Those inaccuracies...hahaha!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Spoiler, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    What?

300 was inaccurate?
    You mean Xerxes wasn't 10 feet tall, rhinos weren't the size of buses, and the world wasn't sepia hued back then?

Darn, I used to like that movie.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

300 really shouldn't be on the list as it is an adaptation of a comic book, and not at all based on the historic events of the time.

The historical inaccuracies in "Braveheart" are inexcusable though, considering the true events of Wallaces life are actually far more engaging and exciting than the pile of crap Gibson put on screen.

4. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Why the hell is The Matrix on there?

Reminds me of when my high school physics teacher used Episode 1 to point out all the things wrong with the physics... no shit.

I think scientists get offended and outraged when people have any sense of imagination and they need to prove everything wrong :p 

5. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    if Matrix in the list then Sunshine should be in it too.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    My understanding of 300 was that it was not meant to be an accurate retelling of the Battle of Thermopolye, but rather it being relaid as a story by Dilios to his me at Platea to get them in the mindset for war with the Persians.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No doubt.
    I especially hate it when people argue against the science of Star Wars for two reasons.

1. I love Star Wars and find it barbaric and ignoble to find fault in it. :) 
    2. With the exception of midi-chlorians Lucas does very little to explain the science behind Star Wars. There may be the occasional blurb about giving the "navi-computer" time to compute a jump to hyperspace or whatever, but the physical manner in which the technology operates is never explained.

That's one way to look at it.
    It's just a historical fantasy -that's it.
    It never was intended to be an accurate retelling.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, what garbage.

2001 was inaccurate? Really? A movie filmed in 1968 didn't nail the year 2001 down accurately?

Give me a break.

9. Random Autobot

I think you missed his sarcasm on that last one. he was basically throwing it in there to make a joke about how much cooler their vision of 2001 was than the reality of the year.

10. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm in the camp that likes to brand Star Wars as having one foot in sci-fi, the other in fantasy.

It has a lot of fanciful technology and creatures like the Gungan City for example (i know everyone hates Gungans but bear with) that defy logic and explanation.

Even worse are those History Channel specials where they compare things in Star Wars to things in real life that aren't really the same in order to point out how unrealistic Star Wars is. Like comparing a lightsaber to a surgical laser or flashlight and going "LOL LIGHT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY I'M A PHD."

But they fail to realize that it isn't even trying to be the same thing. It could be made out of fairy tears for all we know. (I know about the crystal technology, but still, the beam itself is magic.)

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you say so.

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    All Yahoo website articles are just as useless and a waste of space. Tabloid material.

13. Random Autobot

Seems pretty obvious to me.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use Yahoo as my homepage to quick scan AP headlines.
    who gives a rat's ass what Brooke Hogan thinks? tabloid crap.

My favorite author and curmudgeon Harlan Ellison once said that Star Wars sucked and didn't like it because it was unrealistic. His example was, "there is no sound in space, so you shouldn't hear laser blasts."
    I think he wasn't separating hard sci-fi from fantasy sci-fi.
    i don't mind science fiction movies that fudge the science to a degree, as long as it doesn't insult me with a ridiculous idea at the end. SW tech was okay in its place (why nitpick the tech when you got Jedi juggling x-wings and force choking each other?) until Lucas threw in Jedi Biology. The Force was vague enough, it was a Deus Ex Machina that worked. Now we got mystic amoeba picking the One? ugh.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    And boy, did they ever drop the ball on that one. Maybe thats why these 'midichlorians' never made it into the original movies. The surviving Jedi knew what happened last time total trust was placed in the vessel of such a high number of them and thought 'bother this nonsense'.

16. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Sometimes it is best just to say...."IT IS A MOVIE!"

It is funny how someone goes and overanalyzes movies and go toward saying stuff like this...I mean, that is like saying, "those X-wings in Star Wars couldn't of made those manuevers without some sort of trusters on the ship. The engines on the back alone could not do that..." No one really cares...it is a movie meant to provide entertainment.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    In movies like Star Wars, its never an issue because I'm not scientifically versed enough to even tell what would work and what would not.

It starts whiddling on our chips however, when a movie made to depict a real event, ie Braveheart, is the rearranged, modified or even adds blatently false material.

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. People sure seem to be taking these articles seriously.:confused2 

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't understand why The Matrix has to be in there. Every physics-defying move that takes place in the Matrix makes perfect sense from an in-universe perspective - it's a virtual world, where rules can be bent and broken.