Those seemingly Painful missed TF purchases you experienced as a kid

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deathsheadx, Oct 20, 2011.

1. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

I’m sure back when we were kids we've run into situations where there have been Transformers we've seen in the shops which you really wanted and for whatever reason you were unable to get the item in question. To make it worse for whatever reason you never saw those items again until you were most likely a more adult collector.

What’s your most vivid recollection of the situation above?

For me it was the Headmaster Jr's at the tail end of the 80's

See, the Tesco’s in my area used to be a two story store. Foodstuffs on the ground floor, clothing, household and other goods on the upper floor. Well when they decided to close down their household. Clothing and other goods department and convert to a single floor, they were having a closing down sale and my mom went in to go look for stuff to buy.

While we were there I spotted the headmaster Jr's toys. These were toys I had never seen in person before, but recognised instantaneously as I had seen on the back of the headmaster's/Rebirth VHS and knew I wanted them.

Now I’ve always been a mindful child I knew how things were tight in the household, I hardly ever got pocket money to save for anything and so I never really asked for much. But I wanted them so badly. They were even in a sale and thus I asked.

My mom outright refused.

And I was devastated.

It stuck in my craw how my sister would make so many demands and never appreciated what she got and the one time I outright asked for something, I was refused.

oh I understood the excuse, about the tightness of money, but I knew that in this case even if she couldn't afford to get them all, she had the money and the means to get at least one for me.

to make matters worse that Tesco’s closed up that department soon afterwards and none of the other shops which sold toys ever had them on the shelves, not to mention the headmaster juniors went onto to be prominent characters in the marvel UK and latter Us transformer comics.

years later I was able to purchase mostly complete(missing head guns) versions of the autobot headmaster jr's and I was able to get a Squeezeplay, but it's still the most painful missed chance I ever experienced

so again, What was your Painful transformer related missed chance/purchase in your youth?

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Friggen, Transformers: Universe Nemesis Prime.

So, I started hanging out with these guys that lived directly across the street from me, who at the time came from a similar situation that I had (we each had a parent die), and so his parents understood that, so I spent a lot of time over there. And so, at a point we went to the Transformers section in Target, and they told me "Do you want this? We will buy it for you" (they where crazy rich!) But, I said no...I don't know why but... I said. "No.", because I would have felt really bad if they did. I mean it was like... what? Thirty dollars at that time? But yeah....

3. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

G1 Onslaught. I was in a store called Heck's with my dad and I finally persuaded him to get it when a huge storm hit and knocked out the power. I never have gotten around to getting him. Maybe it's time.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Powermaster Optimus Prime.

He was my holy grail as a kid. Searched for him forever, NEVER found him. Found spots on the shelf for him, but never in stock.

Until the action master era. found him at a meijers. Box had been opened, and Hi-Q was missing.

Dad chose to open the box to see if he was somewhere in there. Right in the middle of the store, pulled the styrofoam tray out, and we went through everything. Everything but Hi-Q was there. I understood powermasters at the time, only owning slapdash, and thought that you needed the specific partner to activate the transformation (not knowing that even a finger would work). So I passed.

Never saw him in a store again, until a comic shop in around 97 or so. Loose, didnt have the powermaster head. Again, I passed, because I never imagined I'd just find a head somewhere.

So, years later, I fork over 80 bucks for the god ginrai reissue. I was happy. SO. DAMN. HAPPY. but you know what? It wasn't the same. the changes made for God Ginrai made it too different.

I still need to find a mint, complete Powermaster Optimus Prime. MIB would be awesome.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    g1 grimlock. Always wanted him still haven't gotten him. I guess I should track one down one of these days. Wish the damned mp had shown up around me.

Maybe we'll get another classics style attempt some day.

6. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Stig's Asian Cousin

News Credits:
    85% of what I want gets turned down, i'm still a kid so I have a long way to go.... :( 

7. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Prowl

Watching the Bozo the Clown show in the mornings as a kid, which was taped in Chicago. At the end, they had this thing called the 'GRAND. PRIZE. GAME.' with five or six buckets set up in a line. The kid would toss a ping pong ball in all the buckets, and with each bucket, the prize kept getting better and better. I think that if you nailed the sixth bucket, they'd sometimes send of the kid with a Transformer, which at the time were NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to find in stores, at all. (Unless your mom or dad would go to TRU everyday, I guess - but for a year or two, they would still all sell out in minutes.) The one I remember them giving out was 1984 Prowl police car, who I'd still like to get in original packaging someday if there's ever a good deal. So jealous of those kids! And sometimes, they'd miss the SECOND bucket, which you could almost lean over and get the ball into. I even saw a kid miss the FIRST bucket, which was literally at his or her feet. I always looked for Prowl in stores, spending money was hard at that age to come by (no real allowance, just money stashed from birthdays and Christmas). I once raided my collection of $2 bills just to buy an '84 Ironhide, retailing around $13 (with tax). Sigh. P.S., Mom, I'm sorry about that $5 I stole from you one time, I am pretty sure I brought it up once and apologized though. We'll confirm around Christmastime.

8. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a pre-teen and I've passed on plenty of stuff. The entire Universe 2.0 line, and when I was at Target to get medicine a month ago, I saw WFC Megatron and Soundwave but passed on them to buy Generations Kup and I never saw those two WFC figures again.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

G1 Predaking. As a kid I would stare at his photos for hours in the various Christmas catalogs of the time. I eventually got him years later as an adult through trading.

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Jungle Bonecrusher :( 

11. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Being born in 1984, I only saw the later seasons of the TF series on TV (and it was probably just being rebroadcast then) - but I loved those 'bots. :)  I use to sit at a small wooden table, glued to the TV with my TFs in front of me, beside my Captain Crunch or oatmeal. :) 

Just a side note, but the feels of loss and nostalga for things can be summed up in an interesting word I found: Saudade.

Saudade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again." It's a pretty accurate description of what drives nostalgia for toys in myself, and perhaps others, too.

To the story: My painful memory came from how I got most of my Transformers: Yardsales. Money was always tight growing up, but my parents and I use to go yard sales to find alot of toys: Just as I was getting into toys, the generation who bought them in stores were going off to University and college - and their parents were cleaning house. :) 

Friends of mine were always jealous of all the cool 80's toys I had, even in the early 90's because mom and I were awesome bargain hunters. However, there is still some white whales that I saw, but couldn't afford. For every Powermaster Prime I got for $1, there was a complete Predaking that someones parents wouldn't sell for less than $50 - crazy money for a toy at that time, or so I thought. :) 

The same thing happened once with a complete (if repacked in it's box) G1 Devastator (green/purple). I begged for that figure - something I rarely did, knowing full well how tight a 1 income family with 4 kids could be, but my mom just said "No, sorry we can't afford it." There's a happy ending to this though...

A few months pass, and l had my birthday (Aug. 29th - day the world ends in Terminator 2, heh). What do I unwrap, but that same Devastator from months ago. Apparently my mom sent my father back to buy it, haggling the woman down to $20. :)  Some kid broke his hip joint while playing with him, but Devastator was the only complete combiner I ever owned as a kid - all thanks to yard sales. ^_^

I still long for a Predaking though $155 + shipping at BBTS for an ounce of recaptured youth? Not a bad deal. :) 

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I never got that G1 Hot Rod I always wanted... Until I was old enough to have my own income. Got a loose, figure-only Hot Rod for about $14 shipped from ebay. Then I started looking at Alternators, then I found TFW, then I bought MORE Alternators, then... well. Yeah.

Though I'll never forget that Brainstorm figure I saw at a K-Mart once upon a time when I was with my mom... was the only Transformer there, and the last one I ever saw until G2. I wish I had at least asked for it.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

this^ All I wanted as a kid was an Optimus Prime with a super mode. I saw RiD Optimus Prime in stores and I really wanted it but I knew my mom would never get it for me. Now I have him and all the combiners from RiD including Ultra Magnus.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I remember seeing the original Classics line and the TRU re-issues (especially Jazz) as a kid, but because I was off TF's because of Energon sucking so much I missed the oportunity to get so many of what are now coveted molds. Still missing any form of a Classics Optimus Prime, too.

15. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    Way back when I wanted all the G1 Seekers... Seen them everywhere. My mom never picked any up as some of my cousins had them. So far I've only managed to get the reissue of skywarp and thundercracker

16. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Me too!

17. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    My Mom wouldn't buy me RID Optimus Prime. Now that I'm getting it sometime, I'm going to do a troll dance in front of her with it.

18. Mr007Jamster

Mr007Jamster Decepticon Leader

I was going to get 6 movie figs off ebay, 99p each. My parents agreed, but then ON THE LAST MINUTE, THEY SAID NO!! I was so exited for them!

Another one - in 2007, i was in the shop with my mum, and we saw a barricade and bumblebee multipack. She said if she paid for it, i would have to pay her back £15.00. I agreed, then she said its a long time for no pocket money!

As you can see, i missed out on alot. I am 12 for god sake! The age perfect for TF figs!!

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Probably Transmetal Rattrap, but I should be getting one of those from a board member now, so crisis averted. :) 

20. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I always wanted to collect a complete combiner (any of them really), but it never happened... until this year, when I finally got FP Bruticus. And it was everything I hoped it would be.