This Week in Civil War *spoilers, natch*

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Chrono Grimlock, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Amazing Spider-Man 537 - Very ho hum issue. Nothing big happened. Til the end of course. Seems we're getting the black costume set up starting this issue.

Frontline 10 - Also very ho hum. Nothing but hte reveal of Penance. And after last issue, we all saw it coming. They set up who caused the Civil War, but that reveal is next issue.

Punisher War Journal 2 - Fairly good issue. Loved Frank and Cap interacting. But the end was a let down, saw it coming but it tied directly into...

Civil War 6 - Really slow issue. Namor was in it... for a page or so. and it was nothing like hte Namor in Black Panther, Wolverine and the Winter Soilder one shot. He didn't care about the war at all, unlike all his previous 'war appearences'. Then we get the ending of the Punisher issue mirror here and the aftermath which is followed by the show down. Slow issue til the end. They reveal that there is a raitor on Tony's team, and it ain't Reed. then the Anti Reg heroes finally catch a break. Loved the end. Really loved it. Very slow issue, but the last three pages made up for it.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the way they are handling Punisher in the CW book is really lame. So I guess he has to sit out the big battle now. Also they show Punisher being non-lethal all issue long in War Journal then at the end he all of a sudden decides to betray Cap and get Lethal again? Didn't make much sense. Frontline was majorly depressing. What happened wasn't really Baldwin's fault, now he has to pay penance? Penance sucks. Also I guess we now know how Quesada is going to deal with the Peter / MJ situation. :( 

Can't wait for the big CW throwdown in Part 7.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    haven't picked it up yet, but I will say this.
    If Frank Castle is invloved, "heroes" should be dying.

4. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this issue of CW a lot more than the past couple, but man, that bit with the Punisher randomly shooting the two goons was dumb as hell.

5. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    It's not random at all, it's explained in Punisher.

6. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

How is spidey getting the black costume again?

7. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Mj gets the ax, well, bullet

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At the end of ASM 537 a sniper, hired by the Kingpin, is aiming his rifle at Aunt May and Mary Jane. One or both of them will probably be killed and Peter will take up the Black suit to represent his mourning and depression. (maybe)

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I actually enjoyed the Punisher issue more than this issue of Civil War, which was just basically a lead up to the final fight. Hmmm, I wonder if Tony will use his other "backup heroes."

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

but we all know that the person(s) getting killed will be back...and when she/they do, it'll be back to the Original suit for Peter.

And who is Penance (though i think i already know who it is)?

11. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Speedball. Terrible set up. He didn't cause those deaths... : (

12. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

And what was the deal with the reporters? It felt more like page filler then anything else.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    At this point it looks like again Marvel isn't prepared for the aftermath of their main mini series. And are once again trying to tread on ground they already went over. Both Mary Jane and Aunt May were killed before and the reader backlash was bad then too. So they were brought back. So now having not learned their lesson Marvel intends to do it again.
    Peter doesn't need to be single to get young readers. He just has to be written well.

14. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Spider-Man's book as been the best it's ever been in the last 6 years. I don't they're trying to get new readers at all; I think it's more of trying new things and taking the entire universe in a new direction. Might not work out, but I hated Peter doing the ID reveal, but it turned really good from a story perspective.

The entire series is about repaorters. The hero stuff is just filler. Every issue in this books deals with the two reporters and Speed ball.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speedball's transformation into Penance (Captain Bondage Emo!) would've been great if not for, you know, the deaths NOT BEING HIS FAULT. Seriously, this is what 9 issues of him being kicked around led up to?

"...omg I DID DO IT and now I cut myself!"

Ehh. CW #6 was pretty fun in setting up the big schmozz, though I believe this places it prior to Frontline #10 given the two Typeface appearances.

As for Frank Castle, I don't mind his portrayal that much. Apparently this is along the lines of his Marvel Knights series or something. He's being written as a little delusionally nuts. Either that or his grand plan is to snap everyone out of it by killing C-list villains. :lol 

Not liking what is apparently gonna happen in Spider-man, though.

16. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Neither am I. I hated the id reveal when they did it, but I will admit that some good stories came out of it. If they kill MJ, that might be too much for me. I mean c'mon, both loves of Peter's lives getting killed off? Talk about been there, done that.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you guys...I mean what's the point of killing either Aunt May or MJ again? Sigh...anyway, kind of disappointed that the Punisher has to miss the big battle but I guess, he had too because of his...er, killing habits.

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Penance's identity was told, but did they say how he got his new powers (or is it just him hurting himself)

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...there appears to be a shortage of the latest issue of CW in Asia...is the States facing such a situation?

20. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Seems so; well in Canada at least. I go two comics stores and only 1 had civil war comics. Might have been a sell out, or not. Who knows. Not me for sure. All I'm saying is that there were less books.