 

4. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    Yes; but it doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

Can it happen? Yes.
    Will it happen? No.

While I find the concept neat, I personally would have zero interest. (I'd be happy for those fans that would though)

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If someone did a G1 Season 5 comic series, I'd probably take it the same way I did the Buffy Season 8 comic: Initial excitement followed by complete disdain.

They can't follow it up. That time has passed. At least in the case of Buffy, you have Joss and some of the original writers. And it still doesn't work (imo). Without the original G1 writing staff, you wouldn't even have that much of a chance to get it right.

I'm a huge G1 fan and I wouldn't want it at all.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They already relaunched the G1 comic, and there's multiple G1-universe series. Why do you think a continuation of a 27 year old children's cartoon is necessary as well, or would be successful?

Buffy and Angel did the whole "next seasons as comics" things because they were already aimed at a teen/adult market.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Just ignore rebirth and watch Headmasters?

8. Leonis Prime

Leonis Prime Ai-Megumi's Man

Shouldnt it be called season 4 still since there were only afew episodes in that season.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Personally, I'd like something that bridges the gap between Season 2 and The Movie.
    ... LOL

"I highly doubt there is enough interest in G1."

"IDW currently has two ongoing series in line with the continuity that I just said doesn't garner enough interest."

Logic took a header somewhere in that thought process.

I'd dare to even say that there's MORE fans of the cartoon continuity over the comic continuity. I'm sure there would be PLENTY of interest for such a notion.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Dreamwave tried that approach when they still had the TF license. I liked what they did, mostly because of Figueroa's art, but ultimately it didn't amount to much.

11. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you could gather the Bob Budainsky bios for the 1988 line and reduce them to one or two sentence blurbs...

If you could reassemble the original story editors and a group of the original writers, give them those blurbs and direction on which toys should really be supported most to push product, And if you could then get them to write a bunch of 1980s children's cartoon style and quality scripts in a rediculously short timeframe....

And then if you could send those super quick scripts off for non-English speaking artists to draw in a likewise rediculously short timeframe that did not allow any room for communication or correction...

If you could then get the dialogue to all be rewritten in a unique "dialect" or voice for each character to provide the only characterization for the majority of the cast...

Maybe... Maybe the you could get it to feel something like the G1 toon. Still I'm not sure you'd capture the vibe.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the show had lasted 3 or 4 more years, but it didn't and I'm kinda doubtfull you could recapture the "magic" that made it what it was feel wise even under the best circumstances.

-ZacWilliam, it's the circumstances and external factors that shaped so much of that 80s material and those factors just don't exist anymore...

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I firmly believe that a continuation of the cartoon as a comic would flop, because it would be a comic. I think most of us that made the cartoon-to-comic jump have found Sunbow to be the lesser continuity of G1, and those who haven't made that jump probably aren't willing(ie: the pictures don't move, it wouldn't be free).

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What do people still want strange plot ideas, cheesy writing and animation errors galour?

14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would read it, but I'd be much more interested in a continuation in cartoon format, if they could get the animation and voices close (or some of the original voice actors).

I think if they were going to do that, they would have done it already, but you never know.

I'm perfectly happy with a continuation of the comics, because that was always cannon to me since I discovered it... The cartoon was just an added bonus.

15. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well ,even though no g1 cartoon only fans answered, I can see where this is going. Just a thought and a curiosity.

Now it's bugged me that no one is reading the OP fully (g1 cartoon fans, U.S. Transformers were somehow overlooked) but that comes with the territory and I can live with that BUT why would you think a comic book would have bad animation?

The first two traits mentioned? Bay proved that people love cheesy writing and bad hole filled plots.

Personally I would enjoy a stylistic throwback to the cartoon but as a story fill in from season 2 to the movie. I'd still prefer a direct to dvd, like DC and Marvel do, retelling of G1 possibly using IDW comics as a base and done in 2d animation.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think that could be kinda tongue-in-cheek fun for a cartoon-based comic like that.

I don't really know how long such a title could go on for but I'd defintiely be up for some kind of Summer Special one-shot drawn almost as if it was screengrabs from a lost episode of the cartoon, with a silly plan-of-the-week plot and intended 'animation errors' such as wrong faction logos on TF, duplicated and miscoloured characters, cels misaligned or in the wrong order so a character is smaller because their background cel is put in front of a foreground character.

But I'm guessing all that isn't what the OP was really intending though. The problem is that without the animation medium and its quirks you're just left with the continuation of the cartoon story and perhaps that wouldn't be enough to sustain it.
    I suppose it could be interesting to see what happened after Galvatron and Scorponok left Cybertron after The Rebirth, but really if I was going to have a G1 cartoon-styled title I'd much rather have the other option mentioned of it set before the 1986 movie to plug that gap between season two and the film.
    Perhaps at least a four-part miniseries of both those options would do. And if it did well then add more. But then it'll evolve and progress over time and soon not be as much connected to the cartoon series and just be another Transformers comic and the cartoon fans might then feel it betrayed its animation origins by losing the 'feel' of the old show.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Because by its nature, the art of the animated series was simplistic and bland, compared to the art of TF comics today. I'm not knocking the original series, since that was the point of making the animation easy to follow (and efficient to produce), and the style it set has become iconic. It would be a noticible step down from the standard of art today however (or even the comics back then, in a lot of cases), because of the inherent differences between the two mediums of comics and animation.

Why would fans of the animated series only be interested in a comic? Do you think they'd be willing to switch mediums to keep following the story, especially so long after the fact and with alternatives still on the air and on DVD? Again, the conditions are very different compared to buffy and angel.

There was already an adaptation/update of the 1986 movie into comics recently. It added a few new details to the story, but at the same time, showed the limitations in adapting those characters and stories into today's comics (the dialogue just doesn't come across the same way, for example), and I don't think it was overly well-received. A direct-to-dvd movie or special would probably be a better idea (if only because it stays within the same medium), but also one that would be much more costly to produce, and potentially riskier as a financial venture. I don't think we'll be seeing something like that in the near future.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Screw that, give me Transformers Animated Season 4! I don't care if its a cartoon or a comic at this point.