This Series Biggest Flaw.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Apr 18, 2012.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

This series biggest flaw is its characters. I know character degrade has been discussed before but has anyone noticed just how many characters suffer from it?

Starscream: In season two Starscreams just comic relief except when it's absolutely necessary. In fact, in the Armada preview,
    he seems to have somehow gained a Tcog and is still just as pathetic.

Megatron: Most think he's awesome but compare him now to how he started out. In Darkness Rising, he had a plan and was carrying it out. When he finally returned in Sick Mind, he showed how smart he was by figuring out what Bumblebee was, that Optimus was the one dying and made a deal to get himself out. When he was fully restored in Out of His Head, he took the most awesome character in season one, Starscream, and just through him around and he seemed so awesome. He was powerful but smart as well. But now, he seems like a terrible leader who can't get anything done. In fact, what is he trying to get done?

Soundwave: He never did anything but that makes him seem so pointless. However, he did appear enough for me to slowly start liking him. But just when I decided I did, after episode 13, he just disappeared almost entirely. And if they killed him off and replaced him with a group of vehicons at a bunch of computer, would we really have lost anything other than potential that will never be fully used?

Arcee: When the series started out, she was a bad ass character who also had a soft side and would sometimes be kind and caring. Then she got a bit more depth added to her when Airachnid came. We saw how reckless she could be due to her scarred past. But in season two, it becomes hard to remember she once had a soft side and in fact, she's starting to seem insane. Her character development near the end of season one has been completely ignored by the writers and she's just as reckless and vengeful as ever.

Breakdown: While I made it clear that I wasn't disappointed when Breakdown died, that didn't mean I didn't get disappointed at one point. It's just that happened ages ago when it became clear that he wasn't going to be anything special, after he didn't do anything for ages. One wonders what the point of the character development in Operation Breakdown was when none of it play out later. Other than them fighting each other, his rivalry with Bulkhead never even played out that much. It seemed more like he they fought because they both had the role of bruiser, not because they were rivals. They never talked about each other and barely even talked to each other.

Knockout: He is still hilarious but his role seemed to have quickly degraded. When this series started out, Knockout was the Decepticons medic. But, just like Soundwave, it seems like they ran out of any good use for him after the halfway point of season one. After that, he never showed his medical abilities again until Stronger Faster (where he's more of a scientist. Just a note) and then never showed them again. He is a better fighter than most Decepticon troopers but I miss his medical role. It gave him a unique role amongst the Decepticons.

Silas: This is only a possibility but Nemesis Prime made it seem like as soon as Silas gets his hands on a bigger body, he stops being calm and collected and becomes yet another bragger, excited by his own awesomeness. His calculating personality was a welcome change to me and I will be hugely disappointed if he becomes a bragging "mustache twisting villain" permanently when he gets his mind put in Breakdowns remains.

I know that every TF series seems to have at least one big flaw but I just never added up how many characters they've change in bad ways before. It isn't a huge problem but I feel the writers could be doing a lot better. So, what's your thoughts on this?

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

*gets up and leaves*

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Come on now. He made a lot of good points.

Don't be a blind fanboy. The board is full of those already.

4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think your a little too harsh on the characters, yeah they have flaws but I'm sure the "mistakes" will get evened out.

5. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

*comes back and sits down*

I'd rather not waste my time with an opinionated argument.

*leaves again*

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not the only thing this board is full of.

7. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, starscream has fallen quite a bit since his debut in ep 1, but Steve Blum did say Screamer gets beat up a lot this season, so all of this happening right now isn't completely by surprise. I'm really hoping that the season finale, or eps near it will have badass Starscream back (similar in episode placing to 'Partners') where he realizes how seriously he needs to be taken, and gains control over the situation of the war in his own way

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How exactly did Silas lose his "calculating" in Nemesis Prime again? He was obviously happy since his project was finally up, but he didn't do anything wrong. With Fowler in the room he had no choice but to engage him in combat.

The only wrong thing he did was freeze up when the giant robot was falling on him, but hey, he is cold, but he is a freaking human. It's pretty shocking to look up and suddenly see your masterpiece literally falling apart and falling on you.

Don't really feel like writing about others but I'll agree with Arcee. What the fuck was that with her attacking Airachnid last in Crossfire when both Orion Pax and one Shall Fall showed she had gotten over it? She grew up, she developed, she learned her lesson, except when the writer decided she didn't.

Most of all, that was completely pointless. If they wanted Arcee to attack Airachnid solo the writer could've doen it without making it look like she was out for revenge. Instead of AIRACHNID'S MIIINE! ARCEE NO!!! they could've just made her say "I will engage Airachnid while shes's distracted" "Good thinking Arcee go for it woohoo you rock gurl"

It's dumber than dumb because it has NO REASON to be dumb. It could've happened without the vengeful tone and contradicted character development that did happen. I noticed that seconds after the scene happened and I can't write a fucking e-mail to a friend without bumbling out with words. When you manage to be dumber than me you've got some problems.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    First off the flaws that they do have aren't as bad as you make them out to be. Second of all most of these like Arcee takes time to get over these flaws when it comes to character development. Thirdly it may be due to writers not paying attention to a characters devleopment like hte case of Arcee. The writer didn't seem to have payed attention to Arcee's progress. Why blame the character fully when you can blame the writer who made her like this who shares the blame as well? Finally these sound more like opinons on the show which isn't bad but it's another story if they're trying to pass as facts. I'm not saying this as a fan of Prime. I'm saying this as a person who looks at a show carefully and think about what other people's views on it are good or bad and see if any of them are right.

In Prime's case it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be. Some people view Prime as being the next Armada or even Energon when it's really more like Animated before it kicked off to a grand run.

10. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I've been thinking on the characters, and I have to admit, for the most part, soundwaverulls is right, especially about Starscream, Arcee, Breakdown, and Silas. Megatron is still awesome, but we haven't had any build-up to what he is planning. He's doing the relic hunt in hopes of finding something juicy, but other than that, he's playing reactive, which is a major problem given that the Autobots are some of the least proactive folks I've seen in a while.

While I miss Knockout's medic role, I still get a kick out of him, and Soundwave is still good.

Another character that suffered immensely from this is Optimus, whom I've gone about a lot, especially recently. I think that the writers are still stuck in their episodic, one-shot, slow-burn routine from Season One, though I would love to be proved wrong.

11. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL here we go...

12. crewboy7

crewboy7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I couldn't disagree more. Starscream is one of the most versatile, developed characters in the series. He's no comic relief, his role is very critical. He's provided the autobots with information several times that was critical. He's practically taken on Swindle's role as an willing to deal with the highest bidder. Btw, the T-cog is easily explainable, there are so many floating around, from the busted Nemesis Prime to Breakdown's old T-cog or he may have even ripped one out of a vehicon. It'll take less then 3 min of screen time to explain.

Prime Soundwave IMHO is the best incarnation of Soundwave ever. By a long shot. And Soundwave is my favorite character. He's silent. Deadly silent. He's so perfectly competent that it's obvious that ever single movement has some purpose behind it. He constantly undermined Starscream's attempts to usurp the command from Megatron, and effectively led the decepticons himself, all without Starscream knowing. The first time Soundwave ever really got in a physical confrontation was with the obviously highly skilled and dangerous Arachnid. He had her head beneath his foot within five perfectly executed moves. During "Orion Pax" in one of the coolest scenes in Transformers history, he was able to remove Arcee using only expert manipulation of Ground Bridge Technology. Do not fuck with Soundwave. He will make you wish you were dead, and you won't even suspect it's him that's doing it to you.

13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I was just putting out my thoughts on it nothing more. You don't have to agree if you don't want to.

14. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Soundwaverulls, I would respectfully like to place you in my Friends List now after using logic and not rambling on in a post.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol

16. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    Well made points (I should note however, that Optimus, BB, Bulkhead, and Ratchet have actually gotten better after Darkness Rising). I believe the writers could make more of an effort to show that Megatron has an actual plan in store, as well as giving Starscream some wins.

Arcee can get over the whole vengeance thing now. Id like Armada to end with her not killing Airachnid and get shoved out of the way by Soundwave (who proceeds to kill the spider. I can dream).

Breakdown is very much missed, but Transformers has a history of utterly pointless deaths (see the 80s movie, Terrorsaur and Scorponok from BW, and Blurr from TFA), so I'm not gonna complain too much. He had a lot of potential though.

Knockout definitely needs more spotlight. But that's minor.

Silas is fine. Just don't fuck up his next storyline. Prime writers, if you're listening, give us Menasor. You want it, we want it, make it happen.

I could also do with another Autobot on the cast, but that's forgivable cuz Bulkhead and Ratchet are so awesome.

Meh, the shows still pretty solid if you ask me. The writing is only just above average, but the visuals and voice acting, those keep me coming back.

17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

BTW, I said it's the biggest flaw. That doesn't actually say that it's huge, just bigger than the rest IMO. It doesn't help that Starscream was my favorite I guess.

18. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

To me, the show's biggest flaw is that the plot takes precedence over the characters and that changes the characters to match the plots, even if it doesn't make sense.

I still love Knock Out though. Need me moar of dat.

19. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    I feel that a little bit but I look over smalls things like that so often it doesn't bother me Lol.

20. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well here's my opinions of the characters in response to the original post.

Starscream: I'm guessing comic relief is kind of the point for Starscream this season, so far at least. He thinks he's mighty, wonderful, and powerful, and yet he's really, as you say, pathetic. He proves he can be a threat if he tried, but he's such a coward it's sad. That said, I like Starscream this season, so no complaints from me. I get the feeling he's just getting a bunch of slack now so his comeback later will be even better. It'll make you feel he deserves that moment when you remember what he's gone through, and then you think 'wait, he's a bad guy, I'm not supposed to be rooting for him'.

Megatron: He's trying to defeat the Autobots, get the relics, and conquer Earth. Admittedly he doesn't seem to be doing much or making much progress with any of those, his only success that I can think of being that he got the Prime hammer. So I will agree with you that I'm not sure what his EXACT plan is, although I can get a sense of something.

Soundwave: He's not a pointless character, at any point in this series. He's been shown as the background character that keeps things running. The reason he's not really seen much is that the majority of what he does isn't physical work. Without him I'd say the Decepticons would be more disfunctional then they are now. And Vehicons could never replace him. He took Airachnid down so easy, the Vehicons would have had trouble without a doubt.

Arcee: I understand and think you make a fair point with Arcee, I'm also getting tired of her raging whenever she sees a Decepticon.

Breakdown: I'll agree that there is potential for some wasted character potential, but until it's clear we're not getting some more character development through the eyes of Bulkhead's flashbacks or memories or something like that, I'll hold off on that. I did like that they killed him as it showed they were willing to kill characters that people had grown to like. What I don't like is that the scene at the end of Operation: Breakdown where Breakdown is now in Starscream's debt is now pointless. I mean, that had every indication that somewhere down the road it would become an important plot point, but now it's just an unfulfilled repayment.

Knock Out: I agree that Knock Out should be used more, especially since he's the medic of the Decepticons. Although to be fair there's not many Decepticons left for him to work on, there's just Megatron, Dreadwing, or a random Vehicon.

Silas: Like shroobmaster said, Silas never really lost his cool. He was in control and dominated the entire episode with Nemesis Prime. He only made the mistake of leaving his Optimus clone uncontrolled a little too long, but at any rate he would have had to leave to deal with Fowler until more MECH soldiers could arrive. He just gloated a little too long after he got Fowler down.

EDIT: Sorry, I started posting before the OP edited in that they wanted it closed.