This series doesn’t use appropriate names

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by QLRformer, May 25, 2015.

1. SerBuckman

SerBuckman Autobot, Lord Inquisitor of the Ordo Decepticonus

Yes! Let the Rule of Cool triumph over things making sense!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

Is Glowstrike really any more ridiculous than names like Skywarp, Thundercracker or even Starscream? They're both combinations of two different words that usually aren't linked together. TF has had names like than since G1 - in 1984 alone we had Starscream, Ironhide, Sunstreaker, Skywarp, Cliffjumper, Thundercracker, Laserbeak, Windcharger, Trailbreaker and Wheeljack, and other major G1 names like Powerglide, Mixmaster, Jetfire, Motormaster, Wildrider, Ramhorn, Steeljaw, Fireflight, Silverbolt, Razorclaw, Bonecrusher and Grimlock do the same thing.

Point is, TF's been doing what I like to call "Treespeak" (Bionicle reference) since the beginning of the franchise.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Kind of. I mean, of those three Thundercracker makes the most sense. Two words for sounds together describe his loud jets. Skywarp, aside from the obvious reference to his teleportation, basically just means "up in the air and moving between two points quickly." Again, fits a jet or anything fast and flying. Starscream is more abstract, but again you could equate star with high in the sky and scream with the sound of jets. And of course his high voice. It helps that it's a more unique name.

Glowstrike, though? I'm trying to think how that could conjure much fitting imagery. Really it makes me think of an angler fish. Those two words don't feel like complementary descriptors, especially since "strike" is such a common term and name in itself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

True, those names are evocative of their alt-mode. Glowstrike probably got her name because she's a firefly and they couldn't think of anything that sounded "cooler" than "strike." Maybe they should have given her something fancier to fit her leadership position, like "Luminescia" or some play on bioluminescence.

Aaaaaaand now I want an angler fish Decepticon. Especially if it's a female, just to be scientifically accurate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

This is honestly one of the funniest things I've read all week.

Like, have you SEEN Strongarm? The name fits her perfectly.

The difference is that 'Slag' is banned in the english dub in general. The English dub has no bearing on the Japanese dub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

To be honest, "Strongarm" hoesn't seem that "strong" (not even her arm)... Well, she's neither a "good" cadet, nor a medicore soldier. From what I´ve seen in RID, a more appropirate name would be "Biased Nitpicker".

• Like Like x 1