Those of you who ship internationally

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Sioce, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I shipped a package to Italy back on Nov. 18th.
    The buyer sent me an email today saying that they had not received it yet.

I have noticed in a lot of sale postings that the seller will not ship to Italy.
    Has anyone had a problem with shipping there? Or does anyone know of a way to track the shipment?
    I am a little worried that the buyer is looking to screw me over. As I have having a hard time believing that it has taken over a month for it to get there.
    I used priority mail international.
    It is insured.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Did you fill out a customs form? If so you can track it with the number available. It should be a group of numbers starting with CP. Go to USPS.com and look for track your items and type in the number!

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if its insured, you can get your money back. Why don't you call USPS for help?

4. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    If you've used Priority Mail International then you should gotten a tracking number if you've requested for one. I really hope you did cause if not, you're screwed. I've heard that Italy's customs and postal system can be pretty bad, that's why no one tend to ship there.

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Even with the tracking number, sometimes it will only say that it arrived in customs but that is it. The guy could have received the package and you will have no way of knowing. The good news is that all you need to please ebay with is the tracking which proves it was delivered. Mexico is like this as well. I do send all over the world but am skeptical about these areas. Keep your receipts and make sure you follow through with ebay / paypal polices. You should be ok.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

You are receiving incorrect information from others.

It is illegal to send toys not made of wood to Italy.

The only 100% way for a seller on ebay to be covered in a paypal dispute, is to ship with Express Mail International. Priority Mail International with insurance does not guarantee that the item can be tracked, nor does it guarantee proof of delivery.

7. megamus

News Credits:
    Wow, kinda like what I said.....

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

Wow.....then you should be smart enough to realize that I wasn't referring to you.
    :rolleyes: 

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is 100% true, i'm not sure on the tracking number stuff for USPS, but the customs is very strict for italy, hence why no one will ship there, if a buyer insists on me shipping there i will mention in the first email that there is no way that i will refund their money if it does not reach them, if they do not agree to that term, i will not ship to them. plain and simple, i will ship it, and so far i have been lucky (only once had a problem. but it was the way their address was printed on the paypal page)

10. megamus

News Credits:
    Yes but I have had no problems with shipping priority with customs tracking. I did not have to use Express mail. I had to file one claim and they took the customs number as tracking. So technically, no you do not have to use express mail but you did say to be 100%, I missed that so yeah to be 100% I guess express would help but like I said it was not necessary in my case. The big point is and I think everyone is saying the same thing. You cannot track directly to the person's doorstep (unless I am wrong). If it bugs you then do what a lot of people are saying, don't ship there... Oh and Da_Last_2_Walk I was not picking on ya or anything.... It's all good;) 

11. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    screw italy...do not ship there...simple and worry free....if you ship there then you will eventually get a life lesson teaching that you should not have shipped there when paypal takes money from you for lack of a delivery or something else like customs impounding your package...

12. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh the joys of shipping internationally. :banghead: 

and what everyone else said. EMS has much better tracking. But either way just to stress it again. You can use your customs form number on USPS.com to see what the tracking info is. Then give that same info to your buyer.

Hopefully things work out

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

The fact that you haven't had any problems using Priority Mail International has nothing to do with the Sioce's problem. If the buyer from Italy opens a paypal dispute, Sioce will have to prove the item was delivered. The only way to prove this 100% is with Express Mail International. If Priority Mail International is used, there is a customs number that can be tracked most of the time. However, if the customs form is not scanned by the Post Office in Italy, it will not show up as delivered. If the customs form is scanned, then like in your case, everything will be fine.

Yes, you are wrong. Express Mail International will track the item to their doorstep, and will state when the item was delivered.

It's all gravy baby! :thumbs2: 

14. Da_Last_2_Walk

Be careful bro, just because they agree to your terms doesn't mean they can't open a paypal dispute against you.

I would suggest that if you do ship there, that you use Express Mail International to cover yourself 100%.

15. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the tip about the customs form.
    I entered the customs umber on usps.com and they have tried to deliver the package to her everyday for the last 2 weeks.
    I mailed it to her confirmed address from paypal....so I think I am safe.
    Thanks again all!

16. Dista

Dista Old Skool Crackhead

This happened to me a few weeks back. I sold a Ruination set that went for a decent amount, shipped it, but it never got there.

So I ended up having to refund the buyer and eating the postage cost also. Way to lose £70.

So now, it's insured postage all the way.

17. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

Last time I shipped to Italy from Japan, it took over 6 weeks for the item to arrive. Stuck in customs...

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    we have a slightly different system in canada i think, i always insure for 100% of the auction price including shipping, or $100 minimum, just in case it gets lost, and ship with tracking

19. Da_Last_2_Walk

I'm not familiar with Canada's postal services.

The USPS will not include the shipping cost in an insurance claim. They will only insure the cost of the item.

I just know that as long as you can provide proof of delivery to paypal, you will be ok.