This series doesn’t use appropriate names

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by QLRformer, May 25, 2015.

1. SerBuckman

SerBuckman DIRECT RULE FROM CYBERTRON

Yes! Let the Rule of Cool triumph over things making sense!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

Is Glowstrike really any more ridiculous than names like Skywarp, Thundercracker or even Starscream? They're both combinations of two different words that usually aren't linked together. TF has had names like than since G1 - in 1984 alone we had Starscream, Ironhide, Sunstreaker, Skywarp, Cliffjumper, Thundercracker, Laserbeak, Windcharger, Trailbreaker and Wheeljack, and other major G1 names like Powerglide, Mixmaster, Jetfire, Motormaster, Wildrider, Ramhorn, Steeljaw, Fireflight, Silverbolt, Razorclaw, Bonecrusher and Grimlock do the same thing.

Point is, TF's been doing what I like to call "Treespeak" (Bionicle reference) since the beginning of the franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Kind of. I mean, of those three Thundercracker makes the most sense. Two words for sounds together describe his loud jets. Skywarp, aside from the obvious reference to his teleportation, basically just means "up in the air and moving between two points quickly." Again, fits a jet or anything fast and flying. Starscream is more abstract, but again you could equate star with high in the sky and scream with the sound of jets. And of course his high voice. It helps that it's a more unique name.

Glowstrike, though? I'm trying to think how that could conjure much fitting imagery. Really it makes me think of an angler fish. Those two words don't feel like complementary descriptors, especially since "strike" is such a common term and name in itself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spin-Out

True, those names are evocative of their alt-mode. Glowstrike probably got her name because she's a firefly and they couldn't think of anything that sounded "cooler" than "strike." Maybe they should have given her something fancier to fit her leadership position, like "Luminescia" or some play on bioluminescence.

Aaaaaaand now I want an angler fish Decepticon. Especially if it's a female, just to be scientifically accurate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

This is honestly one of the funniest things I've read all week.

Like, have you SEEN Strongarm? The name fits her perfectly.

The difference is that 'Slag' is banned in the english dub in general. The English dub has no bearing on the Japanese dub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

To be honest, "Strongarm" hoesn't seem that "strong" (not even her arm)... Well, she's neither a "good" cadet, nor a medicore soldier. From what I´ve seen in RID, a more appropirate name would be "Biased Nitpicker".

• Like Like x 1
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    We recently had a new Transformer introduced called Stardrive. That IMO is a good example of a TF name created that fits its character well.

There are names mentioned on TFWiki that could have worked out: Spacewarp, Star Burst, Transwarp. But Stardrive makes a good name that can stand alongside those.

8. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    She's a cop....it's a pun on Long arm of the law.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

Holy fuck, that would've been great. I would've loved an arc where Cloudraker visits for a bit, and maybe get a modified Sideswipe figure that turns into a jet.

10. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    I'm fine with the names. I think they suit their characters well enough.

They're also called lightning bugs. They glow and flicker. Lightning bug, lightning strike, hence Glowstrike. And I am forever disappointed that she has no toy because she's seriously cool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    "Strongarm" also refers to strong-arming someone into doing something against their will, which could be seen as enforcing the law/arresting people, in addition to the aformentioned "long arm of the law" pun.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Spin-Out

Plus, she's a lot bulkier than your usual fembot. Bulkiness is generally associated with strength in TFs, even though Strongarm has relatively average strength because Big Grim is the designated hitter.

Also, I share her "bias" against Sideswipe. He's the only character in the show I don't like because he's an obnoxious prick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sidesprey

Sidesprey In a Nutshell

News Credits:
    Well don't let me get started on Bluster and Firster Aid.