This Series Biggest Flaw.

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

2. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep

3. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

The only thing that could save this series is if Starscream reverts back to his leader self and not the pathetic rogue we've become accustomed to lately.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

That would help a lot for me too. Starscreams awesomeness was always a delicate thing to me. I want a genius character who kicks ass. Starscream never could kick ass but was in a position were he didn't need to. Now he is and his entire screen time is just getting beat up. I wish they would beat up and fire the guy who decided to give this story arc to Starscream.

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    wow, this thread actually make good, fucking sense! great sensible post to a discussion on TF: Prime, guys! :thumb : also, couldn't agree more about SW's role/ he kill u without u noticing! :eek: 

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to agree the show has been doing great at the introduction of characters but there seems to be a drop off after that introduction. All the elements of greatness are still there, but for whatever reason the writers don't always exploit all that potential.

Vehicons started out as potentially deadly in small groups but now even if the odds were 100 to 1 any of the Autobots could come out with an easy win. Starscream starts out by killing Cliffjumper but lately he's had to drag himself begging and pleading to the Autobots because he can't get any wins in. Even poor poor Waspinator could get a win every now and then.

Even with Soundwave I'm loving the silent baddest bot in the universe Boba Fett thing he's got going on but once in a while you just want to see a bit of action to back up that bad ass vibe.

Don't take this as bashing the show because I watch every week. But it does feel like the show has so much more going for it than they give us each week. Some weeks it feels like being in a Ferrari on the autobahn and only doing 25 mph.

7. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

My thoughts also.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Rational discourse. Let's not wish physical harm on the writers.

I don't agree. I believe that Starscream's characterization is believable, and he is only in power when all of his schemes are working perfectly. Once his structure collapses, he's a sniveling wimp. However, he is smart, and resourceful. He'll get back on top.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This all the way. I think the way the show does it's characters and storys are great. All it needs to do is to sort out some small kinks and it'll be just as good if not better then Beast Wars and Animated.

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Starscream was always pathetic. With that design I've never been able to take him seriously as a villain. He's like a noisy cricket, sure he killed Cliffjumper but I feel like I'm going to break this damn thing. Literally I refuse to pick up his toy even if I liked him as a character because it looks like it could be easily broken with how freaking skinny it is.

You seem to have Megatron backwards. In season 1 when he was on Dark Energon he was a freaking lunatic. Even when he was being smart he almost never spoke without shouting half his lines for no apparent reason other than because he's freaking Megatron.

Season 2 Megatron is the one who has actually shown signs of calm cunning intelligence... except when he was fighting the Insecticon then he started going crazy again.

Well there was a time I would have agreed with you... before he opened a Ground Bridge and sent Arcee into the arctic. At that point I realized just how much of a bad ass Soundwave really was. He may not contribute much of anything but there are little moments that people really seem to like.

Again, you have you totally backwards. Arcee actually had character development. It hasn't been ignored in season 2, it was ignored for all of one episode and I hope they never do that again.

Breakdown had a great deal of character development that made me think he was eventually going to be an Autobot. It wasn't limited to Operation Breakdown. The very next episode you see him in after that he was hesitant to even attack Bulkhead because of the events in Operation Breakdown. He was also shown to have some sympathy towards the Eradicons even though it was actually Fowler he was talking to. Most villains wouldn't be so nice to a nameless grunt. That one actually disappointed me because I was not done watching that character till he became an Autobot. That was wasted potential right there.

I do agree that the only reason he seems to be a rival with Bulkhead is because they're both fat. That part I could have done without. Also when the characters were first introduced I was never quite clear which one was Knockout and which one was Breakdown. Took them longer than I thought was necessary to establish them.

I've never really thought of him as a Medic. Even though that was how he was introduced they've never shown him do a damn thing as a Medic. All of his work is done off screen if he ever actually did anything at all. Breakdown was suppose to be his partner as well and sense we never saw anything of how they work together for all we know Breakdown did all the work while Knockout took all the credit. It's not like Ratchet who we actually see working around the base. We know Ratchet is actually doing stuff. Knockout is just there and he talks but does he ever actually work? Who knows.

Silas hasn't changed one bit the entire series. I freaking love every episode he appears in. He got me threw season 1 which except for the M.E.C.H. episodes was just one plot device right after another. It was boring as hell without him getting involved.

What Prime really suffers from is lack of world building. They drop us into a story were the Transformers have been on Earth for over 10 years already if I remember correctly. Most of the episodes take place in an open desert. When they are in a populated area or an area that should be populated it seems to be severely under populated. It's to the point where on the rare occasions when there is something to look at I get really excited. It's the kind of thing you don't even notice when it's there all the time but when it's almost never there you get excited when it is.

Like if you live some place where it snows all the time you get use to seeing snow and you don't give a crap or hate it when it snows. When snow is rare for you then you freaking love it when it snows.

So for this series sense the main humans were the only humans we ever saw for all of season 1 in Nemesis Prime when there were soldiers which full on faces I got really excited just to see some nameless face. I never get excited to see a nameless background character in any other series. I only got excited about it for Prime because the world seems so freaking empty.

Maybe when the Transformers first arrived on Earth they some how wiped out most of the planet's population. We never saw them arrive and we never see many humans so it's a completely reasonable theory. Why doesn't anyone know about the Transformers? Because they had their brains erased by the government so they think it's normal to live in a town where the population is like 20 people.

Even Beast Wars had wild animals running around and cool backgrounds. Beast Machines even had lots of cool stuff in the background. Pretty much every series has stuff in the background so it isn't just dead space except this one so they can't use "CGI is expensive" as an excuse. Honestly I think the reason the scenery looks so cheap compared to other shows is because they hired big name voice actors like the Rock to be on the show. You don't see the Rock guest staring on Green Lantern and that series looks freaking amazing!

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly I like the Green Lantern The Animated Series CGI a lot,Yeah they look like action figures but then again what are Transformers toys?

But hey what their working with it's pretty good taht's why I like this show.

12. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I was all happy about your "dissecting the dissector" post, liking the fresh viewpoint, until I happened upon the last paragraph.

The animators put untold amounts of work into the scenery and backgrounds, so much so that there's little else to work with. My breath was taken away, and continues to be, every time I gaze upon the vast desert or the arctic wastes included in every scene. And, if I might bring up, Beast Wars, aside from a ridiculous budget, included background movement and roving animals almost exclusively for symbolism.

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Computer! Run a full diagnostic on this post!

Starscream in almost every incarnation is usually pathetic in some way or another. Trying to usurp Megatron and failing, being inept in combat, getting his leg caught in gigantic closing doors, etc.

Prime just ups the ante on this, and it exaggerates many of the other characters.

Now I do agree, Starscream could be a bit more useful, but right now, he is a plot MACHINE. A lot of new plot threads are showing up from things he did himself.

Megatron has changed since his encounter with Unicron. His motivations are not as clear because he has purged Dark Energon from his body, and no longer associates with it. But you are right, Megatron's plan has seemed to been thrown by the wayside. He has just begun collecting relics that were dumped on Earth, but they don't seem to be part of any agenda beyond "kill all the Autobots".

Now the interesting thing about Soundwave is he may be useless, but there seems to be a purpose to this. The writers may be deliberately doing this. It's all part of making him more mysterious. We are not really sure what he is up to, and he may have some sort of ulterior motive. He stands in the background looking creepy. While others think it's useless, I think it's brilliant. It leaves a lot of his personality, motives, etc. up to the viewer.

Hmm. Looking back ,it seems you are right. While she is still smarmy and sarcastic as always, it seems there is always that undertone of "I MUST HAVE MY REVENGE!" with her. She's kind of scary now actually!

I do have to agree with this, but I feel Breakdown's death will have implications later on, possibly relating to Knockout. However, I feel he had the most wasted potential. There was so much room to develop his character, explain what his connection to Bulkhead was, etc. Not to say this won't happen in later episodes, but I doubt we will get any more elaboration on Breakdown.

Knockout has played a role in a couple of recent episodes, but not a major one. The thing is, I don't know what kind of role he could play with the way the story is progressing now. I'm hoping for an episode that focuses on the Decepticons, what goes on in the ship, etc. where we can get some elaboration on Knockout.

I don't think much will change with him. I hope they change the design on Breakdown a bit so he is different from the actual Breakdown. I think however this whole thing will lead to many characters becoming disgusted. Cutting a character up is one thing, dancing around in their corpse is another. I think Bulkhead and Knockout will both want Silas dead for such outright disrespect.

14. soundwaverulls

Oh, a big post. I guess there could be a lot of debating ahead. I was going to reply to SaberPrime but his bit about Soundwave put me right off. I hate people who think he's awesome because he has done 2 awesome things in 35 episodes.

I know it is common for Starscream to be pathetic. What's not common is for a show to spend all of season one setting hi up as awesome, only to have him be pathetic for an entire season.

If this is character development leading up to him becoming more capable when he isn't sitting on a throne, I would like it but we don't have a clue why the writers are treating him like this and when you think about every past Starscream, you get scared this is permanent. With no knowledge of where this is leading to, I will have become sick of this Starscream by time they make him cool again. If they make him cool again.

I agree. But one thing I don't like is him going off to do the final battle by himself. He keeps abandoning his troops. If he didn't do that, Optimus would still be Orion Pax and probably dead. If Dreadwing didn't disobey his orders to stay behind, Megatron would have been killed by Optimus, after Megatron tried to have his final battle with Airachnid. He did do this in Darkness Rising but that wasn't the final battle and he didn't get defeated because of it.

That's what I hate about Soundwave. In the show, he's a boring drone who didn't do anything for 25 episodes, did two things and now hasn't done anything for 8 episodes. But in everyones minds, he's the most awesome character ever. I judge a character by what he does, not by what he could do. So to me, Soundwave is (from what I've heard) a robot Fonzie. Some guy who everyone says is awesome but rarely actually does anything awesome.

Oh. You agree. That no good for arguing.

Again, we agree. If we get more of this, there will be no need for this board.

Yes he has played a role. It's just not unique. His role is clearly a warrior. I find that to be good because the Vehicons are pathetic but I'd like him to show off his skills as a medic. That was something that no other Decepticon had (except maybe Breakdown).

Like I said, it's only a possibility. I hope he does stay calm and calculating. I also hope we see Knockout and Bulkheads reaction. It would be funny if when that happens, it would be the first time he's even heard of Breakdowns death.

Knockout: Breakdown! I haven't seen you in days. Why are you pointing your guns at him. And calling him Silas.

Megatron: Oh, I forgot to mention. Your partner was ripped to shreds by Airachnid and his remains disappeared, apparently because Mech took them and now their leader is using his rebuilt corps as a new body.

Knockout:...............................................:jawdropper: 

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Better than G1 Soundwave who did nothing awesome in all of the original cartoon.

Also, nobody thinks he's awesome because he's done two awesome things. They think he's awesome because he looks and acts awesome, and the faceless, voiceless creeper angle is fresh and original. Plus he doesn't say anything stupid.

16. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Whaaaaat?

I would elaborate on my comment, but I'm not gonna derail the thread. Carry on!

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

That he´s that quiet guy who can still kick your ass. Ask Airachnid.

Probably the thing I agree the most is Arcee.

18. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ Yup, Arcee at times is sarcastic which I don't like that part of her. ^^

19. soundwaverulls

He rarely acts awesome. That would require action. Also, he never says stupid things but at the cost of never saying anything smart either. Also, G1 Soundwave did enough, considering nobody in G1 had that much development. If you really need me to make a list, I will.

20. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Split's a known G1 hater. Don't waste your time with him.