This series doesn’t use appropriate names

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by QLRformer, May 25, 2015.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Fireflight would have worked out. Or Firebug. Or anyone in this list:
    All pages with prefix - Transformers Wiki

Yeah, why not use Spinister or even go back to Blackarachnia?

I found Bisk to be rather creative, but Ped was a bit of a letdown.

Well, I'm not the only one who feels that way thankfully. The word "inappropriate" was probably a bit strong though.

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Fireflight or Firebug is Airachnid level of trite obvious for a lightbug character. It would be as lacking in imagination and creativity as calling a Seeker, dunno, "Jetwing".

Fireflight/Firefly is also a G1 name for an Aerialbot, already in Combiner Wars line. Can't put another Deluxe with the same name on same shelves.

Glowstrike's fine. You don't like it, but a private dislike isn't making it any less appropriate.

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And really, new names are much better than reusing old names.

Does anyone? That's like trying to make the G1 Marvel comics share the same continuity with the G1 cartoon. Just don't do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GrimlockPrimal

GrimlockPrimal Mini-Dino

...You don't know shit about Japanese, do you?
    Pedophile in Japanese is "小児愛者" (Shōniaisha).
    Ped's Japanese name is "ペッド" (Peddo).

PED'S JAPANESE NAME DOES NOT MEAN PEDOPHILE.

Jesus, how dense are you? If they really wanted the pedophile connection, they'd have named him "Pedo" in the West, not "Ped".
    You know, "Ped" is a term that can be used to describe, oh, soil aggregates? I find it a lot more believable they used that definition, rather than intentionally trying to name a character after the sexual abuse of a child.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

It does say more about SaberPrime then Hasbro.

6. Furnace

Furnace The original Starscream

For the most part, don't mind the names. I do think some of them could be improved, though. *cough* Glowstrike *cough*

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Had to come back to this... because Twinferno, a name given to a double-headed dragon, is now given to a Bisk repaint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. BT383

BT383 Malignus

News Credits:
    That's Thermidor. RID Twinferno's like a two-headed dragon/jet thing.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, Hasbro mislabelled the stock photos.

• Like Like x 2
  10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is RID15 Twinferno, in all his G1ness.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I have to agree there. I've grown to accept those names for those characters, but they really don't fit.
    Why not Steeljaw? His his jaw not made of steel?
    Sideswipe suits him fine, he's a cocky rulebreaker. Wasn't that along the lines of Sideswipe's G1 toy bio?
    Strongarm isn't supposed to be sexy. She's supposed to be a by-the-book Autobot Elite Guard trainee who takes things too seriously. Why can't a woman have a name implying strength?
    I dunno. Maybe he strikes like a hammer? Besides, Sharkticon is what he is. It'd be like calling your neighbor "Human". It'd be awkward.
    Yes, he could have, but is Terrashock really a bad name? His feet send shockwaves through the terrain.
    Fracture also implies separation or breaking. Besides, there can be other bounty hunters besides Lockdown.
    I don't know. The name could have worked for a shuriken Mini-Con, though.

Okay. I also agree those names suit the characters.
    I'm satisfied with the names they've been given. No offense, but some of these reasons you list for not liking a name baffle me. Strongarm's a bad name because you think it's not sexy enough? What?

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Transformers needs more ridiculous, out-of-the-box designs like this.

We're too bogged down in normal cars and jets.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup. That design is strutting up and down the right side of totally fucking stupid and is all the better for it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

You just said his Japanese name is Peddo which is what I was commenting on in the fist place. Shoniaisha is not even an English word so the translation of the Japanese text into the English alphabet means nothing. You then said if they wanted to make that connection they would have named him Peddo which is what they named him so your argument just confirms what I said in the first place. Except that I was talking about Takara while you're talking about Hasbro.

15. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

Japanese letters (Kanji) are syllables and usually end with a vocal. Ped ends with an "d" so they have to ad something in order to spell it and pronounce it more easily.

Also Shōniaisha is romaji (roman letters). It is the japanese word for pedophile as the other coment said.

16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but I try not to let that bug me too much.

I've gotten used to it.

17. SaberPrime

You seem to be missing the point I was trying to make though. We can't use the name Slag because of what it means in another country even though to us it has a totally different meaning.

Yet some how Japan is able to use the name Peddo which has a different meaning to them but to us Peddo is short for Peddofile.

Basically I never claimed that it means pedopile in Japanese I said that's what it means in English. It really shouldn't matter because that's not his English name but then again Slag shouldn't matter either because they could use a different name in the UK but keep Slag in the US. The only difference is that unlike Japan we're both English speaking countries but that hasn't stopped other Transformers from being given different names so why should their foul language be able to censor Slag outside of their own country?

18. Wild Eevee

Wild Eevee Well-Known Member

Hammerstrike is so named because he is a hammerhead shark.

19. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

His name is Ped. Spoken in Japanese they say 'peddo'. Stop trying to make it something it isn't.

The Japanese pronounce the English word 'ring' as 'ringu'. That doesn't mean they're refering to Ringo Starr.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SaberPrime

The thing is though I'm not. Again you're missing the point of that post. I was com pairing (really tablet you think that should be two words?) It to the fact we can't have Slag anymore. You keep ignoring that part and focusing on the Peddo thing. I actually agree with you that it's stupid to think anything of it but if Slag gets banned in the US because of what it means in another country then Peddo shouldn't be allowed either. It doesn't matter what it means in Japan, at least according to Slag logic.

In short I was trying to point out how stupid it is to ban Slag in the US when it has no bad meaning here. Just like Peddo doesn't mean anything bad in Japan they get to use it despite what Americans might think. Again I think probably the only reason they get away with Peddo while we have to change Slag is because the Slag issue is in another English speaking country. That's a lot of work just to change one name but I don't really remember it ever being spoken outside of G1 so it's really only on the toys that would need the name changed on the packaging. To me he will always be Slag unless I ever actually go to the UK then I'll call him Slug over there.

• Like Like x 1