Those of us who liked TF2 not sufficiently evolved

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AZA2, Jul 7, 2009.

1. AZA2

AZA2 Autobot

I came across this comment by Roger Ebert about those of us who liked and happened to think TF2 was a good movie. It seems like today people think that if someone doesn't agree with them, then they are somehow a lesser, uneducated, less "evolved" person. Here is the quote taken from Robert Ebert's Journal, online Chigaco Sun Times edition:

"Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve."

-Roger Ebert

Here is my response:

Mr Ebert-

Your comment about those of us who enjoyed and dare say thought that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was a good movie are somehow less evolved than an elitist movie critic such as your self is a load or crap. Who are you to pass judgement on whether a person is "evolved" or not becuase they have a different opinion of a movie than you. For ME both Transformers movies were great and I loved them both. Sure there were parts that could have been done without, mistakes made and plot holes left wide open. I go to see a Transformers movie for robots, robots and more robots. I go to have fun, laugh and be amazed by the CGI. I could do without 90% of the human screen time and the less than tastefull humor but if I had the choice of seeing these two films or not getting any Transformers on the big screen then I will, dare I say, settle for what we have be given.

I also think that it is funny that people complain about the references to the current President and the misguided directives from him that are in the movie are somehow offensive, when the first movie had a less than flattering scene with the previous President laying on a bed in Air Force One, with his red socks on asking for a Ding-Dong from the stewardess.

There are many people that hate this movie simply because of the Obama references and that it portrays our military in a very positive way, regardless of acting, plot etc.

Your opinion doesn't have any more value than mine, you just get paid for yours. You have no more value as a human being than any one else despite you education, money or whatever else you think gives you the right to talk down to a group of people with a differing opinion.

So in closing those of us less evolved people will go on enjoying Transformers films as long as they continue to make them. I don't care what you think Mr Ebert, never have, never will.

Chuck

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i like tf2 movie - i like anicent tfs in tf 2 movie

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Where did he say that people who liked the movie are less evolved? I believe he only mocked the idiots who viciously lash out of anyone that even DARES think negatively of their precious movie, and I can not blame him for doing so.

4. AZA2

AZA2 Autobot

RA88, as quoted in my post:

"Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve."

-Roger Ebert

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Considering all of the rude and simple-minded comments he's received from idiot fanboys regarding his review, I'd say he's justified in making that particular statement.

He's a film critic. He's going to get a ton of flack for what he says regardless. It's been this way since he started reviewing films.

Ebert is entitled to his opinions on ROTF, many of which are valid, but they're not going to take away from my own thoughts and feelings on this movie.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Seems obvious to me he's talking about taste and not in terms of mental development.

I'd have to agree with him, but then I'd have to burn my Charlies Angels DVD's.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    He means that if you consider RotF to be a technically, good, well-made film (not just an enjoyable one) he hopes that you will continue to grow as a film fan, and discover films that are crafted much better than a Michael Bay action film. I know exactly where he is coming from.

RotF fans who haven't seen films like Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey need to get on that.

8. Kapit

Kapit Badass?

He's talking about taste in film, not level of intelligence.

This is purely unscientific, but of the people I know, those that haven't seen movies like The Godfather tend to like ROTF, whereas those that like "the classics" didn't like ROTF.

So what's he suggesting is that those that like ROTF, go watch the films that make motion pictures an art form, and then go back and watch ROTF and see how poorly made the movie is.

9. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    So... Roger Ebert is a dumb ass... who knew? :p 

10. AZA2

AZA2 Autobot

I loved the movie, I don't think less of anyone that did not, that is their right to have their opinion. My problem is when you have people like Ebert who think that we should listen to his opinion becuase it somehow matters more because he is educated and get paid for it and that if we don't he resorts to the deragatory comments. It works both ways, I don't think the people attacking him are in the right either.

BTW- I love the Godfather and many of those classic movies too.

11. Kapit

Kapit Badass?

Why do we listen to the President, then? He's educated, he gets paid to run the country. If you don't like his opinions, you're free to go somewhere else, but the overwhelming majority go with it because he's the authority figure, and he (in theory) knows better than us.

12. Satomiblood

But what about those of us that have enjoyed ROTF and also happened to enjoy Taxi Driver, 2001, and other classics?

I'm guessing there's no room for middle men here.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Who cares about Ebert's opinion? Who cares about AZA2's opinion? I have my own brain and can make decisions for myself. I'm going back to bed.

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    14 posts in and we're in total agreement so far, m'man.

15. AZA2

AZA2 Autobot

So whoever doesn't listen to or agree the President needs to take a hike? Thanks for proving my point KAPIT. We are also free to elect a new one when the time comes. Presidents are elected, film critics are not.

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Okay, so we agreed on 13 out of 14.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't think he meant evolved as human being, but as film viewers.

But seriously, movies aren't everything to everyone. To him, maybe, but it's his job, one that he gets paid for.

18. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Mr. Ebert is trying to save the reputation of his comrades who had severely lash out to the film and had suffered a serious backlash in terms of the historic divide between the movie audience and film critics :rolleyes2  been Tfs 2 probably their worst humiliation in reviewing it negatively and the publics' positive approval.

I consider him as one of the worst in the business cause he was among those that enjoy the 1998 Tristar flop of Godzilla and the 2003 mother of all flops Gigli(with Ben & J-lo)

Do we really care what Lard-ass...... ajum !! Excuse me !!!

Do we really care what Mr. Ebert sez these days?? Dude is overrated :rolleyes2 

I think he didn't liked the first TFs film(correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't think he has been much of a fan of the Michael Bay films in terms of style !!

He has his opinion, we have our !! But a word of advice :

Don't bother the movie audience, please, Is the worst thing any movie critic can do !!! We have more brain cells than you and your kin combine!!

19. Satomiblood

He actually liked the the first TF movie.

20. Kapit

Kapit Badass?

You're twisting my words. I didn't say they NEED to leave the country, they're FREE to leave. There is a huge difference between the two words.

So don't listen to the film critic. Unfortunately, by ignoring Ebert, we get "critics" like Ben Lyons who do nothing but pander to whoever takes a picture with him.