This Series Jumping Into The Mythology Too Fast

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I think this series is jumping into the mythology too fast without much of a leadup into it. The last episode was good, but....

Do they have to introduce Unicron this fast? And there was no buildup to it. The Autobots didn't discuss it nor was there any hint or buildup given to the alignment of the spheres or Unicron prior to this episode. They just had a bunch of filler episodes focusing on Miko and Jack and then all of a sudden this. I don't think this is good writing nor a good plan. And if you introduce the big bad too soon, what do you do when he's gone? Can the show continue to hold interest or will it die very quickly?

2. bio9205

bio9205 Knocked Out

Who said they were going to introduce Unicron so soon? No one said so.

3. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well it looks like they are from the last episode. I think if they wanted a big bad threatening the Earth other than the Decepticons, they should have just had some nasty alien race threaten to invade Earth. The Bots can fight this race during the second season and save Unicron for later.

4. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I agree completely. I made a similar post in the discussion thread. It would have been nice if we had gotten hints towards this episode, we had a good plot with with the SynthEn going, and then all of a sudden we get
    Unicron (or some other powerful bad guy).
    The episode seems more llike it was meant for the beginning of season 2

5. bio9205

bio9205 Knocked Out

Well you never know, I highly doubt they'll be introducing Unicron that fast.

Plus, it's the season finale. It's supposed to be epic.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Synth En or some MECH threat would have been just fine.

7. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    We've known about the teaser trailer for weeks now. Is this really that surprising? Also who says synthetic energon won't get involved. Knockout is working on the stuff and he doesn't seem to particularly like what Megatron is up to.

Why not both? Really we still have 3 parts left and look at what managed to happen in one episode. I think we have plenty of time to get them involved.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unicron was introuced in the first episode when his blood was mentioned. That was 22 episodes ago. This is anything but too fast. If this was the first time we heard of it I would agree, but the show hinted at Unicron since the start, heck, we even had Megatron saying that he could hear his thoughts in the past.

And I disagree, Synth En and Mech wouldn't be good enough season finales, they're great for in-season storylets but a finale is a finale and we need something big for that. I mean just look at the word "finale", it even SOUNDS epic!

9. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Unicron was mentioned. Hinted. Not introduced. The problem I see with this series is that the big bad is being introduced too soon. What happens when there is no more big bad? I think it's best to take it slow and understand that the journey is more important than the destination.

I think the Synth En would have made a fine plot for the season finale. The first season does not necessarily have to have such an epic fire reigning from the sky finale. That should be saved for second and third season.

10. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Good point, it'd be interesting if Knockout took the formula and went against Megatron, though I doubt that'll happen. But if he does stay, I don't see what use Megatron would want of it if he does have
    Unicron, and lots of dark energon from that volcano which he could use for another zombie army
    on his side. Maybe SythEn will be saved for series 2

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who said Unicron is the big bad though? Who said they can't top Unicron? Look at Marvel comics, we have villains that are gigantic cosmic threats, but we also have human sized villains that manage to deliver more intense adventures than the big threats.

Unicron could just be an influence for Season 1, only showing up personally later. Look at Palpatine in Star Wars. He was in the first and second movie as a background power, he only came to light later on in movie 3.

It's not too fast, it is definetely not going too fast here. Maybe for Transformers fans that are used to Unicron being a final threat it is but looking at every other show ever, villains like him CAN be introduced early without being hard to top. Specially if they're not in their fullest when their first appear.

And considering Dark Energon is his blood and things don't bleed unless they're hurt, I would say it will be a while before we see Unicron in person or in full power.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Since they called dark energon "the blood of Unicron" early on fans have been speculating if Unicron was an actual character or just a mythical being. Fans have also been wondering if Unicorn would show up since his name was mentioned so it doesn't feel like it was just sprung on us out of the blue.

As to if it's too soon that is a darn good question that I don't have an answer for yet.

13. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    My personal wish is that Knockout makes a deal with MECH. He gives them information on Transformer biology(since he's a doctor) and SynthEn power their creations. In return he has project Chimera and their soldiers at his disposal and is given protection from Megatron.

Why does Unicron have to be beaten early on? For all we know he could be a constant threat throughout the second season while other things happen, only for the third season to be about stopping him.

14. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well for all those who think Unicron showing up so early is fine, I think episode 23 should have been for the middle of season 2 at least.

15. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Then you are clearly in the minority. Seriously a few weeks ago we had people moaning about how this show is boring and nothing exciting is happening.

I personally didn't care but I won't say I'm not excited now that the big stuff is going down.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All this assumes that Unicron will actually be appearing and doing something, and not just be a dark presence sometimes hovering on the edges of Megatron's thoughts. My bet's on the latter.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I do agree it is jumping too fast, If it is Unicron.....I would have waited around Season 3 or 4 to bring him in.

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Not really. I can see how it could seem rather jarring to some, but it didn't bother me at all. Besides, who says Unicron has to die/be defeated forever at the end of this season? It's totally possible that he doesn't actually show up, or he is simply beaten and returns later on.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    That's kinda what I'm hoping happens.

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    To be fair, it doesn't appear that they're treating Unicron as a character, but rather as a mythological/religious figure. Replace "Unicron" with "Satan" throughout the entire show, and you'll be able to see it in better perspective. If they are planning on bringing him in as a character, I trust them to be able to do it right. I am hoping that the face seen indicates that Megatronus "The Fallen" Prime is buried deep within the crevices of Earth. You could still have a big bad, save the actual Unicron for later, AND keep the connection to Unicron intact.

While I'm not holding my breath for Megatronus, it really could be just as simple as "there's a buttload of Dark Energon here". Either way, the writers penned out the (general) plan for three seasons; even if they are doing Unicron now, I'm sure they've planned for things BIGGER than 'em later down the line.