"Those are my mortgage Transformers."

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jtscribe, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Just had a short conversation with my wife as I opened up some of the Alts I've gotten. She jokingly asked if I was going to trade her in as well when I get done "landscaping" my collection. I thought about it for a second and said, nope, you're just like my mortgage Transformers. IE, the ones I won't sell unless I can't make my house payment. Mine are:

FP Bruticus
    MP Grimlock
    FP City Commander
    G1 Jetfire (my grandparents got it for me for Christmas almost 30 years ago.)
    Universe Inferno & Grapple (these are very special because Inferno was the first Transformer I bought my son because he wanted a fire truck, and Grapple was the first one he asked me to get him.)

So . . . what are your "mortgage Transformers"?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If I need the money for something truly important, nothing is safe. So, everything in my collection.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed BUT just to play along...

My Beast Wars figures
    G1 Trypticon
    G1 Optimus Prime
    MP-10
    MP-08 Grimlock

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Mine would be....

ROTF Leader Optimus Prime. (My wife bought him for me for Father's Day just before the movie came out. It got me started collecting again.)
    Battle Ops Bumblebee & HA Jazz. (Christmas gifts from my brother.)
    ROTF Voyage Ironhide. (I hated his color scheme so I repainted him. He was my first custom.)
    DOTM Leader Ironhide. (I just love the figure too much.)
    Custom Actionmaster Snarl by Sculpt-Bot. (Another Christmas gift.)

I think that's it.

5. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This would be so difficult, but to play along as well...

G1 collection
    Beast Wars
    All my Optimus Primes, Primals, and Megatrons
    TFC Hercules
    FP Bruticus

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

All my G1's.

Everything else has it's price.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    There are only a few that I would absolutely hate to part with due to sentimental value (i.e. very hard not to say nah fuck the house I'm keeping these)

Sealed G1 Pepsi Optimus Prime signed by Peter Cullen
    Signed US MP Prime also signed by Peter Cullen.
    MIB G1 Fortress Maximus
    G1 Devastator Giftset
    City Commander - First TF Gift from my wife

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    All of em. I'd be that one homeless dude walking around with a cart full of toys instead of a cart full of shoes.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Being the ripe old age of 15, I obviously have no mortgage. But I'll play along:

The only thing I would hesitate selling are eight things:
    Dualor.
    Buzzsaw.
    And Drill bit. The "Road Wrecker" Minicon set. They were my first three transformers, and thus hold a special place in my heart. Plus, they aren't worth much, so it wouldn't be hurting me to keep them as mementos.
    And Amazon Unicron... Armada Unicron was the first Transformer I ever bought with my own money. My Grandmother would periodically send me ten dollars. I decided to put Unicron on Layaway. My parents sorted it out for me, and I would give them what money I had to put into the Unicron fund. Within the next few months, I had that beauty in my chubby little five year old hands. I couldn't Transform him for nothing, though. But I loved the robot mode so much I didn't care. I would line my minicons along his wings, and fire his chest missile at Demolisher and Batman. I loved the damn thing. Over time, his missiles got lost. And then one rough play session broke one of his skeleton wings. And then his shoulder horns broke. And his joints wore out. But although he couldn't be played with, I kept his degrading corpse around. But about a year ago, I did one of the few things I've done in the past that I'm ashamed of... I got into a little customizing kick. I pestered my parents into buying me a dremel, and I started customizing. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is where I saw (one of the many...) Combiner customs on the forum that used Unicron pieces. So I took it upon myself to COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE my Unicron. Needless to say, I took absolutely no notice on what went where or how. So, I wound up with a dismembered Unicron that I had absolutely no fucking clue how to put back together. I threw his parts in a box and hung my head. I had just destroyed a memory of my childhood without thinking. But I did keep his parts. One day I'll get back on a kick and use those parts for good cause, but until then, I have a good replacement. I bought Amazon Unicron in a heartbeat when I saw him go up online. That is a purchase I will never regret. It's both nostalgiac for me, symbolizing my growth from "child who played a toy to death" to "collector who will make certain no harm comes to this toy". If I had to sell my Amazon Unicron, it would be a sad day indeed.
    An honorable mention is my Yellow Build Team. (RID Landfill.. I think he was a walmart exclusive gift set or somethin.) My mother bought him for me when I was a lad. Holds nostalgiac value. I recall a little thing my parents and I did. If I had a good obedient streak, where I did what I was told, then they would pay me back with Transformers or whatever other toys I was interested in. I remember vividly the day they went to their closet and pulled out this MASSIVE box. Seriously, to a little kid it was huge. (the giftset I'm talking about had the four members all lined up in a row, so it was like two feet long going horizontally.) I looked inside the window of the box and there standing are FOUR new toys! That's exciting enough, and then I read again, and they ALL COMBINE. This is the four year old equivalent of seeing like, God or something. It was insane. I thanked my parents and then destroyed that frigging box, getting to the contents as fast as humanly possible. All four figures in that box are awesome, no doubt about it, (Except for Grimlock. Grimlock is weird.) I could transform them all seperately. But (much like Unicron) I could not transform them to their combined mode for crap. It confused me like nothing else. It wasn't until like, eight years later that I accomplished ONE of their combined forms. But yeah, good times. Hightower is broken now, though, The peg on his little cockpit whatever is broken, so he can't stay in any other form except robot. And I lost his pistol years ago. I've gotta get those guys again. But maybe in their original color scheme.

Found pictures BTW:
    [​IMG] (Thanks TFW Resources!)
    Search Results - TFW2005
    [​IMG]

I would also be very hardpressed to sell my Classics stuff. But I would let go of it far faster then the above mentioned.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Just the original stuff from my childhood (G1). Outside of that, the last two to go would be
    MPs
    Classic/3rd Party

All the rest are free game. Thankfully I have not run into any major financial problems. Just want to build up the umbrella now, so when it does rain, I will atleast have some protection.

11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    This is funny. Id have to say mine would be my;
    Takara Book style TFC collection
    Henkies
    an ( if really desperate ) FP Bruticus.

An id probably cry like a 2 year old once they were sold an gone

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I sense that all of you misunderstood the question.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ..but there are some things money can't buy...but when everything else fails, there's always my collection of G1 Japanese Transformers (all 20 of them) worth approx $10K. ;p

Overlord, Victory Saber, Raiden, Liokaiser, Predaking Giftset, and Deathzarus are the one's Id be expected to be paid top dollars for. :D 

14. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I live in a barracks room, so technically I could be considered exempt. But should I ever have to the last to go would be the following:

G2 Megatron given as a christmas present from my grandparents when G2 started
    G1 Megatron also from the g'parents when I started collecting about 10 years after G2
    G1 Hot Rod (same as G1 Megs above)

Anything else I'd be hard pressed to sell, but those three would be the absolute last to go.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I would sell my Firebird before my Transformers, hell, I've only driven it four months out of the last twelve. Petrol in the UK is at a crazy high!
    I already sold off all my Bowen Marvel statues, DC statues, and expensive comic-book Hardcovers and 2 Star Wars collections. I have about 3-400 Transformers sitting in my stock boxes for when I trade at shows.
    But theoretically, mortgage Transformers? Black Tracks, Fort Max, E-hobby Astrotrain, Brave Max, Black Amazon.co.jp ROTF Prime, Dinoking, Henkei Wildrider, SG Roddy.

16. DC2k5

DC2k5 Well-Known Member

My 'never sell unless losing house / family crisis' are

• MP1 with MP4 trailer and TFC Battle Roller
    • MP1-B with Igear anime head and shapeways Decepticon shoulder symbol
    • MP2 with Marksproject add on Magnus armor
    • MP3 US with coronation add on
    • MP5 with Justitoys add on silencer and stock
    • MP6
    • MP7
    • MP8 with Igear crown
    • MP9
    • Igear MP Thrust, Ramjet, Dirge, Acidstorm, Sunstorm

17. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I don't know, some of the people had the kind of sentimentality (gifts from loved ones, etc.) that I was talking about.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    That's kinda the point. He's asking what TF's you'll hang onto unless you absolutely HAVE to sell. For you know, something really important that comes up ( like making the mortgage ).

For me, it's my G1's. They'll be the last to go. Out of those, my purple reissue Galvatron and Powermaster Optimus Prime would be the very last to go. Just after my G1 Prime and Soundwave.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lots of the toys I have the strongest attachments to don't necessarily have a high resale value, so that probably works out for me. :) 

20. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Most of my stuff really aren't heavy cash hitters but:
    FP Protector with Henkei Hot rod
    Classics Prowl
    Classics Hound
    My entire seeker collection (Scream, Dirge,Cracker,Thrust,Ramjet,Acid Storm,Skywarp)

I hope this DOESN'T happen, because I would never start over